just bought a pathfinder!

ColoradoGMA

hello all... here's a bit of my story...

so, i just bought a '96 XE today. kind of high miles (177k) but it just runs great and seems to have been well cared for... very sturdy and substantial. drives great, feels awesome. 4x4 works smooth. no leaks or drips.

plus, as we were looking at it, i found a bead-head wolly bugger fly. my buddy said that was a good omen. :D

went into the glovebox and, lo and behold, i found a bunch of old service records... lots of oil changes, some brake and suspension work, tires, but no timing belt info...

then i found a really current repair receipt with the previous owners phone number, so i called it and left a voicemail, apologizing for how that's all kinds of weird...

the previous owner called back and was super cool, i asked him he'd ever changed the timing belt. he responded that he'd called a dealership when the truck had about 90k on it and they told him it had a chain and didn't need to be changed.

a dealership. told him. it. didn't. need. to. be. CHANGED!

so. i have a truck that has 177k miles and probably has the original timing belt.

holy poop.

so, i've parked it in the garage until i can start changing that this weekend.

i found the thread where 5523pathfinder explains in detail how to go about it (his one: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12828), but if there are any other threads or pics or tips or anything related to changing the timing belt, i'd appreciate any direction y'all have to offer.

glad to be here. i really love the truck and can't wait until it's "safe" to drive. and really glad the belt didn't break as i drove it off the lot...

There aren't really any other how-to's around for the timing belt change, but the thread you've found is VERY well done, and the poster is a certified Nissan tech. They'll get you through the job with no problems, as long as you have a little mechanical inclination.

yeah, that thread is awesome... very thorough.

my main worries have to do loosening and tightening that crank shaft bolt. that thing is a BEAST.

but, it'll be good to go ahead and get all of this stuff done in one fell swoop...

well, i always shoved a nice, fat screwdriver up in there so it wouldn't budge, then had someone else take air ratchet and zap it real quick to loosen it off...... i've done 4 t-belts and no problems so far :crossedwires:

my main worries have to do loosening and tightening that crank shaft bolt. that thing is a BEAST.

but, it'll be good to go ahead and get all of this stuff done in one fell swoop...

i just relaced my crank pulley, its under the r50 forum. i just used a strap wrench set against the alternator pulley or frame rail, which ever reaches, then used a breaker bar. came out pretty easy if you have a good enough strap wrench. i broke the first one, it was a cheapy though

Welcome! Glad you found the Timing belt thread. Yeah, that pulley can be a stinker. Find someone with a air compressor and a 3/4 air gun, and dont forget the puller for the pulley! Good luck and if you have questions, do some more searching, than hit us with your questions!

Derek

holy poop.

so, i've parked it in the garage until i can start changing that this weekend.

I admit, I laughed. Why?? I just bought a 99 with 151k on it. Until further follow up, at one point I doubted if the timing belt had ever been changed. I refused to allow the GF to drive it until I cleared the issue with the PO, a very cool guy. :aok:

What about the old breaker bar on the frame and bump the starter with the coil wire removed to break it loose trick?? That what I did on my 95... Oh... Wait...

What if you did the same thing but had the handle of the breaker bar supported in a jack stand with a v groove?? It's really the same thing... :shrug:

I did have a compressor and bought a $17 air gun to tighten it though. Why?? Because my $40 electric one was too long and I couldn't get to the bolt... :D

Welcome C!! Sounds like you'll fit in just fine. Congrats on the new pathy and how about a few pictures of it... ;)

B

got it pullled apart... all of the other belts needed to be changed, too.

and the water pump bearings were starting to get weak.

and the cam shaft seals were showing the first signs of leaking.

the coolant bypass hose was starting to look a little bulge-y and out of whack.

and the timing belt had some cracks in it.

so, it was definitely time to get this done.

gotta head back out to the garage to put it all back together and make sure it runs...

yee-haw.

thanks for the encouragement, y'all.

gma