Rear Diff Locker

Curious if anyone has installed a possitive rear locker? Possitive as in all the time, unswitched. Almost everytime I go offroad I run into the same problem of spinning tires. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting there in my lifted Pathfinder with 33" tires and watching the tire go round and round in my mirror while the other tire just does nothing!!! I know I could take out the rear sway bar, but I daily drive the truck on the highway and do not want to sacrifice control or handling. Looking for some input, i.e. tire wear, fuel consumption, handling, offroad improvements?

LOL, he said that nicely!!

Everything from ARB air lockers to Lockrite mechanical lockers to Lincoln (welded) lockers. It's all here, just gotta look and read up. Let me know if you can't find the info...

B

Maybe I'm just stupid but what is the point in posting something if all anyone can say is "SEARCH". Well searching is what led me to this website in the first place! Yes I can search and read stuff from people decades ago or I can ask a question and get some real time input. I did search and my post was the only one that came up??? I wonder if some people even drive pathfinders on this site, seems like some just wait to see and how un-helpfull they can be! Really what's the point of having this website at all if that's the only feedback you get! Whatever.

in general is a bad idea if you are even considering tire where.

if you coast aorund corners you will have the same action as no locker, if you power around corners you will see inreased tire wear.

and search, this has been convered extensively on this site.. LOTS and LOTS

Edited by RedPath88
Merged Thread

there is no such thing as a positive locker.

what you are thinking is called an automatic locker meaning you don't have to do anything i.e. detroit, grizzly, locrite, Aussie.

a selectable locker such as an ARB or electo locker or ox is the other type.

In addtion do you want a lunch box locker?

do you want a full carrier locker?

a spool?

Maybe I'm just stupid but what is the point in posting something if all anyone can say is "SEARCH". Well searching is what led me to this website in the first place! Yes I can search and read stuff from people decades ago or I can ask a question and get some real time input. I did search and my post was the only one that came up??? I wonder if some people even drive pathfinders on this site, seems like some just wait to see and how un-helpfull they can be! Really what's the point of having this website at all if that's the only feedback you get! Whatever.

The point they are trying to make is that there is a wealth of information on the site if you just take a moment to look around. As stated lockers have been covered in depth and none of it is "decades old." With just a little reading most of your questions can be answered and as a side benefit you will likely learn more about other aspects of your truck. Reading other threads on the topic also helps keep NPORA more organized and user friendly. As does continuing an existing thread if there is something that you are unclear on or believe was not covered well enough.

Also, restraining attitude along with a little effort before expecting others too do it for you, will go a lot further with the people of NPORA, than simply saying "whatever" and creating a new thread on the same topic. wink.gif *which has now been merged into this one*

beer.gif

Edited by RedPath88
Noted Merge

No need to get uptight man, some people keep quiet on some fronts using here and myself as an example... I am not gonna tell you whats good or bad about a locker since I don't have one. I CAN tell you as said that they have been covered in quite a fiew different ways. Heck people even offered to help you search if you would just ask :aok: Nobody is jumping down your throat, this ain't pirate... calm down some :beer:

hey , I'll give an answer even if I think that you should always educate yourself first by reading...

You say you do no want to sacrifice road handling... Well... I have 2 arb lockers and driving with my rear locked all the time would definitely change the way my truck handles... it's simple really... You'll wear your tires probably unevenly because of all the bouncing or screeching you'll get from turns on asphalt. You cannot be locked all the time and expect everything to stay the same... if you really want to keep everything intact and be locked, then you have to use a selectable locker.

Now if you are ready to live with the impacts than you either buy a spool or you can even weld the spider gears yourself (given you can weld)...

don't kid yourself, locking the diff permanently WILL put more strain on your drivetrain period.

now, i suggest you read a bit and get yourself your own opinion, cause in the end , you'll be the one living with your decision.

Edited by fleurys

Sorry, not trying to be difficult. I have a rear Lockrite locker and have answered a lot of questions concerning handling, tire wear and overal driveablity. Im not trying to be difficult. I will even search LOCKER and see what I find. I will post what I find....

Just got done searching and got 8 pages of info just by searching LOCKER. That doesnt include the writeup in the garage section how-to's.

Yes, I will admit that our search function is a little goofy, but you got to at least try a few times. I do no mean to come off mean, but you will find more information searching sometimes than what you will get in one thread. Lots of infor from people who dont currently post.

First off if there is no such thing as a "positive locker" someone should let Calmini know because they are selling a "The LockRight positive locking differential is second to none." Second off, time and time again I will read a fellow Pathfinder owners question and will repeatedly see the reply of "SEARCH" over and over again. I don't care how many times I get asked the same question, I wont forward someone to a response from a similiar question asked who knows how long ago. I have been a Pathfinder owner for 10 years and would be happy to take the time to write a few words down to a fellow owner in hopes of making their experience a little less frustrating. I'm just looking for some input from someone who has had some experience with a posi rear end and if anyone has the time to write a few words on the subject it would be greatly appreciated. The funny thing is my reply to all this "SEARCHING" has given a greater response than the question??? I really don't understand? I have done 4 timing belts, 2 starters, replaced an engine, pulled injectors, repacked bearings, brakes, hubs, electrical issues, resoldered fuel pump terminals, replaced gas tank, radiator, hard wired starter, body lift, suspension lift, wheel alignment, exhaust, stereo and on and on. If anyone has any questions or needs some help I am more than happy to help you. I will not reply "SEARCH", I will reply "here's something that helped me"... So next time someone askes for some infortmation, if you have nothing to add... don't.

well, i have answere this question multiple times on the site, why should i answer the same question every day.

and i've never heard the term positive locking diffential and i've been working on 4x4's and axles for years, and have installed several locker and done gear setups. besides, that is not what your question stated you asked about a positive rear locker and just hte fact that calimini thinks the locrite is second to none, make me think even less of calmini.

(salesmen will tell you anything you want to hear, i'm telling you the trueth)

I wonder if some people even drive pathfinders on this site, seems like some just wait to see and how un-helpfull they can be!

Ok, I'm done laughing and will just assume you are having a bad day/week/month. But then you start again!! :blink:

I don't care how many times I get asked the same question, I wont forward someone to a response from a similiar question asked who knows how long ago.

On the first part, I challenge you to live up to that 5 years from now with constant, daily informative posts, not 50 posts in 250 days. If you can do this, you are a better man than I am; I get tired of typing the same thing over and over!!

On the second, the posts are dated so there is no guess as to how old they are. If the truck and locker was made 10 years ago and the install/review information is 5 years old, that somehow disqualifies it?? You are not being rational.

The system here is to have a few threads on the same topic that have a long history and many pages of posts so the information and input is contiguous as possible, not 100 different threads that just have a scattering of posts/information. We even try to link appropriate threads to lengthen the chain, not start over every time someone asks. It really works better that way in the long run, trust me on this.

Ok, this is what I know. I can't justify $1k on the ARB air locker I want, so I bought a Lockrite locker which is sitting in the broken washing machine in the garage next to the CBR1100XX. I can't install it in the pathfinder that I don't drive because it is a LSD rear end so I have to buy an open differential first. From what I have heard, road manners (cornering) are iffy, tire wear is significant but it makes a huge difference off road. Owning 3 pathfinders of two different models (none of which have ever been driven, much less worked on by me), I'm going to wait until summer to decide if I am going to put a mechanical locker rear axle into my daily driver that I don't drive. I will look up the thread that 5523Pathfinder (the nissan/infinity mechanic) started or chimed in on a couple of years ago, amongst others, to reassess the pros and cons. Then I will search to find the appropriate installation How To and read all of it, hopefully 18 pages over 10 years and then I will be satisfied that I know all that I need to and have read all the tricks, do's and dont's to learn from other peoples valuable experience that was recorded when it was fresh in their mind.

Yeah, a bit sarcastic and wise-assish, but I'm kinda like that anyway and you bring it out.

As I said before, if you can't find the info, let me know, I'll help you find it. If you don't even want to try, why should I? If you think something written years ago is useless, I'm not sure I can help you to your satisfaction regardless.

B

Enough has been stated already. Your information has been provided by 87pathy as well as others. As stated from the moderators on this forums, which are given the responsibility not just because they like to talk, but because they've been dedicated to Pathfinders and this forum a long time, and because they happen to know a thing or 2 about our vehicles. Dedicated members here that know a tremendous amount about our vehicles are all telling you to use the search function here on the forums and to learn it's uses well. If its not working for you then you're either not using it correctly or are not using the right type of search criteria. Perhaps you weren't able to find anything on a "Positive Locker" since no one really uses that specific term. Try many different variations and 9 time out of 10 come up with very valuable information. Yes its time consuming, and yes it would be easier to just ask us all to answer you, but for many of us, we're tired of answering the same questions over and over again.

If you had any idea how many time I've seen the topics asking questions about "What size tire can I fit" and so on.

And reviewing your topics that you've posted here since you became a member here in April, 2 of them had been covered many times before,(Rust Holes in Floor, and Rear Lift gate Hydraulics) And when doing your searches it really makes no difference if the post was from 2004 or not. The information is still Valid and is not suddenly going to become outdated just because the Post is old. You're driving around in a 1993 vehicle, how current do you need the posts to be?

There really is no need to continue on this thread since the topic question has been answered. But I just felt somewhat obligated to say something since this is a good community and many people have better things to do then answer questions that are constantly asked here over and over again when all the person would have to do is take the less lazy approach and use the search function.

Edited by Dowser

just weld the diff, it can increase your torque by 25% and increase gas mileage by 10% its also cheapest option.

:scratchhead:

um, please explain how you figure.

the only true statemeent here is its the cheapest, however, a nissan dif is not so easy to weld.

and maybe you should explain the downfalls to welding a diff. Spools haver a few draw backs.

hey , I'll give an answer even if I think that you should always educate yourself first by reading...

You say you do no want to sacrifice road handling... Well... I have 2 arb lockers and driving with my rear locked all the time would definitely change the way my truck handles... it's simple really... You'll wear your tires probably unevenly because of all the bouncing or screeching you'll get from turns on asphalt. You cannot be locked all the time and expect everything to stay the same... if you really want to keep everything intact and be locked, then you have to use a selectable locker.

Now if you are ready to live with the impacts than you either buy a spool or you can even weld the spider gears yourself (given you can weld)...

don't kid yourself, locking the diff permanently WILL put more strain on your drivetrain period.

now, i suggest you read a bit and get yourself your own opinion, cause in the end , you'll be the one living with your decision.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate the advise.

No need for a new topic to say restate the above, so I have removed the other thread (which is now the 3rd in this single discussion).

This is part of the reason to many bad results come up when people search.

Keeping things organized in fewer threads makes everyones life easier on the forum.

No need for a new topic to say restate the above, so I have removed the other thread (which is now the 3rd in this single discussion).

This is part of the reason to many bad results come up when people search.

Keeping things organized in fewer threads makes everyones life easier on the forum.

can you remove the WRONG / false information?