Strange Warm Starts?

Entropy98

Recently I have notice that on warm starts (engine is warm and I return within a few minutes) the RPM’s will jump up and down for a few seconds when I restart my pathfinder. Cold starts are normal with no fluctuation in the RPM’s. I changed the fuel filter about a year ago so I don’t think that is the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any Ideas on what it could be?

Recently I have notice that on warm starts (engine is warm and I return within a few minutes) the RPM’s will jump up and down for a few seconds when I restart my pathfinder. Cold starts are normal with no fluctuation in the RPM’s. I changed the fuel filter about a year ago so I don’t think that is the problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any Ideas on what it could be?

Have not had this happen with my pathy but I had a 1997 nissan 240 that had this issue, but it happened both cold and warm. Not a large fluctuation in the RPM but noticable at idle on the tach at about 110,000 mi. Around 112,000 mi. it idled rougher, one of the injectors went. that was the culprit, replaced, never a problem again and sold car running fine with 170,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked the air and fuel filters lately?

Fuel filter changed last year and air filter is clean. Could it be related to the change in temp. Tends to happen more and stronger when it is cold.

I would check your MAF sensor. My '87 did this quite often for a while until one day I was fiddling around with something and I hit the harness going to the sensor. The idle changed and so I continued to play with the connector and wires for a while and then the fluctuating idle completely went away.

Different years, but you have the same symptoms I did so I figured I would throw that out there.

Edited by Kingman

Sounds like the Mass Air Flow sensor. I had mine done and it sounds as if is the same diagnosis. Make sure they re-program everything once they put the new MAF in. Mine didn't run right until they took my truck back in.