Rear Coil Size

Thunderbolt

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tires were a 35x12.5r15. Measured more like 13" wide and just under 35" tall when mounted and full of air.

The wheels were standard black 15x8" steelies with 3.75" backspacing. No way to run more backspacing as I had hardly ANY clearance between the strut and tire.

Edited by tmorgan4

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys like your custom coils? I've had an SFD for more than three years now and I'm getting ready to redo my rear set-up. With the weight of my custom rear bumper with 33" tire swing there is way too much bouncing around. So I probably need stronger shocks, but making one change always seems to end up with a complete overhaul...

Current running in the rear:

3" blocks

AC 2" lift coils

bilstein 5150 shocks (#BF5-A187-H0, 11.93" travel, valving 170/60, extended 29.70, compressed 17.78)

stock links

stock panhard

extended brake line

stillen extended swaybar

Thinking of changing:

5-5.5" custom coils, 160+ stiffness

shocks #BF5-A187-H1 which has same dimensions but valved 255/70, or another suggestion?

custom links + panhard

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to get a hold of this Kevin at coilsprings.com... But haven't heard from the guy regarding custom coils.

Last I heard from him, he wanted me to send a pair of front OEM coils in for "calibration and testing". Did anyone else get this request? :scratchhead:

All I want are 1.5"+ coils at 160#/pr for the front and 5.5"+ coils at 160#/pr for the rear... :huh:

Maybe it's because they never made coils for the front and need to take measurements and stock spring rate for their data. I have an extra set front springs if you want to send those over. I don't know if they asked you for one or two, but I have 2.

Jose

I thought to let everybody know that I just receive the rear coils and took exactly 5 weeks to show up at my door step when I order them. They how ever said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to complete and I thought this would help.

David

I tried gettign a quote and here is what I got out of it....

Hello Terry,

No it does not.

I would estimate shipping cost in the $30 to $40 range. I will not know the exact amount until the springs have been manufactured and weighted.

Thank you

Kevin ]

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:55 AM

To: info@coilsprings.com

Subject: Re: Quote Request: terry henry

Does that price include shipping?

-----Original Message-----

To: terryhenryjr@aol.com

Sent: Mon, Jan 18, 2010 11:48 am

Subject: RE: Quote Request: terry henry

Hello Terry,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. When you said four, I thought you were meaning front and rear coils springs.

Rear – coil springs - +6.00" lift & 160#/in spring rate.

Pricing: 2 pair @ 248.40pr

Thank you

Kevin

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:34 AM

I do not need front springs, a friend of mine is doing the same lift and might need the same springs, so what is the price for 4 and what is the price for 2? The $298.60 does that include shipping and for both springs?

Sent: Mon, Jan 18, 2010 11:22 am

Hello Terry,

1999 Nissan Pathfinder

Front – coil springs - +6.00" lift & ????#/in spring rate

Pricing: estimate: $ 276.40 pr

Pricing: $ 268.20 pr

What coil spring rate do you require for the front coils?

Thank you and I await your response to proceed.

Kevin

Coil Spring Specialties

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:12 AM

This vehicle is my daily driver with a 2" suspension l;ift and 4" subframe drop so I need custom springs made, its not a rock crawler and it is a straight axle with a 4link rear. The $298.60 does that include shipping and for both springs? What kind of deal could I get if I ordered 4?

Sent: Mon, Jan 18, 2010 10:48 am

Hello Terry,

1999 Nissan Pathfinder

Pricing: $ 298.60 pr

Is the vehicle being used as rock crawler?

Is the rear suspension – straight axle on this vehicle?

Thank you and I await your response to proceed.

Kevin

Coil Spring Specialties

Thats good, glad you got everything fiugured out; I actually called in this morning to coil springs and my order is still being made. For reference my order number is 1872; in case anyone else wanted to get the same springs. Glad to hear you got everyhting straigtened out.

I'm trying to get a hold of this Kevin at coilsprings.com... But haven't heard from the guy regarding custom coils.

Last I heard from him, he wanted me to send a pair of front OEM coils in for "calibration and testing". Did anyone else get this request? :scratchhead:

All I want are 1.5"+ coils at 160#/pr for the front and 5.5"+ coils at 160#/pr for the rear... :huh:

I ordered my 5.5" lift coils for the rear on Mar 17 and they called me yesterday (May 18) to say they are ready to ship them. Basically took 9 weeks to finish the springs and I'm guessing another week for shipping, 10 weeks total. I was told 4-6 weeks. Not sure what the issue was but I'm excited they're on their way! My order # is 2523 if you want to reference that for the rear coils. As for the front, I thought they had a database full of stock spring specs and they would use that to go off, but maybe they don't.. FYI, the front springs you have (OME right?) are 200# and provide you with ~ 1.5" of lift, so why do you want new ones???

For everyone's info, here is my email to ARB tech support and their response, on specs for the OME front and rear coils:

Hi,

Can you please tell me some technical info about the products you sell for R50 pathfinders (my truck is a 1997):

1) Pathfinder Rear Shock - Item # N61. What is the compressed/extended length?

2) Pathfinder Front Coil Springs - Item # 923 - What is the spring rate?

3) Pathfinder Rear Coil Springs - Item # 922 - What is the spring rate?

Thanks.

Hi,

1) N61- Open:607; Closed:367

2) OME923: 200 lbs/in

3) OME922: 140 lbs/in

Hope that info helps!

Matt Glass

ARB USA

Tech and Marketing Assistant

Awesome! Did you get them installed yet?

I started installing them about 10 minutes after they arrive on the door step and it looks sick :aok: So, all I need to do is get a longer brake line made and see what to do about the pan hard.

David

I ordered my 5.5" lift coils for the rear on Mar 17 and they called me yesterday (May 18) to say they are ready to ship them. Basically took 9 weeks to finish the springs and I'm guessing another week for shipping, 10 weeks total. I was told 4-6 weeks. Not sure what the issue was but I'm excited they're on their way! My order # is 2523 if you want to reference that for the rear coils. As for the front, I thought they had a database full of stock spring specs and they would use that to go off, but maybe they don't.. FYI, the front springs you have (OME right?) are 200# and provide you with ~ 1.5" of lift, so why do you want new ones???

I think for the 5.5" lift coils everything's good to go. I'll ask him if he can use the same information from your coils. Thanks

I thought the OME HD (#928 coils) provide 1.75" of lift...? I guess with settling 1.5" seems about right. Are these also the coils you're running up front?

I think for the 5.5" lift coils everything's good to go. I'll ask him if he can use the same information from your coils. Thanks

I thought the OME HD (#928 coils) provide 1.75" of lift...? I guess with settling 1.5" seems about right. Are these also the coils you're running up front?

I have the 923's up front and got about 1.25" - 1.5" after settling. Even with 1.75" lift (if you get that from the 928's) you should be fine, I wouldn't bother getting custom front springs made just to fine tune because of 1/4", you might end up getting 2" lift from the custom springs, you never know...

David... If you still need a brake line I have the one off mine. I offered it to a guy on ronin but never heard from him. $20 is all I want. I can help with a panhard too if you need.

Tyler

Hey tmorgan If you have any other extended brake lines id be interested. I have been running all over town to try and find a place to do it with no success. One place said they could but their machine was broken, and they needed to see the line off the vehicle. So I went and got a stock line and im going to bring it up there tomorrow to get a definate answer. But if David doesnt want it i will take it for 20 bucks! Just to clarify the brake line that needs to be extended is the rubber one that goes down to the hard lines kinda next to the diff breather correct?

Hey tmorgan If you have any other extended brake lines id be interested. I have been running all over town to try and find a place to do it with no success. One place said they could but their machine was broken, and they needed to see the line off the vehicle. So I went and got a stock line and im going to bring it up there tomorrow to get a definate answer. But if David doesnt want it i will take it for 20 bucks! Just to clarify the brake line that needs to be extended is the rubber one that goes down to the hard lines kinda next to the diff breather correct?

Sounds good! It's always hard to find good shops out here in Colorado but there is one place that is awesome for brake lines and anything plumbing related. I've got a factory rubber line that I can bring in and have him make a longer one if you need it. Let me know if your connection falls through. It might be a little more than $20 (if this one is gone first) but they aren't all that expensive.

David... If you still need a brake line I have the one off mine. I offered it to a guy on ronin but never heard from him. $20 is all I want. I can help with a panhard too if you need.

Tyler

That sounds good Tyler, I try to get of hold of you soon.

David

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys just reading through the topic, those of you who have installed the custom length springs for the rear, do you have to what measurements they were made at?

as all ive got out of it was 160lb spring rate, 13.5mm dia rod and 5" ID, what was the finished length that would be suitable for say a 3.5" sfd?