Dual Alternator Mod

magregor

I heard that there is a link somewhere that someone posted about mounting a second alternator where the AC pump used to be...I had to take out the AC, as both lines were cracked anyways...I have the mod instructions for installing a second battery, but I figured instead of taxing the current alternator with all the lights and winch (future plan), I would have a completely separate system for the accessories. Anyone have some ideas on how to mod the brackets and wire in a second alternator?

I have heard many people talk about it, but never have seen it done. It really shouldn't be too hard...

On the other hand, you can install an alternator from a Nissan Quest with out too much trouble and that one is good for 110 amps IIRC. I just bought one for $30 from pick and pull. There is a write up on the Garage/How To section.

B

I'm working on a higher amp alternator right now. I'm too lazy to go through all the extra work to mount a quest alternator. So I walked through the local pick a part looking at different models that had alternators with the mounting bolts directly across from each other like our factory unit. Then I looked online to see what there amp output was. I don't have my list right now but newer model sentra and maxima are 110 amp and look like they would bolt right up. I'm not sure if the pulleys would line up yet I haven't gotten that far but will let y'all know when I get it done. It wouldn't have to be from a nissan, most internally regulated alternators only have three wires to make them work. With the right schematics I should be able to wire it up.

James

Fair enough, but it sounds like you have already done more work/spent more time than modding the Quest unit would take. :tongue:

When the better weather gets here I plan to work it all out on my parts car and see if I can't make it a bit more straight forward swap...

B

Belive me when I say I'm lazy, All the work I've done so far is walk around the scrap yard with a pen and paper and then sit behind my computer and serch a little. The reason I want to go this route is for later when the alternator craps out I just get another one and bolt it up. Once again too lazy to modify another one. :D

James

I was just thinking of having a separate charging system with additional battery to run my 8 lights and winch so I am not taxing my existing system. I have the instructions on where to place a second battery, but I guess I can figure out how to mod the brackets, that isn't really the issue...it is how to wire it into my truck to charge the second battery. Then I will just only wire the accessory lights and winch specifically to that battery/charging system.

Why put on a second alternator? When you can get a single 180 amp alternator.

Mean Green Alternator

That is a PILE of cash when I have a second alternator I own as a trail spare...

wish I had $350 for an alt, hope that thing has a lifetime warranty

I agree man, I believe in working with what'cha have before spending a pile of cash...Not that I would LOVE to have a beefy 180 amp alt. though!

Edited by magregor

well there is a guy in ottawa that can have the altenator respooled for $100 to w/e you want...... and i think the second altenator mod would be great. there is a guy on car domains that has this mod aswell and a guy in ottawa thats close to you that could give you a hand... but i guess you are gonna need to get a wiring harness from a parts truck to start.. and add a switch between the 2??????? one for daily drivin and a switch to use both for when your on the trail

Edited by 4X4pathy94

It seems like a good idea. But I would like to find a way to do it without having to rip my a/c out.

+2 It gets hot down here in south Louisiana! I've seen 104 on the outside temp gage on my titan, and I know thats nothing for states like Arizona but its still hot.

I have the instructions on where to place a second battery, but I guess I can figure out how to mod the brackets, that isn't really the issue...it is how to wire it into my truck to charge the second battery. Then I will just only wire the accessory lights and winch specifically to that battery/charging system.

So where are you planning to mount the second battery?

James

Also remember guys, a single V belt may not be enough to turn a 180 amp alternator at full output. Anyone try switching to a vrib belt system from one of the many other Nissan's with a similar V6?

Edited by JamesRich

+2 It gets hot down here in south Louisiana! I've seen 104 on the outside temp gage on my titan, and I know thats nothing for states like Arizona but its still hot.

James

yeah man, i need my AC.

I like my mean green alt, but I only paid for 1/2 of it, lol. I'd still like to get my spare respooled at some point.

I don't really "need" my a/c but when it gets humid I have trouble breathing...Also why rip out something that works, if it does in fact work on your truck.

Anyway, I was told you could mount it beside the a/c compressor but I don't know how that would work? Could you get a smaller vbelt pulley as well?

Also remember guys, a single V belt may not be enough to turn a 180 amp alternator at full output. Anyone try switching to a vrib belt system from one of the many other Nissan's with a similar V6?

My 180amp ford alty has been running on a V belt under normal tension with no problems as far as slippage. I have been considering getting an early 300zx turbo setup which puts water and alty on a 4 rib s-belt. The steering and a/c would stay the same but this would allow me a smaller pulley for the alty since the 180a I have is a high cut in.

James

I had some help from an Aussie here on NPORA about how to mount second battery where the airbox is and rerouting the airbox, etc. I can dig it up if ya need to see some pics :sly:

My 180amp ford alty has been running on a V belt under normal tension with no problems as far as slippage. I have been considering getting an early 300zx turbo setup which puts water and alty on a 4 rib s-belt. The steering and a/c would stay the same but this would allow me a smaller pulley for the alty since the 180a I have is a high cut in.

You have a 180 amp ford alt on your pathy? I must have missed that one while searching. What is it off of and was it hard to mount up? Good to know it works with one V belt. I figured someone would let me know after posting that.

I had some help from an Aussie here on NPORA about how to mount second battery where the airbox is and rerouting the airbox, etc. I can dig it up if ya need to see some pics :sly:

Sure I'd like to see some pics. I don't have an air box to move on my 87 just some pollution crap. I had done this on my old 90 model Chevy pickup when I was running a big CB amp. I got the driver side battery box for a diesel truck and just moved the charcoal canister to mount it. The inner fender already had dimples where the holes needed to be. Very easy install. Did the diesel pathys have two batteries?

James

Sure I'd like to see some pics. I don't have an air box to move on my 87 just some pollution crap. I had done this on my old 90 model Chevy pickup when I was running a big CB amp. I got the driver side battery box for a diesel truck and just moved the charcoal canister to mount it. The inner fender already had dimples where the holes needed to be. Very easy install. Did the diesel pathys have two batteries?

James

I just found this link, which would be actually better suited than what I found. You can just make your own bracket and follow the instructions they provide in this .pdf file :-)

http://www.aftermartwholesale.com.au/Downloads/Dual%20Battery%20Fitting%20Instructions.pdf

Thank man, I will see what I can do. I will be mounting a big power inverter in the back (hedge trimmers beats swinging a machete any day) and was thinking about putting a optima battery back there with it. If I can find a spot under the hood it will save me some funds by getting a regular battery.

James