Will Not Go Over 2K Rpm

dee3

I have a 94XE 5spd with 160k. Just bought last week.

It runs pretty good at idle. I did a tune up and had it timed 15• It will not go over 2k rpm without misfire and seems like it will die.

I replaced the cap and rotor today and spark plugs oil etc. MAF o2 etc good.

Checked codes Code 55 and no cel so ??? Any thing else to check?

It idles good and runs good but after 2k it all goes south

If it isn't showing any codes, it's getting good gas and spark then I would guess that the timing belt jumped a tooth or two on one cam sprocket or something.

When was the last time the belt was changed. It is 105k intervals.

That's a lot of work to check though so lets hear more opinions...

i heard theres some kind of timing belt "guides" you need to replace/adjest with every timing belt adjestment with some vehicles. Pathys could be one of those vehicles.

No, just the belt and tensioner.

B

If it isn't showing any codes, it's getting good gas and spark then I would guess that the timing belt jumped a tooth or two on one cam sprocket or something.

Yet another version - low fuel pressure. When you have 1.8-2.0 bar instead of 2.4-3.0 - no codes, engine starts and can normally work at idle, but can't go over 1500-2000 rpm and almost dies when you try to open throttle wide.

"Limp mode" rev limit should be 2500-2800 rpm, so...

one quick and easy check is the air intake "boot", the rubber piece between the MAF and the engine intake, mine was split right at the engine intake but at the bottom, very hard to see if not really looking for it. After cleaning my MAF, replacing dist cap, plugs, and O2 sensor I just happened to notice the split. Got a used one at the JY and has been fine since.

Yet another version - low fuel pressure. When you have 1.8-2.0 bar instead of 2.4-3.0 - no codes, engine starts and can normally work at idle, but can't go over 1500-2000 rpm and almost dies when you try to open throttle wide.

"Limp mode" rev limit should be 2500-2800 rpm, so...

That was my first thought.... tho i don't know as much about these engines...

it will rev past 5k rpm when cold with little to no problem but when it starts to warm up is when it starts misfiring cutting out etc. It has never died but I don't trust it not to. Causes of Limp Mode?? I think I am going into it when warmed up.

it will rev past 5k rpm when cold with little to no problem but when it starts to warm up is when it starts misfiring cutting out etc. It has never died but I don't trust it not to. Causes of Limp Mode??

Most common causes are coolant temp sensor or low fuel pressure. Maybe both at one time.