Computer In A 95

OldSlowReliable

Looking at this GREAT 95 pathy that the guy says all it needs is a new computer. Priced a few JY's and about average is 50, but some are 20-30....I figure I go over there (140 miles) with an ECU, see if it is the problem, then if it IS, I buy it and drive it @ college. If it ISN'T, I walk away...

My question is, how hard is it to swap out an ECU and are there any special things like reprogramming the key fob, (it has remote start and alarm) and if it matters what YEAR I get...

thanks again guys and gals

The ECU just unplugs and a few screws hold it in. I'm not sure if the computers between the 94-95 and 90-93 are different because of the newer electronic dash. I also think the factory alarm is separate from the ECU as it has it's own control module, and the remote start is aftermarket correct? I doubt either of things affects the ECU it's self.

How does he know the computer is bad?

It's not hard to replace, but you will have to remove the passenger seat to get to it.

Done it to mine to check for codes (didn't realize I could just slide it)

The ECU just unplugs and a few screws hold it in. I'm not sure if the computers between the 94-95 and 90-93 are different because of the newer electronic dash. I also think the factory alarm is separate from the ECU as it has it's own control module, and the remote start is aftermarket correct? I doubt either of things affects the ECU it's self.

How does he know the computer is bad?

IDK how he knows, but I'm assuming he took it to a garage and they told him it needed a new one....all I know is its fully loaded w/moon roof, and it would make a nice DD, and has an alarm and such that will be helpful @ college...

so it is really just plug n go? cool, hes asking a fair price, but my mom wants me to get it for 400 bucks and thats her only price....

I'm assuming the 94/95 ECU will be the only two compatible years. Of course your transmission matters too. But 93 and below had a mechanical speedo (some 93's had an electronic if i recall correctly but i don't think the sensor was the same).

And I think the security is separate from the ECU as well (Under the driver's seat?)

I'm assuming the 94/95 ECU will be the only two compatible years.

x2. Oxygen sensors used on 94-95 and 90-93 are completely incompatible. Titanium sensor ("thin", M12 thread) was used on 90-93 and zirconium ("fat", M18 thread) on 94-95. They have totally different voltage output. As a result, 94-95 ECU has different HO2S input circuit, incompatible with early version.

If you shoot me your VIN I can tell you the applicable ECU's for your vehicle.

I can also tell you what vehicle application the ECU that you have will work on if you can send me the part number on the ECU.

Edited by Alkorahil