New Carpet

beastpath

Has anyone bought new replacement carpet before? Charcoal = gray for our trucks right?

I want to replace my passenger compartment carpet because its falling apart in the front.

Rock Auto has Molded cut pile or vinyl for $160 or they have a Mass back option for $208.

Does the Mass Back actually provide good insulation/sound deadening or am I better off putting dynomat in there?

I'm guessing no one has ever replaced their carpet, lol

In my experience with carpeting, dynomat is the best way to go so later down the road your not dealing with all that crud under your carpet and getting moldy. So, if it were me, Id get the thin stuff and some dynomat. Plus it probably saves a ton of weight!

Ususally once it is torn out, not much goes back in... :D

Do you need to replace all of it? No junk yard or part out units good enough??

B

just the front section where it has worn out under peoples feet. I'll have to look at a few more yards, but the ones I have been to so far dont have the right color.

Exactly, all it does is collect dirt and water and look like ass, lol.

lol, its still more comfortable and better to look at than bare metal.

These guys sell full carpet and vinyl sets for Pathys. Including the cargo area.

http://www.auto-interior.com/nissan6.htm

Yeah thats the stuff that Rockauto sells too. Apparently all aftermarket carpets are made by Auto Custom Carpets.

I have just read a few bad things about them and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them. Lots of mustang guys swear by them, and its the stuff carpet shops put into cars so I'm thinking its probably good.

I replaced mine a few years ago w/ some ebay stuff. It's molded, but nothing like a factory one so you'll have to work it a bit to fit nice. It was $100 or so and held up OK. I have since pulled it out and now have marine carpet in it like you use on boats. I didn't want to pay another $100 or whatever, so for $35 I'll see how that works out.

I replaced mine a few years ago w/ some ebay stuff. It's molded, but nothing like a factory one so you'll have to work it a bit to fit nice. It was $100 or so and held up OK. I have since pulled it out and now have marine carpet in it like you use on boats. I didn't want to pay another $100 or whatever, so for $35 I'll see how that works out.

hey thats a pretty good idea! It can get wet and muddy and not have too many probs cleaning it. :aok:

hey thats a pretty good idea! It can get wet and muddy and not have too many probs cleaning it. :aok:

That was the idea. There's absolutely no backing on the carpet. Its like using a blanket to cover the floor pan. I used some thick rubber mat material to kind of build up and level the floor and act as a sound damper. Once I get the truck out of the garage (it's getting close now!!) I'll let you know if the rubber does the trick. It'll definately be quieter since I took care of the 3' hole under the rear seats.

I'm probably going to get beaten with a stick for this :stickwack: but here it goes...

Rip the entire carpet out and Line-X it! Then just add some rubber mats on the top for looks.

:stickwack:

lol. it is still my DD ya know

When the time comes I am going to put the molded vinyl back into mine. I love it in the farm trucks it cleans up well and still gives you the sound dampening of carpet because it has a back to it. Or at least those do for the chevy trucks.... If it does not come with a back i will dynomat the floors and then lay the vinyl on top of that....

When the time comes I am going to put the molded vinyl back into mine. I love it in the farm trucks it cleans up well and still gives you the sound dampening of carpet because it has a back to it. Or at least those do for the chevy trucks.... If it does not come with a back i will dynomat the floors and then lay the vinyl on top of that....

is dynomat really that good?

is dynomat really that good?

Dynamat is great depending on the product you choose. They make carpet type pad material/ Tar based super stickey that very easy to install and many others. They make a product that does not stick but is very thick and inthe middle has a layer of alluminumn so it can mold to the area and that kills sound great. All these items are pretty expensive so look around for other manufaacturers as well, Hushmatt is great, stinger makes an item called roadkill.

Jmaes

I used Dynamat extreme in the doors in my Pathy, and I've been nothing short of amazed. I bought a bulk pack (~$200 USD) and used about 1/2 of the kit. A full kit would do the doors and the floor pan. I highly recommend this product.

One of the fiew things we actually bought through Stylin Trucks was a fitted carpet for a GMC we redid at work. It was actuall decent priced and fit almost perfecty. Other than that I steer clear of all the altezza taillights and underbite bull bars in there...

"Cheap" dynomat alternative; look in your local hardware store in the roofing/insulation area, they have a foil backed self stick rubber product that is on a roll and about 6" wide.

lol, I guess I should have been more specific.

are those sound dampeners any good at all? I'd like to cut some road noise, and I have read to really do that I need to use a vinyl layer over dampening material.

or does the dampening do a good enough job?