Bolt Size

PATHRIDER

Im in the process of replacing the exhaust manifold gasket on my vg30 and can somebody please tell me what size bolt the collector pipe takes? I think its called the collector pipe..Its the part where the manifold connects to the pipe with flange and 3 bolts

Thanks fellas

1265047487093569200.jpg

That is the hex head diameter, not the thread diameter and pitch.

Sorry, I'm not running stock exhaust... :shrug:

B

I have not taken it off yet but according to my local exhaust shop its 10MM..Hey B just came from fasteners today and they have a 8X30X1.25 in 8,8 zinc plated but I opted for the 10.9..I think I used 8.8 on my opther pathy when I installed my thorleys thats why on the other thread I mentioned a 8 grade

Ok, I'm guessing M10x1.5 then, but it's just a guess.

LOL, I guessed where the fastener grade 8 came from, most people do that. 8.8 gets called grade 8 but I believe it is much closer to grade 5. I have a chart around here somewhere that i should post...

IIRC Grade 10.9 is slightly less than grade 8 and then there is a grade 12.9 (?) that I have only run into a few times??

Damn, I'm going to have to find that list.

B

Your working with two different systems.

Grade 5 and Grade 8 are US standards

8.8, 10.9, and 12.9 are ISO/metric standard bolts.

I think that B has it right about comparison that the metric 8.8 is about equal US grade 5.

• 5 years later...

Am I reading this post correctly? I've seen some guy use Grade 8 bolts on his headers instead of the header bolts that I've used when putting my Pacesetter's on. I used 300Z bolts. I heard & was told they were stronger. I'm getting ready to put new headers on. Thinking about using Grade 8 bolts this time around. Wise choice? I think it would be easier & less chance to bust if I ever need to take them out.....Can I get some feedback on this please? Thanks!