Just Talked My Buddy Into Buying A 1995 Pathfinder!

FUELER

1995 Pathfinder SE-V6 4WD, leather heated seats, 152k miles, OEM foglights, spare tire carrier, power everything, 31" yokohama geolander AT. It even has a little switch for "suspension - sport or comfort" LOL

$2500 do you think good deal?

The engine temp gauge doesnt work. Where should i check first? The wiring behind the gauge cluster or the wiring in the engine bay?

Or should we simply install an aftermarket gauge?

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Edited by FUELER

Temp gauge could be the sensor under the hood, there are 2 one for the ecu and one for the gauge. Also could be in the cluster itself.

More than likely some of the manifold studs are broken...You can leave it the way it is now but it could get worse in the future.

I had the same experience over 10 years ago when I bought my Pathy. 4runners way too pricey for what they are, not too mention most of the ones at that time had the sagging rear end issue.

I don't know much about problem #1, but personally I'd start at the wiring at the sender under the hood. On problem #2, there is a 99.9% chance that it is 1 or more broken exhaust manifold studs. It's not going to fall apart, but may get worse over time. I ran mine with broken studs (1 passenger side / 2 drive side) for about 4 years, at the end it was getting so you could hear it even when it was warm.

Repair thread here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16196

The ones that break are completely broken; as in you can go in with a pair of pliers and pull them out. The remaining studs will hold the manifold in place and probably will last a long time, but eventually another one may break at which time it will probably get louder.

Like I said before I ran 4 years plus with broken studs. Mine started out the same way as your friends; in that you would hear when it was cold but once it warmed up it would quite down. However, about a year before I put the headers on it go so you could hear the exhaust ticky/leaky sound all the time. I suspect an additional stud broke, or could be just one of the manifolds warped.

The short story IMHO is that he can run a long time with his current condition without it being a serious issue. If you want to be sure of the situation, pull off the heat shields, and try pulling gently on the studs with some pliers. I say to pull on them, because sometimes even if they break they will stay in place and it won't look like it is broken.

Cool, well done FUELER!!! The truck looks good!!:aok:

1995 Pathfinder SE-V6 with 4WD, leather heated seats, 152k miles !!!, foglights, spare tire carrier, power everything, 31" yokohama geolander AT. It even has a little switch for "suspension - sport or comfort" LOL

He saw it an instantly fell in love. There is no way you could find a 4runner in this condition for this price! ( He took it home last night, $3000 out-the-door taxes included)

When I was shopping for an import SUV, it was pathfinder or 4runner. I had a Nissan that i loved but was willing to consider Toyota. When I realised how much more (sometimes double the cost) the 4runner was than a comparable Pathy, it made the choice easy. 3 Pathy's later I'm sure I made a good choice... ;)

First, have your Bud go to the Garage section and download the 95 FSM, then read up on the temp sender for the temp gauge and measure the out put. Then check the continuity of the wires to the gauge. If that checks out, it's the gauge. I have one in the dash of my 95 that I'm parting out... We'll fix your Bud up. :D

The stud has been covered, I found I needed to fix mine due to the annoyance.

So, when was his timing belt last changed?? ;)

B

Nice truck, it reminds me of when i bought mine. I had the same manifold problem. I drove it like that for years, and the exhaust y-pipe ended up rusting out and smoking the carpet first. I fixed them with a new set of headers and stronger studs.

Edited by nige

Nice truck! I was bored one day and looked at that same posting on autotrader. I was jealous since the paint appeared to be so much nicer than mine and it had leather/heated seats. Looks just like mine before I put my own touch on it.

Nice truck! I was bored one day and looked at that same posting on autotrader. I was jealous since the paint appeared to be so much nicer than mine and it had leather/heated seats. Looks just like mine before I put my own touch on it.

yup, someone took care of it. The paint is immaculate! and the leather seats are in better shape than in my infiniti!!!

Good call B :aok:

IIRC the recommend interval is every 70K miles, so technically it should have had its 2nd belt installed by now.

Nope, for the 95 it is every 105k miles, 87-93 is every 60k.

no maintenance history...

Well, advise him that he either has 50k miles left or he is about to snap it. :shrug:

When is he joining and reading up??

B

Looks good, get him here so he can be pointed in the right direction with keeping it togher for a nice long time.

I had the same experience over 10 years ago when I bought my Pathy. 4runners way too pricey for what they are, not too mention most of the ones at that time had the sagging rear end issue.

What it's worth the 2gen 4runners rear "sag" is more cosmetic than it is actual sag(my wifes looks like it's dragging the rear bumper from strait on side looking, rockers are the same height front and back though)

Yeah, it looks like arse, Nunya. An old dog scratching it's arse on the carpet!!

Ehem.

sure it wasn't 94+ when nissan switched to the rounded tooth cam gears?

I'm sure that's when it was. 87-93 are the square tooth, 95 has the round tooth; same with the 94... ;)

B

When we're doing the studs, im going to take off the timing cover and look at the water pump to see if it's new or not. That would be a good indicator of whether the timing belt has been replaced or not, right??

When we're doing the studs, im going to take off the timing cover and look at the water pump to see if it's new or not. That would be a good indicator of whether the timing belt has been replaced or not, right??

yeah thats pretty true. also chech the normal signs of a worn out belt too

updated with new pics.

he has already ditched the geolanders in favor of 31" BFG all terrains, runs so much smoother! $570 out-the-door for BFG's not bad right?