antenna or is it...

Channel595

on my car there is a line that runs down the middle of the windshield and over to the passenger side and connected to a lead what is this for. it does have a normal antenna on the fender...

they are both antennas. I think my dad had to take the pathy back to the shop one time becuse they gave him a window w/o the center wire and left the pigtail hainging out on the dash. I don't remember fully, I was little.

Yes it's a second antenna for the radio. When I had my window replaced they specifically asked if my broken one had an antenna on it. Then explained exactly what they meant. When I got back to my truck (it was done while I was at work) and inspected the work, I noted that they had soldered the pigtail to the contact pad in the lower right corner.

Yes it's a second antenna for the radio. When I had my window replaced they specifically asked if my broken one had an antenna on it. Then explained exactly what they meant. When I got back to my truck (it was done while I was at work) and inspected the work, I noted that they had soldered the pigtail to the contact pad in the lower right corner.

If I remember reading my FSM correctly.. that antenna is for AM.

It is called a diversity antenna system. Both antennas work for FM. Window antenna works for Fm only. If you remove the window one you will lose the benefits of the diversity antenna. If you remove the mast you will lose Am reception. The original radio had a special antenna plug that contained two connectors. If you replaced the factory radio an adapter would be required to use the factory antennas with the new radio. See link Below.

What it is:

A diversity antenna system uses two antennae mounted at different locations on the vehicle and automatically chooses one that provides the better FM radio signal. The customer is therefore less likely to notice static or weak audio signals due to obstructions.

How it works:

Power lines, traffic lights and buildings can cause local areas of weak FM signals. When driving through such areas, a listener might notice decreased volume or increased noise or static often when the vehicle is stopped for a traffic signal. With two antennae, there is a better chance that one will receive a clear signal. A circuit inside the radio automatically chooses the better signal.

Customer benefit:

Better FM radio reception.

Adapter

http://cableorganizer.com/outlet/DAS-40NI30.html?section=3&catname=CATV+%2F+MATV+%2F+Satellite+]+Switches+%2F+Amps+%2F+Transformers&src=froogle&CAWELAID=299533734

Edited by msavides

• 3 weeks later...