300 Ge Half Way There

TheCrow

Greetings Pathfinder fellows

As some of you may remember 6 month ago I salvaged a 300 GE from the junkyard , and made all necessary paper work to re register it and allow it on the road .

The vehicle has been in the junkyard for almost 3 years .

Well I am today in about 50 % of my project the G is running now not in perfect health condition but I was able to take it an off-road trip before it broke down today on the road as mentioned in another post .

To give you an update on the work done so far .

Cosmetics :

Done :

Stripped the truck to the metal and I was very pleased to see that it had no sign of previous accident nor a single spot of rust .

Painted the cabin from inside and outside in Olive green and the under chassis in black

New shiny signal pointer covers for front ( Orange ones )

New upholstery done for the dashboard , the steering wheel , the seats and doors .

New cover for the flooring and trunk

Roof covered with chamois

Console painted in a lacquer coat to shine ( still considering fixing a new part )

I know the interior could have been done better but due to lack of expertise and parts in Qatar I found it to be satisfactory with the means that I have around here .

To be done :

Change the speedometer

Fix the sun roof

Fix new rubber frame to the back doors

Fix new head lights ( crystal type )

Mechanics :

Done :

Installed a new battery 100

I have removed the fuel tank and washed it

Changed the fuel pump / fuel filter / air filter spark plugs and spark plugs wires

Oil and oil filter

Removed the radiator and had it flushed and reworked the pipes inside it .

I have changed also the break pads and break linings without changing the disks as they proved to be in good condition .

I have kept the original rims and fitted 31 x 10.5 x R15 Kumho road venture MT tires on it .

To be done :

Change the distributor ( found out today )

Change the part under the distributor 103 07 ( found out today )

Change the water pump ( found out today )

Change the steering pump

Change the shock absorbers ( Postponed as I am still thinking whether to go for a 3 “ lift or not )

Find out why the lockers are not working and fix them

Change the water tank for the wind shield washer and the head light washer ( cracked due to heat and sun effect )

Fix the exhaust spring is leaking and check other exhaust depots ( the truck is so loud that I cant hear the phone while driving ) and it smells the smoke inside the cabin on high speed .

Heat from the gear box is getting into the cabin ( need to fix this problem anY suggestions ??? )

Wish list :

Snorkel

Suspension lift

35” tires

Winch

Military rims

Roof top tent ( preferably Maggiolina from auto home or ARB simpson III )

Some pictures comparing before and after

Before

IMAGE_035.jpg

IMAGE_036.jpg

IMAGE_038.jpg

After

DSCF0158.jpg

DSCF0112.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg

ReG

Shebl

Heat from the gear box is getting into the cabin ( need to fix this problem anY suggestions ??? )

Personally, if its not a malfunction with the gearbox itself....I'd just go under there with some 18g sheetmetal and make a heat shield...shouldn't be too hard to make an easy one that hovers above it and it should help out a bit. Or maybe insulate the floor under your carpet somehow?

Thanks Kingman and creekkid .

Personally, if its not a malfunction with the gearbox itself....I'd just go under there with some 18g sheetmetal and make a heat shield...shouldn't be too hard to make an easy one that hovers above it and it should help out a bit. Or maybe insulate the floor under your carpet somehow?

Since the floor is isulated I think i need to do the heat shield .

My GF and I have been looking for a SUV or truck to replace our 3rd car as something more robust and safer than a Honda Civic. I have been leaning towards an R50 (due to the air bags) but would love something like yours. As a first generation German-American, I know the value of Mercedes, but I'm not sure if I can find a reasonably priced/good condition one around here. What year is the one you have??

B