A picture of my ride

JamesRich

Because I just got it two weeks ago. Brought it home from Houston on my trailer. Gave it the once over, and changed the timing belt.

I drove it around a little and it really drives like crap, the sport suspension switch works and helps out alot but i knew something was not right. I checked the toe in with a tape measure and it has 1 1/2" of toe it! I cant figure how it got like that, none of the steering parts look like they have been touched in a long time. I bought it from a mexican, i guess he just kept putting tires on the front. Work is busy right now and hunting season just ended but I will try to get it going this weekend then maybe find some mud.

James

looks good! - I'd drive it. How was the tbelt job - I need to do mine

I worked as a mechanic for 16 years so it was just like another day at work but my hands are too big for some spots, like trying to take the nuts off the fan hub. But that was the only hard part. Also the service manual shows a mark on the oil pump housing to line up the crank pulley with. There was no mark on mine. The belt comes with three lines on it to line up with the punch marks on the crank and cam shaft pulleys so it worked out.

My belt was so loose it was rattling on the cover. Changing the belt made a huge difference in how it runs. Its alot smoother now.

Ought to magnet test the body, it has a pretty obvious repaint job. Check the floor boards under the carpet for holes.

2drs were the original and the best Pathfinders. :aok:

I was concerned about that too. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it he had just bought it in October. He didn't know much english either. Upon inspection I found that the hood and passenger fender have been replaced. It doesn't look like it was hit bad because the header panel wasn't changed it was just bent back a little. I did find some rust behind the front wheel on the driver side and along the top of the windshield but not really bad. It has a crappy paint job they didn't fix the rust just sanded and painted over it. They even painted over the stickers that were originally along the bottom. at least it looks good when you stand back. Later I will paint it a satin OD green, I will just have to build myself up to it because painting sucks.

James

My wife fussed me because the tires were muddy. I told her I'm sure these guys are used to seeing muddy tires.

James

:rofl:

Explain to her that you may get a hard time if there isn't any mud. ;)

I checked the toe in with a tape measure and it has 1 1/2" of toe it! I cant figure how it got like that, none of the steering parts look like they have been touched in a long time.

I'm sure you know this, but look for a bent tie rod end. Also the compressionrod/strut rod (the rod that goes from lower control arm to the frame) is known to rust and oval out the hole, even if the bushing looks good. Check that out before you go to far with the front end and especially before alignment.

B

:rofl:

Explain to her that you may get a hard time if there isn't any mud. ;)

I'm sure you know this, but look for a bent tie rod end. Also the compressionrod/strut rod (the rod that goes from lower control arm to the frame) is known to rust and oval out the hole, even if the bushing looks good. Check that out before you go to far with the front end and especially before alignment.

B

A bent tie rod was the first thing I looked for but I didn't think about the compression rod. You were right on the money, part of the rubber bushing is missing from the back or nut side. It doesn't look like it moved that far forward to cause the toe problem but we will see after I change them. This is why I join forums, when I have a problem someone usually knows what is causing it. You guys are great! Thank you Precise, that was precise info!

Now I bet none of the local part houses will have the bushings.

James

Couple members here that can help you with that issue as well man. Alkorahil is high up or something in a Nissan Dealership's online sales thing or something along that line and SteeevO runs Rugged Rocks (which is where I got mine from a fiew months ago) just off the top of my head. You will see good reviews on dealing with both of them anytme their names are brought up

awesome truck, looks mint, interesting two-tone. you will have many years and many miles of memories with that one! congrats.

Thanks man, I look forward to having lots of fun in this truck. From what I've been hearing on this forum and others these trucks run forever and go through almost anything. The main place I will be wheeling is my hunting lease. I wont have to worry about rain anymore when I'm hunting 5 miles away from the camp.

James

You are welcome James, but I'm just passing along what I learned here from others, but then rebuilding my own front end helped too... :D

Since this is a 'problem' area, I went with a poly urethane set from Rugged Rocks for $40 or something. Steeevo (sole proprietor) is a great guy and a member here. Oh, Nunya already covered this...

You can but the soft rubber item and I'm sure it will last a long time also.

B

Guys while searching about the tension rod (compression rod) I found a post that said this bushing needs to flex and the polyurethane bushing were too hard for this area. They said that by not being flexible enough it would cause the compression rod to eventually break. Then the tire buries in the fender and locks up. I will have to search again to see if I can find it again. If I remember right this persons did break and he spun around in the middle of the road. His compression rod could have been worn badly from the previous bushing being bad for to long and he didn't mention that.

James

I read this also and can say that the only time that I have ever heard of someone breaking that rod in the 5 years I have been a member here is when it was damn near rusted and worn through in the first place.

I just put the poly units on my truck as I want the stiffness. The poly will oval out a bit and does compress some. I seriously doubt that the 1/2" steel rod will break because of them. I doubt Energy Suspension would sell them if this was common. ;)

But hey, use the softer ones if it makes you nervous. ":shrug:

B

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here replaced their lower control arm bushing? I'm talking about the bushing in the front not the compression rod bushings. First, what the hell was Nissan thinking! Press the bushing in the frame instead of the removable A arm! When they say you need a special tool to change this bushing they aren't lying to you! I will have to make myself one tomorrow. I cut the center out of the old one and figured I would split the sleeve and just knock it out. Boy was I wrong! 4 hours later with chisels punches and an air hammer I finally got the @#%& thing out. All my neighbors really enjoyed me and the air hammer. Then I tried driving the new one in with the air hammer with a big socket on the end. I still have about a half inch to go and it wont budge anymore. Tomorrow at work I will turn a couple of sleeves and pick up a piece of all thread to make a "special tool". My suggestion if you need to change the bushings on your pathy, sell it!

James

Has anyone here replaced their lower control arm bushing? I'm talking about the bushing in the front not the compression rod bushings. First, what the hell was Nissan thinking! Press the bushing in the frame instead of the removable A arm! When they say you need a special tool to change this bushing they aren't lying to you! I will have to make myself one tomorrow. I cut the center out of the old one and figured I would split the sleeve and just knock it out. Boy was I wrong! 4 hours later with chisels punches and an air hammer I finally got the @#%& thing out. All my neighbors really enjoyed me and the air hammer. Then I tried driving the new one in with the air hammer with a big socket on the end. I still have about a half inch to go and it wont budge anymore. Tomorrow at work I will turn a couple of sleeves and pick up a piece of all thread to make a "special tool". My suggestion if you need to change the bushings on your pathy, sell it!

James

lol. or you could burn them out like I did. it sucks though. even with a mask on i breathed in tons of black stuff.

lol. or you could burn them out like I did. it sucks though. even with a mask on i breathed in tons of black stuff.

Oh believe me I was wishing I had a torch. I had gotten most of the rubber out so smoke wouldn't have been a problem. It was that damn soft metal sleeve! A torch would have helped alot. My brother has one at his house but he lives in the next town over. If Nissan would have pressed the bushing into the arm instead of the frame I could have brought it to his house.

I have been a mechanic since 1988 and never had this much trouble working on anything! Even on big diesel trucks. Course I was always working in a fully equipped shop.

James

Edited by JamesRich

Oh believe me I was wishing I had a torch. I had gotten most of the rubber out so smoke wouldn't have been a problem. It was that damn soft metal sleeve! A torch would have helped alot. My brother has one at his house but he lives in the next town over. If Nissan would have pressed the bushing into the arm instead of the frame I could have brought it to his house.

I have been a mechanic since 1988 and never had this much trouble working on anything! Even on big diesel trucks. Course I was always working in a fully equipped shop.

James

man, that really unmotivates me to do that job... i got all the bushings but don't have an airhammer. :FartExplode-vi:

man, that really unmotivates me to do that job... i got all the bushings but don't have an airhammer. :FartExplode-vi:

The air hammer didn't do much good. Build a puller type setup but use at least a 1/2" all thread rod. I still have around 1/2" to go to get the bushing flush. I grabbed a 7/16 all thread for my puller setup I put together and stripped it without moving the bushing at all! :headwall:

I'm about ready to setup one of my other toys in front of the pathy and teach it a lesson!

Picture071.jpg

There might be a pathfinder for sale cheap with no front end parts and a lot of holes in it!

James