Motor Swap?'s

rickjames

Ok I just signed up here and would like to know if anyone here has ever done a GM V8 small block transplant into a 88 or like year pathy. I just bought mine and have been gettin my a@@ kicked when wheelin with my buddies. So if anyone has done this what problems did you run into. What kind of fab work am I lookin at. And where there any aftermaket adapters that were used, if so where would it be found?

It has been done and adapters were made at some point, but I would not call it easy and good luck on finding one. While power is a complaint there are quite a few SAS'd (or not) rigs running 35"+ tires with the stock power plant. How are they kicking your a$$?? If you are racing, you picked the wrong truck...

B

i don't think you would want an SR20DET motor as they have less torque at lower RPM's than a VG30. The VG30 has a very level torque curve which is a plus for towing and wheeling. I've seen Australians swap the VG30 for a 3800 V6 from holden commodores. I think it's the same v6 you find in a lot of 90's Buicks. I see you have an 88 SE which should come with the VG30I. You can get a set of headers and do a full 2.25" exhaust with a high flow cat. You should feel the difference, but yeah Precise1 is right. These trucks are not know for their speed and power :handlebars: I would change my gears to 5.13's before I spent the time and money doing an engine swap. IMO the VG30 is the most reliable part of the truck

i don't think you would want an SR20DET motor as they have less torque at lower RPM's than a VG30. The VG30 has a very level torque curve which is a plus for towing and wheeling. I've seen Australians swap the VG30 for a 3800 V6 from holden commodores. I think it's the same v6 you find in a lot of 90's Buicks. I see you have an 88 SE which should come with the VG30I. You can get a set of headers and do a full 2.25" exhaust with a high flow cat. You should feel the difference, but yeah Precise1 is right. These trucks are not know for their speed and power :handlebars: I would change my gears to 5.13's before I spent the time and money doing an engine swap. IMO the VG30 is the most reliable part of the truck

the 3800 FWD motors wouldn't work without alot of work. Luckily GM made the near bulletproof 3800 Series II available in the Camaro/Firebird. And they are pretty cheap to get with base power at 200hp you can't really complain. Not to mention there is a decent aftermarket if you want to build the internals. Most 3800 FWD internals work. I've also seen the Cartuning Turbo kit adapted to the RWD 3800.