How Many Of You Wheel With Auto Trans?

Vanganator

Hey All, just wondering how many of you wheel with auto transmission? I just recently acquired a clean 1990 Pathfinder for $300 so can't complain. It has a rebuilt engine and a new tranny, but needs a transfer case. It has a clicking noise coming from the transfer case area while driving. He got it checked out before selling it, and his mechanic said its the transfer case. So will be getting one from the junk yard in a week or so to replace it. Also replacing all the brakes front and rear.

Anyways, I'm thinking about a 3" suspension lift and 32's BFG Mud-Terrain KM's. Or might just stay with 31's. I never wheeled with an auto tranny before so just thought I ask how many of you wheel with auto's.

Oh, a bit bout my Pathfinder...166K miles, SE V6, open rear end(unfortunately)...

IMG_8332.jpg

The T-case noise might be a worn out chain. Though, usually you can get a complete one at the J-yards for $50 or less.

Both of mine are auto, lets put it this way, I don't stall 20 times while trying to get over a single obsticle. :aok:

I don't stall 20 times while trying to get over a single obsticle. :aok:

exactly why i wanted an auto for my 4x4. Even though I'm pretty skilled with a clutch, i'd rather not waste my time with it

oh, and another thing. as it's an automatic, if there isn't one already, be sure to purchase an external transmission cooler, and bypass the one that is in the radiator.

Edited by silverton

All transmission coolers are pretty much the same, supposedly there's only a couple of factories in the world that make them, all the companies just buy them and rebrand them.

I was going to put two transmission coolers from early 90's Ford Explorers in mine before my auto bit the dust. They're way cheaper than buying them new and work just as well.

Also I love wheeling in my auto, I've never had any problems with it on the trail.

i love my auto, it cruises up dunes, although it may be roaring the whole way @ like 5000-6000rpm :P

I kinda wish it was manual for the amount of city driving I do and its kinda a PITA to feather the pedal to choose gears, especially on highway (but my trans is on its last legs, and I'm on 33's)

I know a guy who wheels his 2dr HARD and he apparently he said he hates wheeling with his 5spd.....but thats just his opinion I guess

The T-case noise might be a worn out chain. Though, usually you can get a complete one at the J-yards for $50 or less.

the chain would only make noise when in 4x4 and it takes some work to stretch it(jumping, big tires, aftermarket t-case gears...)

anyway be sure to check the fwd seal on the new t-case before you install it... because if it leaks not only do you gotta take the case off again but the WHOLE CASE (all 3 sections) has to come apart to change the FWD seal (seal goes in and out from the inside) the other case seals can be replaced on the vehicle.

my "new" d 21 is auto, its not too bad, i dont mind it. But my pathy that is now a donor is a 5 speed and i loved wheeling with it. even in 4 hi i found the tranny to geared pretty low. and it was/is a 4 door.

im starting to miss the ole' girl. sometimes i think about putting the pathy body on the hardbody frame. :blush02:

Well, I have to say, with the ignition problems that I have been fawking with lately. I have to say that manual is nice because your never left stranded.

Left your lights on..... Push it

Starter bunged.......... Push it

Weak Battery............ Push it

Other than that, 4Lo in second = no clutch and most obstacles cleared.

Well, I have to say, with the ignition problems that I have been fawking with lately. I have to say that manual is nice because your never left stranded.

:shrug:

4lo in first Automatic and a little bit of gas and my Pathy would go anywhere (well as long as the auto hubs weren't busted :lol: )

i have an auto, but i wish i had got a 5-speed instead. I don't like the auto on the highway or city at all. I can handle a 5-speed on the trail, and i have also heard they have a tall 1st gear. Not sure if you can get them with 4.6 R+P gears, or if those gears came on the trucks with factory 31's. But yeah, having the ability to start the truck with a dead starter or weak battery is worth any "trouble" you would have with the MT on a trail.

i have an auto, but i wish i had got a 5-speed instead. I don't like the auto on the highway or city at all. I can handle a 5-speed on the trail, and i have also heard they have a tall 1st gear. Not sure if you can get them with 4.6 R+P gears, or if those gears came on the trucks with factory 31's. But yeah, having the ability to start the truck with a dead starter or weak battery is worth any "trouble" you would have with the MT on a trail.

MT's have a super short 1st gear. after swapping out the auto for the 5 speed I definitely like the 5speed better - although the auto did just fine and was much nicer to drive in heavy stop and go traffic

And as long as the auto tranny worked...

I've never wheeled an auto, but my new pathy has one so we'll see how it goes. By default, I prefer the inherent control of a manual.

B

Hey first still works!

Its just second and fourth that are missing :chairfall:

Fair enough, I suppose first and reverse is all that really matters... :D

Yours isn't the RR4R01A, is it?? I have the repair manual for one sitting on my desk.

Interestingly enough it says Mazda/Nissan so I wonder if/what Mazdas can be donors??

B

Fair enough, I suppose first and reverse is all that really matters... :D

Yours isn't the RR4R01A, is it?? I have the repair manual for one sitting on my desk.

Interestingly enough it says Mazda/Nissan so I wonder if/what Mazdas can be donors??

B

IIRC the Mazda version is for FWD

There's also a Subaru version too I think

You can push start an auto, need a little more speed to "pop-it", but can be done.

I wheel with an auto. I thought I might miss the control of a manual, but if you mod the wiring harness to give yourself manual control of the lockup of the torque converter, you have very nearly the engine braking control a manual provides. The auto is definitely a smoother way to apply power, allowing you to focus on the obstacle at hand. I'd want the 3.92:1 t-case gears to smooth out crawling if I used the manual.

My $0.02