Tune Up

ChrisPerna

So im deciding to do a tune up to my pathfinder. so far i have a fuel filter, k&n air filter, bosch o2 sensor. 6 ngk-ix-iridium spark plugs. what else should i buy. money is not an issue cause i got a $250 gift card for autozone.

id go for a frams tough guard oil filter and some moble 1 oil i wouldnt do a k&n air filter unless its a dry drop in cuz the oiled k&n filters could mess up ur o2 sensor. the plugs r a nice choice try some spark plug wires if u want to better use thoses plugs. :ar15:

Cap, rotor, and wires. I'd buy about 3 feet of vacuum hose, you may find as you go through your engine that a few lines are cracked or fit loosely on the fittings.

Wix is by far the best oil filter you can buy, best filtration and durability. Fram's filters are known to come apart due to the paper type filter used.

YounWheels, I think you mean to say the K&N filter can mess with the MAF sensor in the intake, not the O2 sensor wich is in the exhaust system. Again, Wix filters (NAPA Gold) seem to have the best balance of filtration and flow.

I'm running NGK Iridiums and I noticed that my gas mileage dropped immediately after installing them. Before the change the engine had Denso plugs in it, and I could do 130 to a quarter of a tank all highway. Now I can barely break 110.

Feel free to send whatever you don't spend at Autozone to me. :aok:

Edited by Kingman

ok so any advive on plugs? also i ordered some bosch wires and a cap and rotor. i gave been putting shell v-power in it since i got it and im lucky to get 225 miles to a full tank. so i think its time for this tune-up. also can cracked manifolds kill my mpg's too?

It caaaaaaaaaaaaaaan but its hard to say depending on the severity. it could through a faulty reading for the o2 sensor. worst case scenario but it's neglible i think. Maybe switching to manual hubs if you haven't replaced your auto locking hubs if your 4x4.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

There's no point in running anything over 89 octane through these engines, the compression ratio is so low it simply doesn't do any good.

I'll stick by NGK V-Power plugs. Cheap, last a long time, and deliver good spark. I've never gone wrong with them, in fact I intend to switch back to them pretty soon. :aok:

Also check your EGR valve for functionality. If it's clogged or worn out it'll cause rough running and terrible fuel mileage. That new O2 sensor should bump up your mileage a little.

Another thing, remove the MAF sensor and clean the 2 wires with brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Over time it gets dirty and gives the ECU poor readings.

i wouldnt use bosch anything on a japanese car... as for a cap and rotor use only factory parts, tune ups can make cars misfire with brand new aftermarket parts as for plugs only use NGK get platinum so you dont have to replace them for a long time

Cap, rotor, and wires. I'd buy about 3 feet of vacuum hose, you may find as you go through your engine that a few lines are cracked or fit loosely on the fittings.

Wix is by far the best oil filter you can buy, best filtration and durability. Fram's filters are known to come apart due to the paper type filter used.

YounWheels, I think you mean to say the K&N filter can mess with the MAF sensor in the intake, not the O2 sensor wich is in the exhaust system. Again, Wix filters (NAPA Gold) seem to have the best balance of filtration and flow.

I'm running NGK Iridiums and I noticed that my gas mileage dropped immediately after installing them. Before the change the engine had Denso plugs in it, and I could do 130 to a quarter of a tank all highway. Now I can barely break 110.

Feel free to send whatever you don't spend at Autozone to me. :aok:

yeah i meant the MAF i typed it then went to bed came back n realized it and just laughed at myself thanks for pickin up my lack kingman :laugh: o good luck chrisperna on ur tune up

Edited by YoungWheelsCT

i wouldnt use bosch anything on a japanese car... as for a cap and rotor use only factory parts, tune ups can make cars misfire with brand new aftermarket parts as for plugs only use NGK get platinum so you dont have to replace them for a long time

You do know that the entire Nissan Hardbody/Pathfinder electrical system is designed and made by Bosch, right? This includes the fuel injectors, pumps, harnesses, relays, switches, wiring, etc.

I put a NAPA premium cap and rotor in my truck and it runs great. :aok:

Edited by Kingman

Further more Bosch is a japanse brand. I just installed a bosch capa and rotor and it is allot nicer than the neighoff set I had before. The plastic moldings were allot nicer the terminals were more solid and the sockets for the wires were machined and srewed in instead of stamped and pressed in.

the Bosch Has BOSCH laser cut into the top of the cap and says made in japan on the inside. the Neighoff just says made in usa and looks cheap compared to the bosch.

that and some NGK V-Powers.... Runs great now!

Another thing, remove the MAF sensor and clean the 2 wires with brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Over time it gets dirty and gives the ECU poor readings.

:yeahthat: Mine ran alot smoother after i did that..just be careful the wires are thin

Also there's a right up on cleaning the trottle body and butterfly valve you could do that too..It'll help prevent a sticky gas pedal

bosch invented fuel injection so it might own the patent but it is more of a european OEM brand. its not like you can find any factory nissan parts that actually have a bosch brand stamped on it. bosch does make stuff all around the world because it makes all sorts of electronics like appliances and power equipment.

a bit of info from the 2nd/3rd gen maxima guys (also a vg30e). Bosch spark plugs are crap for jap cars. NGK only (after that is all preference and mods) Bosch plug wires/cap/rotor are fine. I have put about 30,000 on my bosch wires (on my maxima), and I think the cap/rotor are too.

(sorry if I seem to talk about the Max too much, it seems I have mentioned it in half my posts so far. if I ever get the dang pathfinder runnin'(:rant2:), I'll be more than glad to talk about it, too.)

a bit of info from the 2nd/3rd gen maxima guys (also a vg30e). Bosch spark plugs are crap for jap cars. NGK only (after that is all preference and mods) Bosch plug wires/cap/rotor are fine. I have put about 30,000 on my bosch wires (on my maxima), and I think the cap/rotor are too.

(sorry if I seem to talk about the Max too much, it seems I have mentioned it in half my posts so far. if I ever get the dang pathfinder runnin'(rant2.gif), I'll be more than glad to talk about it, too.)

hey its all good the sohc is pretty much the same engine and the dohc is pretty close in allot of aspects too.

• 4 weeks later...

VG30i

I set my TBI to 15 deg The tbi always reaches a full advance of 30 degrees from where you set it. IF you set it too far from 12(spec) it will throw a Crank angle code.

VG30e

the spec for the MPFI is 15 deg. the mpfi compensates electrically so no matter where you try to set it the ecu will try resume the same advance curve it was programed with. and It may or may not throw other codes if you stray too far from 15

Edited by MY1PATH

VG30i

I set my TBI to 15 deg The tbi always reaches a full advance of 30 degrees from where you set it. IF you set it too far from 12(spec) it will throw a Crank angle code.

VG30e

the spec for the MPFI is 15 deg. the mpfi compensates electrically so no matter where you try to set it the ecu will try resume the same advance curve it was programed with. and It may or may not throw other codes if you stray too far from 15

Thanks bud. Ill set it at 15..plug is gaped at .032..Do I have to do anything with the ecu to program the timing or will it automatically detect it?

Edited by PATHRIDER