Help With School

Kingman

So I've been thinking, I know I've been messing up in school lately and slacking off, mostly at the start of the year. Now I'm rushing around trying to do make up work in the 2 classes I have at my actual school. My CWP teacher is awesome, she's letting me make up work at a good pace and really taking time to help me out, which isn't deserved but it's very helpful. My English teacher is crazy. She yells and screams at anyone who asks her to clarify something and the tells them to ask a classmate what she just went through. But when we do, everyone else is just as confused. I also have to leave class 15-20 minutes early every day for Skills Center, so I know I miss quite a bit, which would be why I have an F right now. She did, however, give us an opportunity to come in last Saturday from 11-3 to do make up work and go through some things with her to pick our grades up. However, I couldn't do that because I have a job and my boss wouldn't let me not work because we were so busy. Also since it's winter time, we're getting busy and busier and staying later and later at work, sometimes 2 hours after we close. That means less time for me to get homework done and keep up on the chores I have around the house.

I know I could afford not having a job, well, because I did it since Sophomore year. Selling stuff (no not drugs!) and somehow I always ended up with a little bit of money for gas in time. If I quit my job now and completely devote my time to making my grades up so I can graduate, I doubt I would be able to pick back up at Les Schwab next semester with a clean plate. My dad's been threatening to make me quit my job so I've been thinking a lot about ways to make up my grades without having to quit. Does anyone have any ideas?

Able to maby get a lesser hour shift? Study some through breaks? Sorry, I would skip school on days we were swamped at work :shrug: Heck I left part way through days if it was bad enough... Yea look where I'm at now, spelling issues, limited short term memory(everyone jokes and sais I have photographic memory, but no film...I need new friends) and am easily distracted.

I would get a lesser hour shift but my job is closing, and that's a lot of the problem I have with working late. I'm the last person to leave work every night.

Edited by Kingman

While you do need $ to get by, the 'extra' that you get by holding the job at the expense of your grades/education/graduating is not worth it at all. There are far better things to look forward to than Les Schwab in life and education makes it more accessable.

A quick fix I don't have. I spent years in college and one of pieces of advice I would share is 'Don't fall behind'. Once you do, it is hard as hell to catch back up. As for the crazy biatch teacher, well you will have crazy biatch bosses some times. Better learn to deal with it as best you can. You can learn, despite them; it is called self taught and people have been doing it for a long time... ;)

Focus and use your head, it's your best chance.

B

Able to maby get a lesser hour shift? Study some through breaks? Sorry, I would skip school on days we were swamped at work :shrug: Heck I left part way through days if it was bad enough... Yea look where I'm at now, spelling issues, limited short term memory(everyone jokes and sais I have photographic memory, but no film...I need new friends) and am easily distracted.

*sends a piece of fluff floating towards nunya*hey heads up...

grades/education/graduating is not worth it at all

That's pretty much where I'm at in this whole train of thought. This would have been much easier if nearly $700 didn't slip through my fingertips within the past month or two. And in all honesty, I really don't know where it went. My bank stubs don't seem to be adding up like they should. :shrug:

Had that not happened, I would have no problem taking time off work to get my sh!t straightened out because I can float with that much for quite a long time as I don't require much, but as it stands I have almost nothing to my name. That raises the next problem, which is insurance. I can afford to drive to school and home on the $25 a week I get from a left over boat payment, however I cannot afford the $105 a month for insurance which my dad quit paying since I got a job. He also said that he won't pay it if I have to quit because of school, says it's a way for me to learn my lesson. Fair enough.

I talked to my friend and he brought up academic pull-out for the Skills Center. It's an online class thing where people with missing credits can take 1 day a week, Thursday, and go to some room somewhere and work on making up the credit online. Hopefully tomorrow I can talk to my counselor and see what she says about trying that out if it's at all possible.

I completely understand what I'm learning in school, that's never been the slightest bit of a problem for me. What I don't understand is what exactly I'm supposed to turn in and when. That's where my teacher goes nuts is when I ask her about stuff I missed or to clarify something in that regard. If she told us to write a paper, it would have been done a long long time ago and with a high score as with every paper I've ever turned in. But no, she has to make us do all these little steps while poorly explaining them at the same time. When I was talking to my friend about the pull out class he asked me which teacher I had for English and I said Ms. Cutter. He said "well there's your problem! Cutter is an idiot.":chairfall: That seems to be the common consensus among students who have/had her.

Edited by Kingman

Uhm kingman you missed B's point

The point is that the job is not worth screwing up your education

I second B's recommendation: don't get behind. It's nearly impossible to pull yourself out once you get behind. I know I'v tried, and as such my GPA for college went from 3.5 to 3.0 due to one F

That being said the only employer I know of who actually gives a @!*% about what your GPA was in college is Google

I didn't miss his point at all. That's why I said it's where I'm at with the train of thought, as in quitting my job is most likely what I'm going to do, but I simply saying that it would be an easier process had my little mishap not occurred. I've been thinking of quitting for a while now.

Quitting will also allow me to stay after school and get help from my teachers. However, if I can do the academic pull out and make up the credit I will lose if I fail this semester then I will. I will know by tomorrow if I can set up a plan to complete that while keeping a job. If I can't do that then I'll quit Les Schwab. That one English class is the only one that's screwing me up. I'm hoping that if I do have to quit, that it'll give me enough extra time to make up the 40% I need to pass the class. Doing the academic pull out removes me from that English class completely and transfers everything to the once a week online course, which I hear is extremely easy...

The plan is to talk to my boss tomorrow and explain the situation with school and ask him if there's any way I can only work maybe one day a week, Saturday, for the next 6 weeks. If he doesn't go for it then I'll tell him that I need to quit.

Falling behind sucks,I falled my 9th grade year and had to do the class your talking about,215-430 every day...for 2 years...and that was only after I changed schools to a school that offered that class...otherwise I would be a senor this year...I got a job at wal mart to pay for gas(the sheet metal shop was cutting down on week end help) (it was 26 miles each way) and ended up parking the mud truck(I went from driving 1.7 miles each way and having my dad pay for the gas to 26...and the damn thing got 4 mpg if I kept my foot out of it)and I would of still been there if I didnt find out that I could do the stuff in my studie hall...

And yeah,I agree with nunya I seem to have short term memory lose...woot...but I dont know why...and a ringing inmy ears from grinding stuff...but thats self indueced...

Dont fall behind in the first place and that your golden...

NUNYA...try reading a book...there those things with all the pages and typeing on them...it seems to help...gets your mind working again...

Well I quit today, I talked to Tom whom I feel most comfortable with. He was very understanding but really sad to see me go as are the other managers. He had a lot of wise words to give including "you're an outstanding worker and you have an entire lifetime to work, but only one change to graduate. Get it accomplished and then come back." Everyone I work with was like "no come back!" as I left...