Question about 2002 Xterra

Nerfball6

Hi all,

This Friday I'm going to look at a 2002 Xterra SE. Pretty much loaded including tow package and brush Guard. Great shape from what I can tell in the photos. He is asking around $8,000 with 91,000 miles.

Is there anything I should look for with this vehicle in particular that might be a problem area. Any parts that are prone to going bad or rusting, etc?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If it's been lifted or wheeled, the centerlink may be worn. I know a few people who have had issues with leaky steering boxes (not a cheap fix).

The only common rust I know of is on the back hatch.

If you have access to a OBDII scanner, take it with you. An unscrupulous seller could clear the codes to turn of the CEL and then it comes back a little while after you've bought it. But that is with any car, not just an X.

If you have access to a OBDII scanner, take it with you. An unscrupulous seller could clear the codes to turn of the CEL and then it comes back a little while after you've bought it. But that is with any car, not just an X.

That's a great idea but I don't have access to one. Maybe I'll go buy one. Thanks!

That's kind of a bummer. Though I suppose if it get's better mileage that way it's a wash as far as the difference in fuel price goes.

It almost is making me reconsider if I want it because of that though.

It's a yellow 2002 SE Supercharged with 91,000 miles - with tow package and brush guard. 6-Disc Rockford Fosgate Stereo with steering wheel controls, Python Alarm with Remote Start, Brush Guard, Tow Package, Newer BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A tires. In excellent condition.

For $8,200

Does that sound like a good deal?

Edited by Nerfball6

I'd have to drive/inspect it, but it doesn't seem like a bad price considering everything else is in order...

B

That's good to know. I'll be driving it and inspecting it this evening. So ultimately it will hinge on that.

What does KBB, Edmonds and the other site say is the going price?

B

KBB shows

Excellent: $9,195

Good: $8,595

Fair: $7,845

So if it's truly in excellent shape, I'll be getting it at the "good" price. So it seemed pretty good to me.

Edit: Edmunds has ... Outstanding: $8,819 , Clean: $7,905

Edited by Nerfball6

2002 Xterra Recalls:

Rear ABS Sensors

Driver Side Air Bag Harness Clips

Supercharger ECM Reprogram

PLEASE note that not all vehicles will be affected on the above. Call the VIN into your local dealer to see if they have been done.

Service Campaigns:

Windor Regulators

Fuel Gauge Sender Unit.

Again, not all vehicles were applicable. The campaigns most likely have lapsed.

I have also seen the High Side AC hose from time to time need the original hose replaced after about 5 year as well. (seal starts leaking)

Also please note, the Supercharger on that bad boy is VERY Expensive. (list is $2149) It is an all or nothing part.

In addition, many people around here have complained about how aftermarket parts stores only have belts for Non-supercharged Xterra.

That's kind of a bummer. Though I suppose if it get's better mileage that way it's a wash as far as the difference in fuel price goes.

It almost is making me reconsider if I want it because of that though.

It's a yellow 2002 SE Supercharged with 91,000 miles - with tow package and brush guard. 6-Disc Rockford Fosgate Stereo with steering wheel controls, Python Alarm with Remote Start, Brush Guard, Tow Package, Newer BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A tires. In excellent condition.

For $8,200

Does that sound like a good deal?

Sounds like a steal for a super charged truck to me,it will only get better milage if you feather the gas,other wise its going to be sucking and blowing...

Its still the 3.3 right,if so its 245 hp with the turbo,and it'll run good for a long time because its a nissan...

Well, I ended up buying it. And I appreciate everyone's help!!!

Though I'm thrilled overall, a weird thing started happening this morning that kind of tarnishes the purchase ...

When I test drove it, everything was great. I did figure 8's forward and reverse, drove it in all 4WD and transmission ranges, etc. I drove it home no problems. However this AM while backed out of my driveway, with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left, a grinding clunking sound came from (I believe) the pass side front . It was pretty loud. It only does it while backing and with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? And is it just dumb luck that it happened right after I bought it? That seems hard to believe so I wonder if I just didn't turn the wheel all the way during my test drive and the seller was hoping I wouldn't. Not that that matters now I guess.

Congrats!! I don't really know the X front end, but I wouldn't be alarmed yet. First thing would be to put the wheel in that position, reverse and when it makes that noise, stop the car, get out and look for anything apparent. You said it drives fine so I doubt what ever it is is a show stopper. When I first had my M/T tires they would only rub in reverse at full lock, scared the crap out of me first time I heard that horrible noise!!

B

Thanks guys!

Well, I found the problem and it was absolutely nothing. I had done some research and (like adamzan thought) believed it would be the steering stops. But it wasn't. All it turned out to be was that a section of plastic cowling underneath the front bumper and in front of the tire had a slightly out of place support rod, so the lip was hitting the tire slightly when it was turned all the way. It sounded pretty nasty but was nothing. I moved it back in place and because the tires are a bit oversized, trimmed off some of the plastic lip (which can't be seen) on each side to give them some more clearance, and all is good.

I'm a happy camper! :)