Help To Remove Motor And Trans

dart6

Hi i have a 89 terrano V6 auto and have no access to a hoist.

I'm wondering if i could take them out thru where the radiator is if i open it all up

Not really worried about the body as i will likely part it.

Has anyone done this or is there an easier way, thanks for looking

Even pulling them out the front you'd need some sort of hoist to support them and lift them off the mounts. I don't think there's anyway safe to move the pieces without one. While I can't speak for NZ, Used hoists can be found here in the US without looking too hard. Check local classified advertisements or search craigslist. Here in the US, the better tool rental shops can rent one, but as the Chinese-made engine hoists are of reasonable quality these days, it often is cheaper to buy a used one, and resell it, since most people only use them once or twice. Good Luck.

Edited by RJSquirrel

Agreed. You will need a hoist of some sort to do it safely. That said, as long as the truck can roll, I have used garage rafters, a come-along and several straps before with good success...

B

If you go the garage rafter method, get some 4x4 posts to support the rafter on each side of the car, so you don't drop the ceiling on you half way through the lift process.

True. I ran a beam across 4 or 5 rafters, spreading the weight over 1/2 the stucture so it was a non issue. I would never tie off on one rafter and didn't consider that anyone would... :blink:

B

rafters are actually pretty strong, i use a piece of metal pipe casing across 4 rafters and have lifted 6bt Cummins engines without a problem, and a chain hoist works wonders, i have a cherry picker and dont use it, as most trucks are too tall to use one anyway.

ok just say i could get it raised what is the best way to go about it.Is taking it out the front not an option as i don't mind cutting the front up

thanks for looking

Its a lot easier to take the rad support and get it out from the front..If I were you id rent a hoist but if you do rent one get everything disconnected on the motor and trannsmission first and prep everything so that all you have to do is hook up the hoist and pull the motor and tranny out all at once.

Last time I pulled a complete driveline it was a 2wd HB and I was scrapping the remains so I cut the rad support out to have more work room. Make friends with a wrecker driver, can use the winch and boom to pull it out (that's my engine hoist at least)

Well i've got an engine hoist so i'll be right there.I'm gonna leave it leave it in for now so any potential buyer can test it then i;ll keep ya posted to how i got on and thanks again for the replies

Cheers

Brett