Going To Uti In Sacramento!

4xKory

So I just finished filling out all my forms and have been accepted to UTI in Sacramento, CA. =) I will be moving down there at the end of March and starting school on May 10th. Just wanted to say you all have been a part of me wanting to go to auto mechanics school and have been a big support in the short time I have been on NPORA.

Part of the reason I am writing this is because I was hoping to get together with as many of the Washington guys as possible for a trail run, or at least a meet and greet/eat somewhere to have a beer or something of the likes before I head off for the next couple years (or even longer!). I think it would just be a great honor to meet all of you that have helped me out so much in the last months here. It would mean a lot to me to get to do this in my home state before I leave!

The other reason I am writing this is because I know a good lot of you live in Cali too and I just wanted to give an official hello and let you know another member will be in your area to lend a hand at any time possible.

Thanks so much for reading and the support wish me luck! :beer:

Good luck and study hard. I am a graduate of UTI in Houston TX class of 88. I'm not sure about now but when I graduated the school had a very good name. Most employers were impressed that I had been there. So it's helps to have a good name backing you when you are looking for a job. I hope you enjoy the school, I did.

James

Congrats Kory!! Just think, some day I might let you work on my truck!!! :D

Sacramento is about 100 miles from me and only 40 miles from the Sierras, as much mountain range as most people could want. Bound to be good wheeling up there, but I didn't own a 4x4 when I went to SSU. Only thing you'll have to get used to is the summer heat...

I'm sure we'll meet once you get down here, I'm looking forward to it!

B

Congrats! Im a former UTI graduate myself(aug '96). I went to the Phoenix campus and I had a blast. I went in barley knowing anything about cars. Now, Im a Infiniti/Nissan master tech. Now, when they tell you you dont need to study much, dont listen. Study hard and take it seriously. Its hard to not get caught up with people partying and stuff, but this is your future. Its not high school anymore.

As for meeting up, some were talking about that in the NW section, but, I think interest died. But, hey, who knows. Good Luck!!

Derek

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Good luck and study hard. I am a graduate of UTI in Houston TX class of 88. I'm not sure about now but when I graduated the school had a very good name. Most employers were impressed that I had been there. So it's helps to have a good name backing you when you are looking for a job. I hope you enjoy the school, I did.

James

Thanks James!

As of now UTI is still currently one of the only schools in the nation to be ASE certified and they still have a great name with a lot of businesses. So I am really thankful to be accepted and on my way to success!

Congrats Kory!! Just think, some day I might let you work on my truck!!! :D

Sacramento is about 100 miles from me and only 40 miles from the Sierras, as much mountain range as most people could want. Bound to be good wheeling up there, but I didn't own a 4x4 when I went to SSU. Only thing you'll have to get used to is the summer heat...

I'm sure we'll meet once you get down here, I'm looking forward to it!

B

Hahaha B you crack me up! Anytime you want some work done you let me know. Get me the gas money to get there and Ill work for free. I just love turning wrenches that much!

Im actually really looking forward to some good weather! I used to live down there when I was 18 7 years ago and really enjoyed all the sun. I never thought about driving to the sierras that sounds like a blast! There has got to be a ton of great wheelin down there.

It would be a pleasure and an honor B, cant wait to meet you!

Congrats! Im a former UTI graduate myself(aug '96). I went to the Phoenix campus and I had a blast. I went in barley knowing anything about cars. Now, Im a Infiniti/Nissan master tech. Now, when they tell you you dont need to study much, dont listen. Study hard and take it seriously. Its hard to not get caught up with people partying and stuff, but this is your future. Its not high school anymore.

As for meeting up, some were talking about that in the NW section, but, I think interest died. But, hey, who knows. Good Luck!!

Derek

Hey I sent you a message on youtube the other day!

I elected to take the nissan NATT course too I just love caressing a nissan motor! :whistle:

I hear you on the partying. Its going to be just me and my gf Rachel going down there and getting our own place close to school. And were pretty lame so we dont party really. This is the most important thing in my life right now next to Rachel. She means the world to me and is always number 1. But UTI is like 1.0000000000009 on importance level too haha. I am going to try my hardest to get the nissan scholarship for sure. Man I am so excited! :D

Your a big inspiration to me Derek and I appreciate your input.

Ill try to see what I can rally up for a trail run. Hope I can get something going!

Thanks again man. Maybe one of these years down the road we can turn some wrenches together :shrug:

Derek

We used to hate the Phoenix campus! Lol! Y'all had all the good stuff that we were told about when we signed up like the dragster and the 1/4 mile diesel car. When I went there were only the Phoenix and Houston campus, and Phoenix was the main campus. So y'all had all the cool toys over there! We just got to work on each others cars and none of the students owned a dragster.

James

We didnt see the dragster too often. In 95-96, it was on tour to some of the other campuses. We did have several NHRA teams stop buy during the Southwest Nationals(?) at Firebird Raceway. It did seem like there was always someone differnt stoping in and showing off.

I would like to go see the new campus, now that its not in Phoenix anymore. Its supposed to be pretty nice.

Hey I sent you a message on youtube the other day!

I elected to take the nissan NATT course too I just love caressing a nissan motor! :whistle:

I hear you on the partying. Its going to be just me and my gf Rachel going down there and getting our own place close to school. And were pretty lame so we dont party really. This is the most important thing in my life right now next to Rachel. She means the world to me and is always number 1. But UTI is like 1.0000000000009 on importance level too haha. I am going to try my hardest to get the nissan scholarship for sure. Man I am so excited! :D

Your a big inspiration to me Derek and I appreciate your input.

Ill try to see what I can rally up for a trail run. Hope I can get something going!

Thanks again man. Maybe one of these years down the road we can turn some wrenches together :shrug:

Hey, if you feel up to driving down from Everett, I could show you around the Infiniti dealer and show you what you are in for!

Hey, if you feel up to driving down from Everett, I could show you around the Infiniti dealer and show you what you are in for!

Dude, that sounds awesome! Once I get some info on my schedule for the next little while I'll let you know. What is your time frame/schedule looking like? It would be great to get some insight into the field first hand. Ive been around shops quite a bit but nothing as professional as that.

Also (I will have to send you a PM with the info when I get it) I was wondering if I could use you for a reference to get a scholarship. Being that you went to UTI and are now a pro in your fields of study I think that would be one of the best references I could get!

Again, thank you so much!

Congrats dude!

I'm about 150 miles south of Sacramento. I have a couple of friends who live up there

I'v always wanted to go wheeling up near Mt Lassen (about two hours north of Sac), but until I get enough money to fix the pathy that's not happening anytime soon

We didnt see the dragster too often. In 95-96, it was on tour to some of the other campuses. We did have several NHRA teams stop buy during the Southwest Nationals(?) at Firebird Raceway. It did seem like there was always someone differnt stoping in and showing off.

I would like to go see the new campus, now that its not in Phoenix anymore. Its supposed to be pretty nice.

If you didnt see the dragster often you still saw it more than me! I never got to see any toys or meet any race team, but I still enjoyed the school. If the rule still stands we can go back and retake individual classes or the whole course once for free. Maybe when I retire I can go catch up on the new stuff.

James

If you didnt see the dragster often you still saw it more than me! I never got to see any toys or meet any race team, but I still enjoyed the school. If the rule still stands we can go back and retake individual classes or the whole course once for free. Maybe when I retire I can go catch up on the new stuff.

James

Yeah they totally will still let you do that! Its probably one of the coolest things about the school and shows they care about their students a lot. Maybe this time 'round youll get a peak at the dragster =)

Congrats dude!

I'm about 150 miles south of Sacramento. I have a couple of friends who live up there

I'v always wanted to go wheeling up near Mt Lassen (about two hours north of Sac), but until I get enough money to fix the pathy that's not happening anytime soon

Oh sweet! ...and not so sweet. haha- If there is anything I can help with let me know! Id be glad to help- heck maybe while Im at school theyll let me take your rig in to fix on it.

What kind of troubles are you having with it?

The tranny is gone, IIRC.

Oh really? hmm... well- I wonder if we could just tear it out and do a rebuild on our own. If at all possible given its not totally blown to bits. That would save a lot of money. :shrug::scratchhead:

...Get me the gas money to get there and Ill work for free. I just love turning wrenches that much!

for now, this is fine. once you graduate, you are no longer a guy wrenching, you are a mechanic. Mechanics get paid, always remember that. always expect compensation (pizza and beer are acceptable forms of compensation, just don't be "free").

Kudos on the choice. I think these schools are great. don't be one of the d-bags that quits, half way through. the rewards are totally worth sticking it out, regardless of what's going on.

for now, this is fine. once you graduate, you are no longer a guy wrenching, you are a mechanic. Mechanics get paid, always remember that. always expect compensation (pizza and beer are acceptable forms of compensation, just don't be "free").

Kudos on the choice. I think these schools are great. don't be one of the d-bags that quits, half way through. the rewards are totally worth sticking it out, regardless of what's going on.

Well just for the record, I dont help out just anyone- and have respect for mechanics and paychecks alike. But you guys are my second family and I am the meaning of dedication. Only NPORA members get me to work for "free" (I did say I require gas money), and on our pathy's at that. You have a dodge mini-van? Well thats another story. lol...

Also I dont mix beer and cars, thats dangerous.I like to keep it professional. Pizza is good though!

Ive been through a lot of really rough times in my life, money being a big root to it. So to have someone say they will come over and give you a hand working on stuff I think would be a great blessing to the many unfortunate who are just as deserving as the next guy. All in all, the more buds I get to wheel with the better, and if thats what it takes, I have no problem helping out! To see the smile on peoples faces when they learn a little and get there truck going would be worth it to me over any money in the world. Hands down.

Im not really the sort of guy to move hundreds of miles to mess around. I mean serious business. Im not there to party, to slack off, or worse- quit altogether. Im there to start my career in auto mechanics and it truly is my passion. I mean, even installing my stereo at 2am with my gf holding a flashlight and shes saying "im really tired can we give it a rest?" and im elbow deep under the dash "almost done!! just a few more minutes!!" To me this is the calling Ive been waiting for and Im not letting any chance to get ahead slip by me. Im very fortunate to be accepted. Only 15 students per recruiter (@100/month) get accepted and I was his top choice, just by one conversation over the phone. Thats gotta say something? :shrug:

well, if you are in oklahoma city, for some god forsaken reason, this summer, I might be able to use some help with mine (pizza, place to crash, or something for "compensation" lol)

I can totally understand the dedication of a passion. Computers are mine, but I can wrench; not the best in the world, but I do what I can. If I ever won the lottery, I would try for something like UTi, just to learn more about my second biggest (and more expensive) hobby.

2AM installing a radio? Just_Cuz_12.gif

Oh sweet! ...and not so sweet. haha- If there is anything I can help with let me know! Id be glad to help- heck maybe while Im at school theyll let me take your rig in to fix on it.

What kind of troubles are you having with it?

As Adam said the transmission is on it's last legs. Currently it has Reverse, First, and Third. Second and OD are gone.

Another board member offered me his transmission from his parts car, but he got called to active military duty late last year. Once he gets back I will have a replacement transmission.

Otherwise it runs fine. I have two CV joints I need to install, but they need new boots before I put them on the truck (from UNCCPathfinder's parts pig, the boots on them look like they'd rip the first time I put it into 4hi). Haven't put them on as I haven't seen the point with it having a dead transmission.

well, if you are in oklahoma city, for some god forsaken reason, this summer, I might be able to use some help with mine (pizza, place to crash, or something for "compensation" lol)

I can totally understand the dedication of a passion. Computers are mine, but I can wrench; not the best in the world, but I do what I can. If I ever won the lottery, I would try for something like UTi, just to learn more about my second biggest (and more expensive) hobby.

2AM installing a radio? Just_Cuz_12.gif

Hey, I am always down for a good road trip! I mean thats what the pathy was made for- you get a mobile hotel that can drive over stuff!

Call me crazy but I was excited when I bought my stereo late that night lol :crossedwires:

I have to ask, why cant you go to UTI? If your really serious about it, there are ways to pay for it. Financial Aid, Grants, Loans, Scholarships... Im broke as all hell and dedicated myself to finding a way. You could too! :D

As Adam said the transmission is on it's last legs. Currently it has Reverse, First, and Third. Second and OD are gone.

Another board member offered me his transmission from his parts car, but he got called to active military duty late last year. Once he gets back I will have a replacement transmission.

Otherwise it runs fine. I have two CV joints I need to install, but they need new boots before I put them on the truck (from UNCCPathfinder's parts pig, the boots on them look like they'd rip the first time I put it into 4hi). Haven't put them on as I haven't seen the point with it having a dead transmission.

Well its good to hear for the most part the rest of it is in good working order.

I want to ask you to save your old tranny for me when you get the new one. I'll help put it in if you need a hand too. Id like to tear apart your old one, and possibly rebuild it. Just for the knowledge alone. We can then work out something if you wanna keep it for a spare for later. I run a 5spd so I have no use for it- But I do intend to know up to the 95's like the back of my hand by the time Im old and wrinkly. =)

Ive been through a lot of really rough times in my life, money being a big root to it. So to have someone say they will come over and give you a hand working on stuff I think would be a great blessing to the many unfortunate who are just as deserving as the next guy

That is a commendable attitude and one I try to follow after being so jaded. :beer:

Well its good to hear for the most part the rest of it is in good working order.

I want to ask you to save your old tranny for me when you get the new one. I'll help put it in if you need a hand too. Id like to tear apart your old one, and possibly rebuild it. Just for the knowledge alone. We can then work out something if you wanna keep it for a spare for later. I run a 5spd so I have no use for it- But I do intend to know up to the 95's like the back of my hand by the time Im old and wrinkly. =)

I've offered a deal on my 5 speed with help with the swap, but he is dead set on keeping the slush box and not having a drivable truck... :shrug:

B