Nissan Recalls Nearly 540,000 Vehicles Worldwide

TOKYO (AFP) – Japan's Nissan Motor said Wednesday it would recall nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide, most of them in the United States, due to brake pedal defects and faulty fuel gauges.

Nissan -- Japan's third-largest carmaker, and partnered with France's Renault -- said it plans "to inspect and, if necessary, repair brake pedal pins and fuel-gauge components on certain trucks and minivans".

"No accidents or injuries have been reported with these issues," it added.

The recalls also affect Canada, Mexico, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Taiwan, Nissan North America said in a statement.

The models with faulty brake pedals are the Titan pickup trucks, the Armada and Infiniti QX56 SUVs and Quest minivans built between 2008 and 2010, the company said. Nissan plans to pull 178,916 units from US roads and another 25,869 in other countries to fix the brake pedal pins.

"When the pin loosens, the brake pedal gets wobbly. In the worst case, the brake pedal slips towards the outside and it becomes difficult to operate on the road," said Nissan spokesman Mitsuru Yonekawa.

The company said three customer complaints of brake pedal pins loosening and causing problems with braking had been reported in the United States.

Nissan said it inspected 6,000 vehicles following the first report in December but found no defects.

The fuel gauge defect recall covers the Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56 built from 2005 to 2008, and the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra produced between January and March 2006 and between October 2007 and January 2008.

The problem affects 418,865 US vehicles and 53,253 elsewhere, Nissan said. Related article: Toyota fixing 1.3 million vehicles over oil leak

Both problems occur in some of the 2008 models of the Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56.

"Vehicles at higher mileage levels may have fuel gauges which incorrectly indicate the amount of fuel in the tank. This may result in the vehicle running out of fuel while the gauge reads greater than empty," a Nissan statement said.

Until their fuel gauges are repaired, customers with affected vehicles are encouraged to maintain a fuel level of at least half a tank, it said.

Nissan blamed the manufacturing errors on its suppliers.

A spokesman said Canada-based KSR International had manufactured the faulty brake pedal pins, while Paris-based Inergy Automotive Systems was responsible for the fuel gauge problem.

Nissan's action follows recalls by the world's largest carmaker, Toyota, whose faulty accelerator and braking systems have been blamed for 52 deaths in the US, prompting its president to apologise before Washington lawmakers.

Honda, Japan's second-biggest carmaker, just three weeks ago recalled more than 400,000 vehicles to fix airbags, saying that they could explode and spray out potentially deadly metal shards.

In January Honda announced a recall of 646,000 vehicles after a fire hazard involving a defective window switch resulted in a death.

Nissan shares were down 0.43 percent to 702 yen at the close in Tokyo trade.

Linky Here

Here's the facts that nissan has released during our conference call this AM.

There are 3 recalls

Recall 1 - 2009-2010 Armada Titan, and 08-10 Quest

Potential for the brake piviot pin to come out of place causing reduced braking ability.

Number is incidents in north america - 0 (ZERO)

Recall 2 - 05-10 Titan, Armada

Potential for the fuel guage to read 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel but be actually empty

Recall 3 - 06 and 08 frontier xterrra pathfinder

Potential for the fuel guage to read 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel but be actually empty

Nissan is stressing that they are being PRO-active for the brake pedal pin, not RE-active as toyota was with their recalls.

There has been no reports of any accidents or injuries.

The actual numbers may be 500,000 vehicles worldwide, but the numbers for canada released this morning are:

3900 08-10 Titan's

438 08-10 Armada's

1400 08-09 Quests

no numbers were released for the xterra/frontier/pathfinder recall.

I will post more information as I recieve it.

We got that same conferance call yesterday. I shake my head. we have to do this now or the media will rip us to shreds. Gahhhh, automakers have recalls all the time. This is nothing new people.

Time to board up the house, quit driving, cant take a plane(it will crash or flown into a building), cant take train(will fall off track or hit mudslide), walking is hazordous as it will wear out my knees, cant go outside or pollution will kill me, and stading in the sun is out of the question. Eating anything that is not grown in the soil that I created is deadly, staring at the tv will ruin my eyes, listening to the radio will hurt my ears, using my computer will cripple my hands(ouch, btw). Anyone got a tinted earth-friendly plastic bubble for sale?

I guess you will remain naked and sweatly, sitting in a bean bag chair, covered with cheeto dust where it is safe... :lol:

I do agree completely with you though. A guy at work already said something about to me. I simply said "Not my model, but if it did develope a problem, I'd simply fix it..."

B

Oh yeah, the chair. Well.........the dog chewed it up....got rid of the dog. I mailed you a piece. Enjoy.

I was just making the point about everything in life now having a disclaimer. You should go to your local are dealer and look at new cars. There is at least 5 different warning stickers in the car before you buy it. Its people with no common sense making this country/world a worse place to live in. Really? Did the lady who put her hot McDonalds coffee really need to know that the contents inside were hot? ITS HOT COFFEE!! Yet, she sued and won.

Got more details today about the brake pin on the big trucks.

Looks like during a production run of the brake pedal assemblies the pin that the brake pedal piviots on before the pushrod was not mushroomed at the end after production, it was just left as pressed in.

They don't know which pedal assemblies went in what vin#'s by the looks of it, so they are inspecting every vehicle during those years made.

They expect a 1% replacement rate, so it sounds like they didn't make many of the pedal assy's with the issue, it's just they don't know what vehicles they went in.

Here's the facts that nissan has released during our conference call this AM.

There are 3 recalls

Recall 1 - 2009-2010 Armada Titan, and 08-10 Quest

Potential for the brake piviot pin to come out of place causing reduced braking ability.

Number is incidents in north america - 0 (ZERO)

Recall 2 - 05-10 Titan, Armada

Recall 3 - 06 and 08 frontier xterrra pathfinder

Nissan is stressing that they are being PRO-active for the brake pedal pin, not RE-active as toyota was with their recalls.

There has been no reports of any accidents or injuries.

The actual numbers may be 500,000 vehicles worldwide, but the numbers for canada released this morning are:

3900 08-10 Titan's

438 08-10 Armada's

1400 08-09 Quests

no numbers were released for the xterra/frontier/pathfinder recall.

I will post more information as I recieve it.

From what I seen Toyota has been far from even RE-active. They blew off their problems for months blaming everything but there electronics (defending the electrics and Blaming the driver) instead of even trying to fix the problem. They are still adamant there is not an issue with there electronics. I sure hope for there sake that they don't find out it was really the electronics.

Just my opinion.

Edited by msavides

Got more details today about the brake pin on the big trucks.

Looks like during a production run of the brake pedal assemblies the pin that the brake pedal piviots on before the pushrod was not mushroomed at the end after production, it was just left as pressed in.

They don't know which pedal assemblies went in what vin#'s by the looks of it, so they are inspecting every vehicle during those years made.

They expect a 1% replacement rate, so it sounds like they didn't make many of the pedal assy's with the issue, it's just they don't know what vehicles they went in.

Just got to do my first inspection yesterday. I get paid .2(hr) to look up and make sure the pin is mushrrom correctly. Pretty lame, but understandable. If one does have a problems, I dont see how you couldnt tell. It looks like the pedal would move quite a bit. Bet I might only see one, ever.

• 2 months later...

To be honest, I'm &^%*ing impressed... this shows that A) they care about their customers enough TO knee-jerk about a POSSIBLE problem (oooh, a faulty fuel gauge and a brake pedal that wears out... scary... least the accelerator comes back up :P) and B) They are ready to take action to fix said issues :)

Bravisimo!

My Titan is an 06 so I don't have the brake pin issue, but I do have the fuel gauge problem. My dealer changed it once and the new unit does the same thing.

And i don't think Nissan cares much about there customers because it took a lot of hell raising before they changed the unit out. They wouldn't believe me that it was screwing up because it always read correctly when I brought it in. They never did fix the brake issue I had either. They just kept making excuses for why the truck would shake when braking. Nothing more aggravating than having a $36,000 truck with 4000 miles shaking like a piece of crap every time I stop! I finally (hopefully) fixed the problem with some slotted frozen rotors and hawk performance pads. It just kills me to have to pay out of my own pocket ($425 just for the front) to fix a problem that the truck had since it was new. Thats why I wont be buying another Nissan.

Sorry for venting just I been through alot of crap with this titan and the 04 I had before it.

James

My Titan is an 06 so I don't have the brake pin issue, but I do have the fuel gauge problem. My dealer changed it once and the new unit does the same thing.

And i don't think Nissan cares much about there customers because it took a lot of hell raising before they changed the unit out. They wouldn't believe me that it was screwing up because it always read correctly when I brought it in. They never did fix the brake issue I had either. They just kept making excuses for why the truck would shake when braking. Nothing more aggravating than having a $36,000 truck with 4000 miles shaking like a piece of crap every time I stop! I finally (hopefully) fixed the problem with some slotted frozen rotors and hawk performance pads. It just kills me to have to pay out of my own pocket ($425 just for the front) to fix a problem that the truck had since it was new. Thats why I wont be buying another Nissan.

Sorry for venting just I been through alot of crap with this titan and the 04 I had before it.

James

They did adress the brake problem, with updated brake pads and rotors. There was a campaign on that too, they replaced the pads and rotors at no charge.

I've never had a truck come back with a brake problem after installing the updated parts, maybe yours in a one-off, or posssibly someone put the wrong pads on the truck as part of the campaign, or as a repair afterwards.