Advice On What Truck To Buy?

HankG

Asking this here because of how knowledgeable and relatively unbiased you all are (as long as no one mentions Jeeps or Hondas). I've been really missing having a little truck and am thinking of picking one up. I have a pretty specific wish-list combined with a somewhat tight budget, so I'm not sure I can actually get what I want for the money I have.

What I want:

Small truck (hardbody, tacoma, ranger, etc)

Extended cab (or any variation of as long as it's two doors and has room behind the seats)

Power windows/locks

Air conditioning

Manual transmission

Decently powerful (it doesn't have to be hugely so; I just don't want it to be slower than my pathfinder)

4WD and fairly capable off-road in stock condition with some good tires

6' bed

I'd like to keep it below $3,000 if at all possible. I can do, or get help with, a decent amount of work, but I would prefer not to have to actually replace any of the major components if possible. As far as looks go, it doesn't have to be the prettiest thing, but I don't want a beater either. I prefer older body styling, but I'm not sure if the older trucks had everything on the list.

So, if you had this wish list, and this budget, what truck would you choose?

Thanks a bunch for any help. :)

Late 80s and early 90s Rangers with the 2.8C, 2.9EFI, or 4.0EFI. The 2.9 is the worst engine for reliability, efficiency, and power. The 2.8 carb motors are torquey as hell and bullet proof. The 4.0s are an all around excellent engine and the Rangers with them get awesome gas mileage because they are light and powerful, especially with the manual. As with most drivetrains the manual is the way to go, much more reliable and better gas mileage. Overall they are cheap and very good trucks, they won't let you down. Tacomas are somewhat expensive and have frame rot issues and finding a good condition Hardbody with 4x4 and any options is hard especially with a low budget. Older Chevy S10s are good trucks as well if you get the 2.8 or 4.3TBI versions. My dad had an '84 S10 2.8 manual that had 480K+ on it, all original, when he traded it for a quad trailer.

With what you want, domestics are generally goeing to be cheaper. Hardbodys have the same frame rot issues as wd21 Pathfinders, Tacomas have frame rot issues as well. Rangers have some common rot places as well(core support, rear spring shackles, mounts for the front suspension,etc... basicly the same issues as Explorers) Basicly anything with some years on it, look for rot...everywhere. All have their pros and cons, it's gonna be more in you finding the one that matches your option list within your price range and in decent useable shape. PS, Rangers also have TTB front suspensions depending on how new you get... take it how you want but I personally kinda like it.

Old S10's with the 4.3 vortec(the 200 hp one) are little monsters(only for 92-93 I think)They will get up and move with these engines and will lite the rear tires up(depending it you have the lsd) for about 15 feet.(and they build low end torqe and have a lot of after market sttuff for these trucks.

But most of the latter first gen s10s have a termo acuwator for shifting into four wheel drive...these suck,they are notning but trouble,but there is a cable drive that takes care of the problem.

HardBodys have the same problem as pathfinders,they only make 153(v6) hp at most and there frames rust.The frame rust is usally easyer to fix then on pathfinders and if you find a 4 banger and your not worried about power then thats the engine to get,since it has a timing change instead of timing belt.

The Ford ranger depending on the model is a ok little truck,they dont have the same looks(unless you get a 88-older) then the s10 or Nissan,they do have ttd fronts and ether a 7.5 or 8.8 rear end.TTB fronts are great because there almost as tuff as a solid axle but they eat tires.

Tacoma,same as nissan,frame rots and not a lot of power,and I dont believe the build quility is as good as the chevy or nissan.

Mazda b2200...after 93 they where the same as the ford ranger.

Dodge Dakota...Well they have bad trannys(318 v8) but they did come with v8s from the factory,but the build quility like toyota is not up to snuff and they rust pretty fast(all dodges do)They have great power with the 318 and if you add a body lift,bigger auto tranny pan and a aftermarket tranny cooler then you should be good,unless you tow a lot with it.They wont shift into over drive at -20 but other then that there good trucks that can take a beating and can fit 33s with out any trouble(body lift)

Old S10's with the 4.3 vortec

I hate doeing spider rails on them, though "most" of them have been since changed or junked already...Lets make a plastic fuel delivery system on top of the engine instead of a normal metal fuel rail setup! It will be great! Some people in design areas just deserve a full swinging kick in the balls with steel toed boots by Sasquach...

It all depends onhow the truck was designed...I'm sure the people didnt think the frames on nissans would rot out so fast and I'm sure when GM was designing the fuel system they were thinking that it would keep costs down and work just as well...

Rangers are notoriously troublesome (body, suspension are most issues). S10s are meh, common, not to bad with a 4.3, never buy a 4cyl. Frontier would be my first choice, though I'm kinda a Nissan lover, they are pretty stout, reliable pickups.

Well, based on your guys' recommendations and a lot of research, it looks like my best bet is an early first gen frontier. Nissan reliability, either 4 cyl which has a power:weight ratio similar (if not better) to the pathfinder and gets decent mpg, or a v6 with the same hp as the pathy but in a much lighter vehicle (and same fuel economy :P). They're also a lot cheaper than Toyotas (which I don't really want anyway due to their insane popularity around here). Second best bet would be a third gen ranger. Decently sized engine in a fairly light truck, fairly inexpensive parts, and about the cheapest 4x4 truck. I'm just a little leery about the ranger due to the issues I've read about, but it would probably be fine. I think I'll just keep an eye on local sales and just grab the first really good deal I find.

Thanks for the help everyone.

My dad had a late 90's (I think 97) 2wd Ranger with a four cylinder and 5sp, and he loved it. Not sure which 4 cylinder it had, I know it had the twin spark set up though. It was very reliable and had decent power for a 4 cylinder. They're very popular and have very good aftermarket support, although most of it is for high speed long travel suspension desert pre-running/racing. Only get a manual though. The V6 auto is one of the worst designed automatic transmissions ever. They rarely make it to even 100k, and cannot be used for towing at all.

If you are planning on hauling people don't expect anyone older than 12 years old be able to fit in the back jumpseats though!

Can't go wrong with a Nissan! Depending on what year you get the 3.3 Supercharged V6 was an option, but that will probably be out of your price range.

Don't forget to look at Isuzus as well! My friend had a 4x4 Isuzu truck and enjoyed it very much (he later sold it, but that's because that's just what he does with vehicles, he buys and sells at least one vehicle a year usually).

My dad had a late 90's (I think 97) 2wd Ranger with a four cylinder and 5sp, and he loved it. Not sure which 4 cylinder it had, I know it had the twin spark set up though. It was very reliable and had decent power for a 4 cylinder. They're very popular and have very good aftermarket support, although most of it is for high speed long travel suspension desert pre-running/racing. Only get a manual though. The V6 auto is one of the worst designed automatic transmissions ever. They rarely make it to even 100k, and cannot be used for towing at all.

If you are planning on hauling people don't expect anyone older than 12 years old be able to fit in the back jumpseats though!

Can't go wrong with a Nissan! Depending on what year you get the 3.3 Supercharged V6 was an option, but that will probably be out of your price range.

Don't forget to look at Isuzus as well! My friend had a 4x4 Isuzu truck and enjoyed it very much (he later sold it, but that's because that's just what he does with vehicles, he buys and sells at least one vehicle a year usually).

the 3.3 is a peppyer motor then the 3.0,I had the abilty to drive a 2003 crew cab one...and I must say I liked it a lot...