4Wd Thud

ronin152

I have a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder with a 2in lift and 32in tires. The front is IFS. With the lift the front CV angles are extreme but still within factory limits. Anyways with all the snow I was driving around in 4wd Hi and noticed that when I seemed to go over 20 mph or like 2,500 RPM there seemed to be a thud coming from the front right cv shaft / wheel. As the speed or RPM increased the thud kept increasing in intensity.

Could this have been?

1. Snow packed in the wheel/brakes/cv shaft?

2. When taking my truck in for inspection the mechanic did not tighten all the bolts properly on the wheel and a couple days later I discovered this. Ever since then I have had a squeak in my brakes. Don't know if that could have possibly bent something?

3. CV's were just recently replaced due to cracking of the boots. Improper install?

4. CV is operating outside of its range of motion and binding up due to too much lift?

However, the thing which I don't understand is that my truck has Full Time 4wd and the hubs are always locked in so they turn even when in 2wd and I do not hear the thud if they were binding in 2wd.

What do you guys think the problem is?

• 2 weeks later...

Well my rig is not lifted so my experince may not be helpful...

When I have seen CVs fail they tend to make more of a clicking noise. Troubleshooting noises over the net can be hard, one persons click is another's thud.

Did the thud noise happen all the time in 4Hi? Only when turning? Any worse if turning (one way or the other)?

I am doubtful the loose wheel or snow in teh CVs is the problem, but anything is possible. Could it be a snow/ice build up in the front fender wells hitting the tire? I'd think it would do that in 2Hi as well tho.

Something could be bent. Or, when was the last time you had your diff fluid in front changed? Even though the front drivetrain is always spinning, it has no torque being applied to it, so that's more than likely why you only hear it in 4WD. I would take a close look at it.