Seat Bealts Crappy

Channel595

i know some car companies (honda) will replace the seat belts if they are slow to retract, torn, or dont work... for as long as the car exists, for free. does nissan do the same? my seat belts all dont retract and pop out of the buckle sometimes...

It may depend on the dealer... although from the most restictive of the limitations I have heard your truck would still be covered.

I stopped by Puyallup Nissan (in WA State US) a month or two ago and they said that replacement of them was listed as "Unlimited" when they pulled it up using my VIN. I never made the two appointments (One to verify the need for replacement and ID what was needed and one to do it once the parts were in) because I just could not arrange an alternate ride when dropping it off... work has my hours so messed up I can't "bet" on anything right now.

Yesterday I stopped by Olympia Nissan, who I have always had great service with in PARTS, told me "No, you truck does not qualify because it is one year to old". That Seat Belt replacements only cover 89 and newer and there was a limit to the mileage on a vehicle (although he did not tell me what that mileage was) shiftyeyes_anim.gif

So right after I left there I called Puyallup Nissan back, they checked again (using my VIN) and once again, it said "Unlimited" ...I have the first appointment scheduled for Monday at 10:30am since I have the week off.

Hopefully they follow through and then I just have to figure out a ride or maybe do the second appointment on a Saturday (if they are open)

I tried to get them to just give me the parts (some have reported dealers allowing that) but they said they had to be able to "bill the time" So bill it, I won't care togo.gifbiggrin.gif

FYI - There is also an active recall on the front belts, the buttons can stop functioning, if it happens it's a covered replacement.

I think it's a Service Bulletin, not an actual Recall

What it's worth, I had that issue for the drivers belt. The orange button actually bone a little chunk off and jammed into the buckle. 15 minutes, a couple choice words, and a still missing screwdriver I threw and problem solved. Still have to look into this though, sometimes have issues with both front ones releasing after they lock from a hard stop or just randomly pulling on them to make sure they lock up.

Had my truck into the dealer today, they looked at it and determined that the front belts need replaced and also the half with the button on the rear center belt.

The fronts are covered under warranty, and they are going to try and find a way to get the rear one covered. It along with the padding/internal heat shielding was melted by hot exhaust prior to my purchase of the truck. They really don't think they will be able to it but are going to try anyway. If they can't, he said they will give me the best price they can on replacement if I decide to have it done.

I'll update once everything is done. Once they know when they can get the parts, they are going to call me back to schedule the install.

They even vacuumed the interior and washed the outside before giving it back :aok:

I was working on a dealership about 6 years ago and asked the service manager about this, he came out and scraped a hunk of dirt off the saddle piece on the B pillar and said, nope, just dirty. Just something to check before you get told the same thing. That said, mine are not retracting right again, and I already did a dirt check so I might need to go make an appointment myself.

I was working on a dealership about 6 years ago and asked the service manager about this, he came out and scraped a hunk of dirt off the saddle piece on the B pillar and said, nope, just dirty. Just something to check before you get told the same thing. That said, mine are not retracting right again, and I already did a dirt check so I might need to go make an appointment myself.

The "real" reason my front drivers belt is being replaced is because the belt itself is frayed, they are using the TSB as a reason to just give me new for both front seats ;)

Damn, first time in 6 years!! Better take a few pictures ASAP!! lol.gif

B

Couple months... maybe :D

And to late anyway, it got dirty again on the way home.. water and road grime kicked up by the tires :lol:

The seat belts from 1989 forward are covered as a liftime warranty. It is in the last section of your owners manual. It is such an old and rarely used warranty, some dealership service writers may not be familiar with it, or believe it. Stand your ground, show them the page from the owners manual if you have to or tell them to call their warranty administrator.

It covers the seat belts wearing out or not functioning.

However, it will not cover your dog eating the seat belt in half.

That is the odd thing here, one dealer told me exactly that, but the one I am having the work done says that my 88 (built 06/88) is also covered. When they pull it up by my VIN my belts are listed as unlimited (which iirc they said applied to mileage). This has been verified three times now (when I first stopped in 1-2 months ago, when I made the apointment, then again yesterday when they had my truck in the shop)

The dealer who said they could not because it only covered 89 and newer even called. So I don't doubt them in that they are doing what they should based on the info they have. But what kinda irritated me some was they ignored me when I told them that the other dealer, using my VIN, found that it was covered. They did not even bother trying it.

As I said prior, I have never had a problem with them, but this was my first dealing with the service department. It's the dealer I have bought almost all of my dealer parts from.

So perhaps they actually started this earlier in 88? :shrug:

Just got back from the dealer. I now have brand new seatbelts on order. it was real easy, You have to bring the vehicle in so they can check that they don't infact retract. and they needed the trim code from the metal plate in the engine bay. It was so easy, I even called Acura and also have new belts on the way for my wifes car!

• 1 month later...

The last piece finally came in (was back-ordered) and new fronts were installed yesterday.

Much more comfortable, new ones are way softer/more flexible than the old 372,000 + mile belts and they retract very easily (no more fighting them to go back in) :aok: