Am I crazy or just cheap?!

FrostTheOne

Hello again, long time since I posted anything here.

I have a question that may seem a little ridiculous to some but if you have a cheap viable alternative I am more than open to suggestions.

The two rear quarter panels on my truck are rusted out, allowing water and mud into the "hollow" for the quarter panel where the tail light harness is. Now I live in Canada, so lots of snow and moisture. It is causing me issue and I think I have come up with a cheap although semi "redneck" fix.

So here it is, if I were to plug the hole at the bottom and fill the quarter panel (1/3 to 1/2 full) with expanding foam would the pressure push out my panel. The expanding foam is water resistant and mold resistant so I think that it at least has some chance of being a successful stopgap. I hope this doesn't seem overly schtupid but I don't have the expertise or funds (or parts) to replace the panels properly.

So what do you think?

Workable?

Fix but lame?

Not gonna work?

Just plain dumb?

Anyways thanks as always for the input, and if you have a different suggestion please feel free to put it out there.

I wouldn't.

If anything slap some pieces of sheet metal over it with self tapping sheet metal screws. Filling it with foam will not bulge the panel back out, and it will seal in any crap that is in there. If you ever were to want to fix it properly you would be cursing the foam trying to remove it. Also, to fix it properly you would need to weld new steel in, foam is highly flamible.

If you want a real "simple" fix, slap some duck tape over the holes.

I think that the mudders that I have on have been pounding the panel with rocks so its a fairly substantial hole. I may have to do the sheet metal patch greg mentioned. We'll see.

Keep the suggestions coming, thanks everyone.

Both!!! Oh, what was the question?? :D

X2 on the sheet metal patch. Get a section of thin stainless sheet and trim/form it to what you need (over lap seperate plates if it is too dificult to use 1), drill some appropriately small holes, seal the edges with RTV and screw it on. Depending on how you do it, it won't look too redneck (especially if it is the same on both sides) and allows you to access everything at a later date. This is almost exactly how I fixed the infamous burnt driver side floor board.

B

Cut the whole bottom of the quarter panel off behind the wheel and make a flat piece o fmetal to connect the inner and outer panel? Seriousy just metal it now would be my suggestion or if tryign to wait for better weather bust out the duct tape for now. It peals back off and comes in colors.

your fine just put some of the foam on the bottom just so its sealed. i have done it both of my pathfinders and its gone years and isnt rusting out very fast now. I have never had a problem with it so i would just do that. obvously dont fill; the whole quarter panel just do where u have to and do a little at a time it expands alot. i used "great stuff"

A pic of the damage would help, but maybe you could fiberglass the holes up. Cut up some thin cardboard from a 12 pack, cover it with aluminum foil and tape it to the inside of the hole. Then 'glass over the holes and skim it with Bondo. And if the repair isn't too far up, tape off a line from the front wheels back to the tail lights and hit it with bedliner spray. That stuff will cover up some pretty ugly body repairs, believe me.

I agree with jj big shoe,use that fiber glass mating stuff wait for it to harden(it takes a full 24 hours usally so this maybe a problem) and go over it with bondo filler,all in all you would be out maybe 30 bucks depending on the paint/bedliner you get...