Front Axle Upgrade?

N2mesnob

When driving in 2WD turning is ok but when I'm in 4WD it feels like the front axle wants to bind up if I go more than a quarter turn on the wheel. Needless to say when I have to I only put it in 4WD when going straight and lane change and 2WD when parking.

So I had this crazy idea...

I was thinking is there an upgrade for the front axle???

Something that will allow me to make better turns in 4WD without fear of binding.

Is there an aftermarket company that makes front axles that have better U or CV joints?

Or is there a rig I with better 4WD turning that trasplant to replace mine?

Also i just wanted to share with yall some pics of my rig before and after I put 1.25in wheel spacers on...

before

P9190579.jpg

P9190580.jpg

after

P9190581.jpg

P9190582.jpg

The last pic if you look close you can see the front one is done but i had not gotten to the rear one yet.

I was thinking is there an upgrade for the front axle???

Something that will allow me to make better turns in 4WD without fear of binding.

You need a completely different transfer case (with inter-axle differential), not a front axle. Any transmission without center differential (or automatic center clutch, like 2005 Pathfinder ATX14A transfer case) will "bind" on 4High/4Low when you make a sharp turn on a road with a high-traction surface.

Edited by Terrano1992

save your 4wd for mud, dirt, gravel, snow and ice and you will not have this problem.

You may aloso notice that in 4wd there is a coupling of the brakes (front wont lock up unless rear locks up) this is nice in low traction areas and you will lose this if you go to an inter-axle differantial.

Inter-axle differentials are better for AWD street vehicles because on the trail they can turn you into a 1-wheel-drive.

Inter-axle differentials are better for AWD street vehicles because on the trail they can turn you into a 1-wheel-drive.

Can't agree. I know at least 2 good AWD offroad vehicles - Lada Niva and Mitsubishi Pajero (with "SuperSelect" transmission, not "EasySelect"). Both have manually engaged central diff lock, of course.

Last Nissans (JDM R50 Terrano Regulus, 2005 Pathfinder, Armada) uses hydraulic clutch (with electronic control) instead of inter-axle differential. Clutch can be fully disengaged ("2H" mode), partially engaged ("Auto" mode, limited slip allowed, so clutch acts like inter-axle diff) and fully engaged ("4WD Lock" mode).