Clutch Failed

ticker

I had just pulled into a parking lot today and had stopped to let a few people cross in front of me when something let loose. It felt like a stall only a bit louder/harder. I even looked to see if I got rear ended, but I then realized the clutch pedal was on the floor. Fortunately a few nice people helped me push the pathy out of the flow of traffic. I had it towed to the mechanic but they wont be able to look at it until Monday. For the last 11 months I had been getting a intermittent noise during the first few shifts that seemed like it was the TOB. It had stopped for the summer but had been doing it every day for the last few weeks and I have been waiting for something to happen. Well I don't have to wait any longer. So I'm going to have to wait a few days to find out exactly whats happened, which totally sucks.

I have one question for now, after the pathy got put on the flat bed I noticed a small puddle of what I thought to be gear oil, it was dark so I was going by smell, where it had been parked. Why would it be leaking oil?

i bet it was brake fluid. (from the master or slave cylinder leaking) most likely the throwout bearing went, and the slave fork was let go, which let the slave cylinder over extend and let all the fluid out.

I second sammy, unless what ever bound/let go took the front input seal of the tranny with it. How many miles on it??

It had stopped for the summer but had been doing it every day for the last few weeks and I have been waiting for something to happen. Well I don't have to wait any longer.

Sorry, but that's funny, how you said it. Personally, when I think something is about to fail, i usually try to schedule the repair but that isn't always possible or even works out better... :shrug:

Good luck, hopefully it just needs all the bell house fixings. They are probably going to work you on the labor though, unless you know them well...

B

I second sammy, unless what ever bound/let go took the front input seal of the tranny with it. How many miles on it??

Hopefully it was just fluid from the master cylinder. It has about 120,000 miles on it.

Sorry, but that's funny, how you said it. Personally, when I think something is about to fail, i usually try to schedule the repair but that isn't always possible or even works out better... :shrug:

I hear you on the repair, It happened so infrequently that up until now that I figured that it would eventually get worse and I would have time to take in. I mean I seriously did not hear the noise for like six months, then a few weeks ago it started every day, just once, and I have been stressing about it ever since. In fact on the way to the store I was asking myself, "I wonder what wil happens if this thing @!*%s the bed?". Not to mention that I'm super broke at the moment.

Good luck, hopefully it just needs all the bell house fixings. They are probably going to work you on the labor though, unless you know them well...

B

I'm pretty sure its going to be spendy, but I trust them to do good work.

Edited by ticker

I had to swing by the pathy today to grab a blanket and tiedowns so we could p/u a xmas tree with my wifes car. While there I took a peek underneath and noticed that a hydraulic line that goes into the transmission area was hanging down. This is obviously where the fluid was coming from. Other than that I have no idea what that means, although it does explain why the clutch pedal was on the floor. Do I have any right hoping that this was the fail point and not the clutch?

Yes, actually, this may be very good news. Hopefully that is your clutch line hanging down. If the line ruptured or even the slave cylinder failed, the tranny probably doesn't need to be removed. I'd take a better look, or are you going to let the shop handle it?

I see you are in Ohio, perhaps this is just rust damage?

B

Yes, actually, this may be very good news. Hopefully that is your clutch line hanging down. If the line ruptured or even the slave cylinder failed, the tranny probably doesn't need to be removed. I'd take a better look, or are you going to let the shop handle it?

I see you are in Ohio, perhaps this is just rust damage?

B

I'm going to let the shop handle it. It's already in their parking lot, its 25 F right now, and I'm not really sure what to look for. It is 11 years old and they use ridiculous amounts of salt here so rust is definitely present.

Thanks for the reply :beer:

i would be present while they work if possible bc transmission shops know that people don't really have a clue. Try bringing the point up to them about what you found with the dangling hose.

I just had my transmission done and the transmission shop wanted to rebuild the tranny and it was just my torque converter.

mb it was just the shop i went to anyway goodluck

i would be present while they work if possible bc transmission shops know that people don't really have a clue. Try bringing the point up to them about what you found with the dangling hose.

I just had my transmission done and the transmission shop wanted to rebuild the tranny and it was just my torque converter.

mb it was just the shop i went to anyway goodluck

I hear you. This is a general repair shop that's been around along time and has always been fair and honest with me in the past. I do plan on talking to them about the hose in the AM just to be sure they know I know.

Clutch still working, it was the part that attaches the hose to the transmission that basically disintegrated causing all the fluid to leak out and the hose to come off. I know I could have fixed it myself but I know it was done right.