Re4R01A Hd Transmission Information

RJSquirrel

All,

I've been doing some research as to the issues related to performing a VH45 swap into a WD21 and want to retain an automatic transmission, preferably a RE4R01A or RE4R03A (Infiniti Q45 as donor). I'm not sure if the RE4R01A-HD has the same torque ratings as the RE4R403A or not, but at the very least, it should hold up nicely behind a modded VG33E/VG34E swap since its designed to back a VQ35DE. There are no mentions of changes to the case, so I'm hoping a TX-10 will just bolt up. Sorry I don't have an more complete information.

BTW: I just found the list, I was unable to locate any of the figures referred to in the list. Also, I'm not sure how to externally ID one version of the 4E4R01A or the other. I imagine the serial #s or casting #s would reveal this. Maybe our friendly Nissan parts counter guys can help out here. You all know at least what I know now. Depressing, huh?

Enjoy:

NISSAN RE4R01A-HD

PARTS INTERCHANGEABILITY

CHANGE:

At the start of production for the 2001 model year the RE4R01A underwent significant changes in many of the internal parts which include the pump and converter as well as many of the drive and driven components.

REASON:

These changes were implemented in order to create a “heavy duty” version of this transmission to accommodate the more powerful 3.5 Liter engine that the Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4 were to receive.

PARTS AFFECTED:

(1) The Light Duty Low/Reverse Clutch Piston is .965” tall and uses individual return springs and retainer.

The Heavy Duty Low/Reverse Piston is .709” tall and uses a return spring assembly.

(2) The Light Duty Forward Drum has a 3.78” opening for the sprag which is a 34 element unit (Refer to Figure 1) and the low/reverse clutch lug area is1.77” tall. The Heavy Duty Forward Drum has a 3.86” diameter opening for the sprag which is a 30 element unit and the low/reverse clutch lug area is1.65” tall.

(3) The Light Duty Overrun Sprag Outer Race is stamped and has an overall height of 2.382”

The Heavy Duty Overrun Sprag Outer Race is cast and has an overall height of 2.47”

(4) The Light Duty Rear Planet is a Four (4) Pinion design, (Refer to Figure 2).

The Heavy Duty Rear Planet is a Five (5) Pinion design, (Refer to Figure 2).

(5) The Light Duty Front Planet is a Three (3) Pinion design and the pinions are riveted.

The Heavy Duty Front Planet is a Four (4) Pinion design and the pinions are held in by screws,

(Refer to Figure 3).

(6) The Light Duty High Clutch Hub is .875” in overall height, (Refer to Figure 4).

The Heavy Duty High Clutch Hub is 1.133” in overall height, (Refer to Figure 4)

(7) The Light Duty High Clutch Drum is stamped and is 2.030” in overall height. It will accept up to Four (4) Friction Plates. The Reverse Input Clutch Hub at the bottom of the drum is 5.295” in diameter, (Refer to Figure 5).

The Heavy Duty High Clutch Drum is a thicker stamping and is 2.505” in overall height. It will accept up to Five (5) Friction Plates. The Reverse Input Clutch Hub at the bottom of the drum is 5.017” in diameter, Refer to Figure 5).

(8) The Light Duty Front Sun Gear is an Eight (8) Lug design.

The Heavy Duty Front Sun Gear is a Twelve (12) Lug design, (Refer to Figure 6).

(9) The Reverse Input Friction Plates for the Light Duty and Heavy Duty both have 30 teeth. However, the Light Duty Friction Plates have a LARGER inside diameter than the Heavy duty Friction Plates have.

(10) The Light Duty Reverse Input Drum is stamped and is 2.559” in overall height. The drum has Eight (8) Lugs in order to accommodate the Eight (8) Lug Front Sun Gear.

The Heavy Duty Reverse Input Drum is cast and is 3.011” in overall height. The drum has Twelve Lugs in order to accommodate the Twelve (12) Lug Front Sun Gear, (Refer to Figure 6).

(11) The light Duty 2-4 Band is 2.250” wide, (Refer to Figure 7).

The Heavy Duty Band is approximately 2.750” wide, (Refer to Figure 8).

(12) A number of the Internal Bearings have changed from the closed one piece design to the open two piece design.

Edited by RJSquirrel

• 2 weeks later...

I have an '01 Xterra automatic in my '88 Pathfinder and the TX10 bolted right up... the question is: Is mine this 'HD' version? :shrug: Is the case marked as such? If so I'll confirm what it is so you'll know that it does fit. There were a couple of minor changes needed for install. Apparently the vent is different and the wiring harness had to be lengthened to reach. I did not do the install myself as my back was way too messed up at the time. My Nissan Tech friends that talked me into getting one of these transmissions rather than a rebuilt original Pathy transmission said, "They're absolutely bomb-proof, they do not fail like the old ones do!" They knew I was thinking about doing a VG30ET swap that could see 300hp and said this trans would hold up with no problem as long as I added a big cooler and a temp gauge. I must say it's by far the smoothest, quietest, and most solid-shifting auto I've driven in a WD21. My only regret is that I didn't switch it to synthetic before install as we could have gotten nearly all the fluid out of the converter at that time. :doh:

My brother is a Nissan parts guy. I just sent him an email asking if there's a way to positively identify my transmission.

• 11 months later...

That's funny, I just asked him about this particular thread a few weeks ago. This was his reply to me.

There appears to be no way to tell the transmissions apart externally. Nissan uses the same model designation for the original and HD versions. What I do know is that ALL are HD starting with '01 model year. My brother could find nothing to help and neither could my friend Greg that owns an all-Nissan wrecking yard. Further, I checked with an aftermarket transmission rebuild kit place and they said the only way to tell was to take the transmission apart. The thing that really sucks is there's no way to tell transmissions imported from Japan apart. I also don't know when/if they did the HD upgrade for the JDM market? I've got a VG33ER and HD trans here that's going into Silverton's Pathy. When we do that swap I will put his original trans next to the HD one and see if there is a casting difference or something that nobody else has identified.

So there we have it.

Edited by Dowser

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that here Dowser. I thought I'd checked in and updated the info but I guess I didn't! :headwall:

To sum it up: 2001 or newer is what you want in an automagic! :aok: I would not even consider rebuilding a pre-'01 transmission when the newer ones are so much better to start with. If you're going to 'build' a transmission start with the upgraded Heavy Duty version, there is no downside. If I could do my trans swap over again the only thing I'd do different is switch to Amsoil synthetic ATF since I could have drained the converter before installing the transmission.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Could I put some life to this thread and ask if I can put an upgraded Xterra Transmission in my 1987 Pathy, it currently has the weak 3 speed so that would be a perfect upgrade I have the se-v6 3.0

• 1 year later...
I cracked the code!

I spent the last couple of days trying to get as much info as I could in regards with the RE4R01a and finally figured out where the poster in the link got his information. It was an excerpt from a 2005 ATSG seminar regarding Nissan parts interchange:

It didn't feel right for me so I did the legwork and researched it. What also gave me a hint that something was not right was a thread I recalled somewhere where a guy had went to a transmission shop and compared the rebuild kits for an Xterra and the pathfinder. All identical parts in both kits which is rather strange.

The So called "HD" designation is only for the VG33ER Frontiers, Xterras, and the VQ35DE pathfinders. That is only what I can deduce.

Nissan did some fine tuning of the RE401a transmission with the arrrival of the R50 (unibody pathfinder beginning in 96). It wasn't until 99 when Nissan/Jatco settled on the guts of the transmission to be used for the upcoming Xterra and Frontier release. During that time, Nissan/Jatco was still tuning/upgrading the transmission for the arrival for the supercharged variant of the VG33E motor which came out in 2001 in the Frontiers and 2002 for the Xterra and as well as the VQ35DE in the 2001 Pathfinders.

So through the years, Nissan/Jatco played around with the torque converter stall speeds, valve springs lengths and diameters and increased the number of clutch plates to handle the extra power I still want to know if the valve bodies stayed the same or changed. Perhaps someone with FAST can figure it out?

• 1 year later...

i am sorry to post on such an old thread, but this seems like very important information and isn't stickied. Can anyone confirm that all VQ35 and Xterra 4wd trans are the HD variety AND can be used for replacement/upgrade? I'd like to purchase a JDM low mileage auto to install with my vg33 and mid-mount turbo in March. I originally planned to see if the stock output shaft would fit in a q45 trans to convert it to 4wd but I want this done for Spring desert fun so a used HD trans gets it done faster. Help is greatly appreciated

i am sorry to post on such an old thread, but this seems like very important information and isn't stickied. Can anyone confirm that all VQ35 and Xterra 4wd trans are the HD variety AND can be used for replacement/upgrade? I'd like to purchase a JDM low mileage auto to install with my vg33 and mid-mount turbo in March. I originally planned to see if the stock output shaft would fit in a q45 trans to convert it to 4wd but I want this done for Spring desert fun so a used HD trans gets it done faster. Help is greatly appreciated

Supercharged Xterra and Frontier and the RE4R01A behind the vq35de are HD variety. Same gearing and with very miniscule differences. Shaft spline count should be the same. Maybe slight bellhousing differences but swap bellhousing tc and flex plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The gearing in the newer transmissions is not the same as the wd21. Your first gear ratio will be different.

That is correct. I should have clarified that the gearing between the vq35de tranny and the VG33 tranny are the same.

• 6 months later...

94+ VGs switched to a different oil pump and corresponding TC and I recall somewhere that the VQs--not sure which exactly had a larger TC and the input shaft length was different.  Someone may have posted this information here or somewhere in the Facebook page.

• 9 months later...

I purchased a hd re4r01a transmission for a 2003 Pathfinder.  I found out that the bellhousing is different and can be swapped.  If you look at roughly minute 9 of this video, you will see what happened to me when I tried to change bellhousing.  This guy did exactly what i did.  Bellhousing wanted to come off with pump on new transmission and the old one broke free without pulling out pump.  Bellhousing is also RTVed to the pump in addition to the bolts.    You must wedge something to split it off.  The old transmission split off because the sealant had heated up and cooled off thousands of times to become brittle. On the new transmission the adhesive was much more effective and was a bear to separate.  I broke the input speed sensor too.  It was the one sensor that was not on the orignial 1994 transmission.  Now I think I need to tear it apart and see if any pieces fell into the case.  But do I need to replace the sensor.  They are $180 and I think are only needed for OBD2 vehicles to show any variation between the input and output shaft speeds to identify slip.  Thoughts?  Also, Not sure if the new Torque converter will bolt up to my flexplate or if I need one from VG33er xterra???  

The flex plates are different but will bolt up. There was a post somewhere of those differences but I have not been able to find if you saw in the last post. You wont need the sensor you speak of.

I purchased a hd re4r01a transmission for a 2003 Pathfinder.  I found out that the bellhousing is different and can be swapped.  If you look at roughly minute 9 of this video, you will see what happened to me when I tried to change bellhousing.  This guy did exactly what i did.  Bellhousing wanted to come off with pump on new transmission and the old one broke free without pulling out pump.  Bellhousing is also RTVed to the pump in addition to the bolts.    You must wedge something to split it off.  The old transmission split off because the sealant had heated up and cooled off thousands of times to become brittle. On the new transmission the adhesive was much more effective and was a bear to separate.  I broke the input speed sensor too.  It was the one sensor that was not on the orignial 1994 transmission.  Now I think I need to tear it apart and see if any pieces fell into the case.  But do I need to replace the sensor.  They are $180 and I think are only needed for OBD2 vehicles to show any variation between the input and output shaft speeds to identify slip.  Thoughts?  Also, Not sure if the new Torque converter will bolt up to my flexplate or if I need one from VG33er xterra???  

You need a 96+ tc and matching flex plate for it to work.

• Like 1

You need a 96+ tc and matching flex plate for it to work.

Thanks. Are the flex plates all the same from 96+ R51 Pathfinder’s. And WD22 xterra’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot rmember when the design changed. They went from a full sheet to holes stamped into them.
If you can get the supercharged tc thst be great but understandable if you cannot.

• Like 1

I cannot rmember when the design changed. They went from a full sheet to holes stamped into them.
If you can get the supercharged tc thst be great but understandable if you cannot.

Thanks so much Cuong! I ordered a flex plate from EBay from a 2001 Xterra. I see now that the bolt circle is 9.75” up about a half inch from VG30 size. I pulled the pump out yesterday to make sure there was no debris from the sensor breaking. Now I just have to wait for flex plate to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

So, an update.  Do not try to use VQ Pathfinder Transmission on a VG engine.   Blew it up after 8 miles.  Put about 10mm spacer between bellhousing and transmission body.  Stripped out the torque converter flats that mate to the input shaft.  Got a used xterra transmission from a 2003 and it works great.

• Thanks 1

Ouch, that sucks. Good to hear you got it the second time around at least. One of the guys on the FB page just finished his frankentrans (VQ trans mated to a TD27) and seems pretty happy with it so far. IIRC he had a converter custom made for it. Were the flats just not engaged far enough or was there some other issue?