Consumer Reports Online

k9sar

Folks

I know it may be a longshot but my 20+ year old washer finally broke beyond the point where I am willing to fix it and I am in the market for a replacement washer/dryer set and wanted to get some information from consumer reports. My father let his subscription (magazine) expire last year and only has old information available for me. I would like to lookup the most recent reviews of high efficiency washers/dryers but would prefer not to buy a years subscription to do so. Does anyone out there have either a login/password that I can borrow to look these up or perhaps could do the lookup for me and email me the information?

Thanks

yes, cheap and proud of it. I took a look at our dryer, which is the same make and year, and realized that there are some common electronics etc between the 2 units. I was wondering if I could re-engineer them to use plug-in modules so that either unit could utilize the same pieces. Plug it in to do the wash then plug it into the dryer to complete the load. Eliminates redundancy and gives you spare parts.

The boss (wife) put a stop to my efforts before I got very far along.

• Like 1

LOL I have a drier in the garage that will cost more to fix than I paid for it so I should recycle it, but I hate wasting things like that. It would be a good drier for someone else if they bought the $100 part, nothing else is wrong with it. :shrug:

I just bought another one for $60... ;)

*end of thread jack*

B

• 4 years later...

K deals with some of this for her job.

I have a Rheem heat pump and have always heard good things about the brand; most professionals seems to have the 'ok, that is acceptable' attitude when the brand is mentioned.

Whirlpool used to be a top line but I think that these days the quality depends on what item and model you get, probably in the get what you pay for category.

Are you looking at high efficiency, tankless or old fashioned?

Ok, Rheem also makes water heaters for GE so some models will be identical (and maybe cheaper), and they are made in Mexico.

Whirlpool water heaters are manufactured by the American water heater company, and they have a lot of negative reports (class action law suit as well).

If it was only between the two I'd go with the Rheem because if nothing else, apparently they have good warranties and honor them.

Good luck!

B

American is owned by A.O. Smith which also has many other brand names in their posession. I never liked all the parent company webs, you never know who is hiding behind what. Another reason to go with Rheem IMO.

Edited by Precise1