89 To 91 Swap

ditchdiggerjcf

I am considering buying one of the two door pathfinders I have found.They are all two door SE off road with a 3.0 and an auto trans. I am wondering how much stuff off of my 91 4 door SE off road will fit the earlier model pathfinder. Also, how hard would a 3.3 swap be in this earlier model truck?

Are the carbed motors complete turds?

first of all its not a carb, Idono how maytimes I say this but it has 2 electronic fuel injectors at the top of the throttle body.

Second it is not a complete turd, in fact mine has 240k on it and I will likely be building another motor on the same setup.

Now for your swaps...

3.3 and 3.0 are the same short block with the exeption of a larger bore and the water jacket holes are about 1/8 inch off but the can be aligned to the others heads by routing out the differance in the head gasket to allow proper flow.

3.3 heads use the same internals but were made using a superior casting process and have 10mm exhaust studs instead of 8mm

Your best bet if you are looking at 3.3 swaps AND parts from your 91 would be to;

swap the ECU, harness, sensors, TB, manifold and all MPFI @!*% from the 91 onto a 3.3 block and heads (3.0 ecu is simpler and has less stupid codes to throw and 3.3 intake was too big to maintain a High torqe air charge) when you put it into your 2 door.

first of all its not a carb, Idono how maytimes I say this but it has 2 electronic fuel injectors at the top of the throttle body.

Second it is not a complete turd, in fact mine has 240k on it and I will likely be building another motor on the same setup.

x2, only ever had minor troubles with it.

About 10 hp and 1-2 MPG, all things dependent. Other consideration is the AIV valve rusting out, the mixture heater failing, something with the EGR valve IIRC and no snorkels available. They are also harder to get to pass stringent smog laws...

If they were terrible, they wouldn't still be on the road but I have to say, given a choice, I would not choose TBI... :shrug:

B

About 10 hp and 1-2 MPG, all things dependent. Other consideration is the AIV valve rusting out, the mixture heater failing, something with the EGR valve IIRC and no snorkels available. They are also harder to get to pass stringent smog laws...

If they were terrible, they wouldn't still be on the road but I have to say, given a choice, I would not choose TBI... :shrug:

B

wow, I have to do way too much driving to give up that many MPG. My 91 with mpfi is only getting 18 mpg. That would put the tbi engine at 16. :omg: I guess I will look for a wrecked nissan with a 3.3. Which model nissan's came with the 3.3 ?

Edited by ditchdiggerjcf

wow, I have to do way too much driving to give up that many MPG. My 91 with mpfi is only getting 18 mpg. That would put the tbi engine at 16. :omg: I guess I will look for a wrecked nissan with a 3.3. Which model nissan's came with the 3.3 ?

96-01 Pathfinders

Earlier X-terras

Earlier Frontiers

Sorry, I can't be more accurate than that.

I did say 1-2 depending... Best thing is to go with lighter rims and smaller tires with a smooth rolling tread, a cat back system and some sort of aftermarket air filter for the best gas mileage. You may get more than 20mpg that way. My 95xe with 31" ATs on it got 21+ mpg one trip...

B

when I firtst did my headers my TBI got me 22.5 one trip from seattle. Its not very often that I drive with bald tires, no spare on back and no seats installed (let allone no clutter to add weight) so I don't think I will see that # again any time soon. Most road trips MY TBI gets me in the 18.5-19 range and thats a fully loaded vehicle.

People who have done 3.3 swaps have also reported a 1-2 mpg gain because the engine is not working as hard. So I'm thinking if you do 3.3 & MPFI you May gain 3-4 MPG.

Now thats big!

Get your 3.3 from engine and engine improter or ebay. you will find them with under 60k for about $1-2k in good condition.

let this link help guide you.

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=205223&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Edited by MY1PATH

when I firtst did my headers my TBI got me 22.5 one trip from seattle. Its not very often that I drive with bald tires, no spare on back and no seats installed (let allone no clutter to add weight) so I don't think I will see that # again any time soon. Most road trips MY TBI gets me in the 18.5-19 range and thats a fully loaded vehicle.

People who have done 3.3 swaps have also reported a 1-2 mpg gain because the engine is not working as hard. So I'm thinking if you do 3.3 & MPFI you May gain 3-4 MPG.

Now thats big!

Get your 3.3 from engine and engine improter or ebay. you will find them with under 60k for about $1-2k in good condition.

let this link help guide you.

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=205223&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

still no luck on the 3.3

96-01 Pathfinders

Earlier X-terras

Earlier Frontiers

Sorry, I can't be more accurate than that.

I did say 1-2 depending... Best thing is to go with lighter rims and smaller tires with a smooth rolling tread, a cat back system and some sort of aftermarket air filter for the best gas mileage. You may get more than 20mpg that way. My 95xe with 31" ATs on it got 21+ mpg one trip...

B

My 88 Auto with 31" AT's got low 20's on mostly highway trips.

16 otherwise