T Belt

dell1973

hey guys

yesterday i was driving along and my t-belt broke. motor shut off right away.i costed to a stop took off the cap to see the rotor no spin when you tap the key.before i waste my time in replacing the belt do you think i bent any valves? and is there any way to tell.

thanks

I think with interference motors it is almost a guarantee that you bent valves. but who knows, maybe you got lucky.

pretty sure the only way to tell is to take the heads off, or to replace the belt and see if it fires.

just hope for the best. if you can put the belt yourself that would be good then you can tell if you did by running it. but if you hd a shop to do it and find out it has bent valves then you would still have to pay them the labor of putting the belt in. anyway good luck. dont keep cranking it with a bad belt or else it will really happen.

Edited by ac92pathfinder

Well, if you were driving when it broke, odds are any damage is already done and odds are that the valves (at least) are damaged. Buy a timing belt and install it and see if it fires. Depending from there, do a compression check or just pull the heads or throw in the towel. :shrug:

Sorry to hear though, how many miles since the last time it was changed?

B

My wife's 01 quest with the 3.3L broke the timing belt and didn't bend any valves, so you might get lucky.

James

quest and ford had some deal requiring a non-interference engine, for just such occasions. any vehicle with a vg, aside from a quest/villager will almost undoubtedly bend valves, as silverton said.

thanks guys. goning put a belt on this weekend and hope for the best. have nothing to lose put my weekend

Put the belt on, then start it up, if it runs funny do a compression test and that will tell you which ones are bent.

hey guys

i just got done taking it apart got down to the belt. i don't know if this is a good thing or not the belt did not break i lost about 8 teeth on the belt down by the crank gear. going to put the new one on and see what happens.

got the belt on and fired it up .it run but like it has a miss, like a plug wire off.i guess it a exhaust valve that got bent?

Could be, recheck all your wires and plugs then do the compression test. It could also be that the belt is off a tooth, is it an actual miss or does it just shudder?

Edited by GrimGreg

all most like a shudder.i just looked at it again the lines on the belt are they suppose to line up with the dots on the cam every time if you start and and stop the motor . the dot all line up but when i just checked it after running it the linesare no where near the dots on the cam gear. i'm i makeing sense.

it starts right up every time. but when you rev it up it just don't sound right like theres a hesitation or something. you can rev it up and theres no odd noise or anything. this is my 1st time doing it. i got the info off the site on how to do it. it may be off a couple teeth or something. anyone in south jersey want to make some money to come by and check it out and help me fix it .

It is actually very simple to get it all back in time. You put the #1 cylinder at the top, then put the belt on the crank sprocket. Count 43 teeth from the punch mark on the crank to the punch mark on the driver's side camshaft sprocket. Once that is set, count 40 teeth from the punch mark on the driver's side camshaft sprocket to the punch mark on the passenger's side camshaft sprocket. That is as in-time as it will ever be. Note that the punch marks on the sprockets may not line up perfectly with the dimples on the timing cover, but you can rely 100% on the method I just described.

this was on another post when you do this do you use the lines on the belt or do you just pick a spot any where on the belt?

had zero compression in one cylinder. number 1 had a reading og 130 the one next to that one had zero and the next one after that one had 127 .replacing the heads.

Sorry that happen to you, hope you get it back on the road soon...

i wouldnt replace...i'd repair depending on the damage...I'd get new valve seals, cam seals, and new valves...lap in the new valves and rebuild the heads and install them...I did it on my 87 and bent up 3 vlaves...replaced all of them and rebuilt the heads as mentioned (i've also posted this recently)...total job I think was somewhere along the lines of $300 including buying a torque wrench and valve spring compressor valve lapping kit top end rebuild gasket/seal kit, timing belt 12 valves and water pump took 3 days but 1 day was b/c one valve was in the wrong box