Gas Milage And Fuel Guage Question

ticker

98 4x4 manual trans, 122,000 miles.

My fuel consumption has been horrendous lately. It was never great but I went from getting 250-300 miles between fill ups to getting less than 200. I had a cel for the knock sensor but it went off by itself. I was hoping it may have been a loose connection, but I know that at some point It will need to be replaced. Other than that the pathy seems to run fine. It's winter time and pretty cold out some days but I've never seen mpgs get so bad. for exmple I drove to Cincinnati today, 1.5 hours 180 miles ish there and back and used a full tank of gas! Seems a bit extreme. Ideas of things to check?

Also when I fill up the gauge has recently been stopping at just above the 3/4 mark. Ideas on what would cause this and/or possible fixes?

Is it possible that I have that 1/4 tank to spare and don't know it? Not really interested in running out of gas trying to find out.

Thanks

Wow not sure why there are three threads started on this.

I don't have a for sure answer but I know the cold makes alot of difference to the mileaage.

Plugs and wires that are older can cause issues.

Maybe older fuel filter that.

I would start by replacing those 3 things and it is also good maintaince as well.

sorry not a big help.

James

Winter equals more work load! The cold air is always cooling down the motor alot so the metal is contracting/expanding alot (very little) but enough to make your engine have some blow-by more than normal making you use more fuel. Make sense? And as for the gas gauge, mine does that too. Sometimes it'll be stuck on below E, even after I fill it. It just gets stuck when it's cold.

Ok so makes sense. I filled up today and got the guage to almost reach the full line. I added some fuel additive today on the odd chance it would actually do anything.

Perhaps it is the appearance of poor mileage rather than actual,ie. sticking gauge, since I drove about 20 miles today with the gauge on/below E and never got the fuel light.

I changed the plugs a couple months ago, soo I guess i could do the wires too at some point. Will check Fuel Filter.

Thanks for the reply's

as to the multiple posts, It was taking forever to load after I hit POST and I may have hit it a few times, :hide:

don't forget about the air filter. it might look pretty good but still be effecting your gas mileage.

as for gas remaining in your tank, the tank is 21 gal so compare that to what you are putting in (assuming it was full to begin with)

my mileage is much worse in the winter too..

don't forget about the air filter. it might look pretty good but still be effecting your gas mileage.

as for gas remaining in your tank, the tank is 21 gal so compare that to what you are putting in (assuming it was full to begin with)

my mileage is much worse in the winter too..

are you sure its 21 gal? i've never been able to put more than 19 in, and thats even with literally pushing it to the pump cause i ran dry.

are you sure its 21 gal? i've never been able to put more than 19 in, and thats even with literally pushing it to the pump cause i ran dry.

I think I put 19-20 gal in one time when i ran out, but I stopped as soon as the filler clicked and didn't try to "top up" the rest so I think u might be able to get the full 21 gal in there...

Edited by HitTheTrails

In none of these posts have I seen anyone state a calculated MPG. That is where it starts...

OOk, 1999.0 Pathy SE stock with 152k miles has averaged 18MPG being driven around town and 60 miles a day freeway commute that is not smooth flowing. I plan to install auto or manual hhubs and look into an air intake in hopes of getting up to 20MPG.

Oil grade matters, check the cap and rotor, clean the MAF filaments, and have the OBD2 codes checked. You could also have an O2 sensor on the way out.

B