Rebuilding Engine...need advise on cams

kcpath

bought a second 91 MT pathy for parts plus I'm going to swap my fried 92 AT to the MT. While I'm in there I'm going to pull the engine have it machined and rebuild. What cams should I get....my banks already broke so I can't spend too much more. My new headers should be here any day. Please provide links if you can. THanks!

There are only two cam grinds other then stock you can choose from,theres a eroupion grind and a slight less agressive grind,I dont know who makes them(other then nissan) but RPMRONs has cam grinds but there pretty spendy...

Nismo makes European spec cams that wake these engines right up. I think they list for $300-$400, but new or slightly used sets pop up on Ebay every now and then for less than $200.

Nismo makes European spec cams that wake these engines right up. I think they list for $300-$400, but new or slightly used sets pop up on Ebay every now and then for less than $200.

like these.....don't know if I can justify $250 plus shipping for around 10HP more. But if I had money to blow...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320465382067&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

one thing i always wanted to try is put some dual cam heads on from a maxima or a 300z looks like the same physical size dont know if the intake matches up though and i think there is one more idler for the timing belt... junk yard would be the best bet

Too wide for the Pathfinder engine bay unless you do a lot of custom fab work. You would also need to rotate the intake so it faces the front or use the VG intake, which I don't know if it's a direct bolt on or what.

Schneider Racing will regrind your cams for about $230. I got the 262-h grind (.420" lift/262 deg.) which was the closest to the Jim Wolf S1 cams that Schneider offered at the time. They have a .470"/264 grind now. Be sure to get a new set of springs that match the new cam's profile. I got new springs and lifters, but you could get away with just resurfacing your liftersif you want to save a buck. I also ported and polished the heads. I did all this when I swapped my old 200K+ engine with one that had under 40K on it so to tell you the truth, I don't know how beneficial it all was. The performance gains felt might just be the newer engine.

If you're really going to get the block machined and rebuilt, you should look into boring it out to a 3.3 or maybe getting a stroker kit. Those would prolly give you more "umph" than cams and since you're honing cylinders and buying new pistons anyway.

And since you're tearing into the block, take a look at other Nissan sites, like nissan4wheelers.com and some 300ZX sites. They might have some more info on how to build VG30 HP from the ground up.

Good luck with it and make sure you label EVERYTHING when you tear it down.

If you're really going to get the block machined and rebuilt, you should look into boring it out to a 3.3 or maybe getting a stroker kit. Those would prolly give you more "umph" than cams and since you're honing cylinders and buying new pistons anyway.

I'll probably have them grinded as you suggested. What is the oversize bore I need to get to for the 3.3?

I've never over-bored a block, so I would have no idea. Check around this site and others. I think some folks have replaced their 3.0 engines with the 3.3 and still used their old 3.0 heads since they flow better or since they have a smaller chamber and would increase compression (or it was the other way around, 3.3 heads on the 3.0). Anyway, my advice is to look around at your options since you've decided to tear into the block anyway and get the best bang for your buck.

3.3 and 3.0 heads have the same compression but the 3.3 was made using an improved casting process that allowed for a more effiecent flow design.

ex. fewer & smaller casting seams + smoother and rounder chamber.

Edited by MY1PATH

there is a member selling ported/polished 3.3 heads with stage one cams in the classifieds section.

i checked it out...I can do better than $600. Thanks though.

I think I'm going to try and go 1.00mm oversize because I can get pistons that fit. I don't wanna have to get custom pistons made. I'm just making this project harder then it should be. :)