Problem Installing New Wheel Bearings

HawkeyePrinting

Hi all,

After spending $1800 on the Partsfinder getting the tranny all back in order,

Driving home I managed to grenade another wheel bearing. No big deal I need to learn to do this anyways, it seems to happen often. Anyways I took off everything, Pressed in new inner and outer grease seals and tried to slide the rotor+hub onto the spinle. the rear bearing seems to stop on the spindle almost 3/4" too soon, so now I can't thread on the wheel bearing lock plate.

I picked up these parts from Canadian tire, but they seem to fit well in the hub so I'm at a loss as to what is wrong.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Nick Hawkeye

Does the ID of the rear bearing slip tightly into the spindle until it buts up to the end? Try it without the rotor and hub, just the bearing ID.

B

I tried that and it only goes halfway until the spindle gets too wide, about 3" from the inside of the spinde, did they sell me the wrong bearing, the cup pressed in perfect to the hub :s and the outer bearing I tried and it cant even make it over the threads of the spindle.

Sounds like they sold you the wrong bearings as they should fit on the spindle with little to no effort. I'm guessing you at least eyballed up the old and new berings along side each other if you didn't have a caliper to measure and compare. Any chance of identifying the bearing numbers etched on the bearings as another form of quick check. They could of put the wrong bearing in the right bearing box number.

Yes, that is one issue I was alluding to. Calipers are the best way but cross referencing numbers can also give info. Hell, you could probably eyeball the difference...

Sorry, but it sounds the the bearings you have are wrong with too small of an ID. Research before you remove them though...

B

Yes, that is one issue I was alluding to. Calipers are the best way but cross referencing numbers can also give info. Hell, you could probably eyeball the difference...

Sorry, but it sounds the the bearings you have are wrong with too small of an ID. Research before you remove them though...

B

I would have compared the bearings vs. the new one except the old set came out in about 40 pieces. I will get a new set from Nissan, see if the ID is much bigger, it's confusing that the bearing cup pressed in perfect to both sides of the hub.

The only prob;em you should have is getting the snap ring back on and after shooting it off a couple of time it will go, if something else is going on you have the wrong parts. I suggest finding a heavy-duty supply shop, ecavators etc. They can get you top of the line bearings at a fraction of the cost. Canadian Tire bad for specific stuff like that.

I have never been able to find bearings for our turcks that fit...I experienced your problem several times and always opted to find used bearings and i have like 4 sets now so I always have a spare...here are some images of what i found:

original bearing:

20500780009_large.jpg

new bearing:

20500780008_large.jpg

my topic:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5844&view=&hl=bearings&fromsearch=1