Recall/tsb: Front Seat Belts

NHTSA Campaign Number: 95V103002 

Vehicle/Equipment Make: NISSAN 

Vehicle/Eqipment Model: PATHFINDER 

Model Year: 1988 

Mfg Campaign Number:

Mfg Component Desc: SEAT BELTS:FRONT:BUCKLE ASSEMBLY 

Mfg Involved in Recall: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC. 

Manufacture Dates: 08-01-86 through 07-01-91 

Type of Report: (V) Vehicle 

Potential # of Units Affected: 2,730,462 

Date Owner Notified by Mfg: 09-29-95 

Recall Initiated By: ODI 

Mfg Responsible for Recall: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC. 

Report Recieved Date: 05-24-95 

Record Creation Date: 05-24-95 

Regulation Part Number:

FMVSS Number:

Defect Summary:

THE FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLE RELEASE BUTTONS CAN BREAK. THESE RED PLASTIC RELEASE BUTTONS ARE MARKED "PRESS." IF A BUTTON BREAKS, PIECES CAN FALL INTO THE BUCKLE ASSEMBLY CAUSING THE BUCKLE TO OPERATE IMPROPERLY. 

Consequence Summary:

THE SAFETY BELTS WOULD NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE PROTECTION TO AN OCCUPANT IN A VEHICLE CRASH. 

Corrective Summary:

OWNERS SHOULD PROMPTLY CHECK THE CONDITION AND OPERATION OF BOTH FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLES AND CAREFULLY INSPECT THE RED RELEASE BUTTON FOR ANY BREAKS OR CRACKS. THEY SHOULD ENSURE THAT BOTH BUCKLES ARE OPERATING PROPERLY BY INSERTING EACH LATCH PLATE INTO ITS BUCKLE, TUGGING ON THE BELT TO MAKE SURE THE LATCH IS SECURELY LOCKED, AND THEN PRESSING THE RELEASE BUTTON. THE LATCH PLATE SHOULD POP OUT OF THE BUCKLE WHEN THE BUTTON IS PRESSED. IF EITHER RELEASE BUTTON SHOWS A SIGN OF BREAKING OR CRACKING OR IF EITHER BUCKLE FAILS TO OPERATE PROPERLY, OWNERS SHOULD PROMPTLY CONTACT THEIR AUTHORIZED DEALER TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT TO HAVE THE BUCKLE REPLACED OR REPAIRED FREE OF CHARGE.

*Source: All Wold Auto

• 3 months later...

wow

thanks for posting that. i was actually going to have mine replaced, but now i suppose it's just a matter of going to a dealership. i hope they will match the factory blue.

Read this topic: http://npora.ipbhost...showtopic=24972

Here's a couple key posts from it:

The seat belts from 1989 forward are covered as a liftime warranty. It is in the last section of your owners manual. It is such an old and rarely used warranty, some dealership service writers may not be familiar with it, or believe it. Stand your ground, show them the page from the owners manual if you have to or tell them to call their warranty administrator.

It covers the seat belts wearing out or not functioning.

However, it will not cover your dog eating the seat belt in half.

That is the odd thing here, one dealer told me exactly that, but the one I am having the work done says that my 88 (built 06/88) is also covered. When they pull it up by my VIN my belts are listed as unlimited (which iirc they said applied to mileage). This has been verified three times now (when I first stopped in 1-2 months ago, when I made the apointment, then again yesterday when they had my truck in the shop)

The dealer who said they could not because it only covered 89 and newer even called. So I don't doubt them in that they are doing what they should based on the info they have. But what kinda irritated me some was they ignored me when I told them that the other dealer, using my VIN, found that it was covered. They did not even bother trying it.

As I said prior, I have never had a problem with them, but this was my first dealing with the service department. It's the dealer I have bought almost all of my dealer parts from.

So perhaps they actually started this earlier in 88? shrug.gif

The last piece finally came in (was back-ordered) and new fronts were installed yesterday.

Much more comfortable, new ones are way softer/more flexible than the old 372,000 + mile belts and they retract very easily (no more fighting them to go back in) thumbsup.gif

• 8 months later...

Posted by Alkorahil in another thread:

Ok So I went to our Warranty Administrator and got the full details from Nissan.

If your local dealer is giving you problems on seat belt replacement under warranty give them this information including the Op Codes, this is straight from Nissan.

WARRANTY COVERAGE

PLAN SB

Seat Belts - Useful life of the vehicle for 1989-2002 vehicles, 10 years for 2003 up vehicles.

OpCode VK22AA Replace Front Seat Belt Tounge Assembly - One side

OpCode VK213AA Replace Front Seat Belt Tounge Assembly - Both Sides

If you take your vehicle to get seat belts done, and they say it is not covered, tell your Service Advisor to contact their Warranty Administrator and give this information, if they do not cooperate call 1-800-NISSAN1.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know if they will replace them even if there is no "major" defect?

For example, nothings broken and they seem to still work, and the belts do retract, although they need some help the last half way, got to help them manually a bit to get them to retract in usually.

Do you think that would be enough to replace for free?

All the manufacture defects on this dang thing I have to spend a couple of thousand to fix (tranny cooler, oxygen sensors, front cv joints, rust prevention, rear bushings, exhaust bolts whatever, etc.), it would be nice to get "something" from the stingy buttheads!

Curious as to how worn o2 sensors, cv axles, and bushings are manufacturer defects?

They among other things are not simply "worn" they are defects that don't wear out the way the items normally should.

If you research those particular issues with my model, you would know that they are known "problems" with the particular product/models.

That means they were a "crap design", not simply normal wear and tear.

It's like the "Tranny Cooler" issue. That's not simply a "worn" tranny cooler, it's a major defect that shouldn't occur if the product is maintained and treated normally.

There is only btw 115,000 on the vehicle, no offroading, etc.

Further, non-reported/known "official" defects I haven't mentioned, both door locks don't work, one door won't open from the outside, another door won't lock with the door lock, etc. A vehicle so unused as this shouldn't have all these kinds of problems.

Edited by leeuniverse

Rubber bushings, zirconium heating elements on O2 sensors, and lubricated parts (if seals fail and excessive wear occurs) are acceptable cases of wear items, especially after 100,000 or more miles, countless heating cycles, constant dirt/water/road grime attacking rubber, etc.

Rubber bushings, zirconium heating elements on O2 sensors, and lubricated parts (if seals fail and excessive wear occurs) are acceptable cases of wear items, especially after 100,000 or more miles, countless heating cycles, constant dirt/water/road grime attacking rubber, etc.

I know.... I'm simply mentioned the things that have been classified as "defective" before their time, per my model.

For example, the O2 sensors "gradually degrade", they don't stop working as they should and give a check engine light like they should.

That's a "defect", not simply normal wear and tear. Same for the CV joints. Other models don't become "loose" well before the normal time, it's a defect of design and manufacture.

Anyway, I was simply mentioning that there is a bunch of things on my model I have to fix, and which most I see do need to be fixed which have been reported in reports on my vehicle of known defects and issues. That's all. No need for a war here. I do understand what you guys are saying. I'm simply reporting what has been reported as "problems". And low and behold, I have several of them.

When something has been long reported as a "common" problem with a product, that doesn't occur with other similar products, that IS NOT "wear and tear".

That's a defect.... My opinion. :)

Edited by leeuniverse

• 7 years later...

I know, OLLLDD POST...I'm going through this with my daughters 98 pathfinder.  Hall Nissan in Virginia Beach just ordered both front seat belts and they will be replaced under warranty.

They said the warranty expires in 2048.  If I didn't come to this forum, I never would have known about this issue. 

• Like 1