Sway Bar Disconnects

94pathfinder

Yep, and called it SAS :wiggle:

No reason to make them; the front doesn't flex very well until you grab a torch and cut the IFS off.

My buddy has them on his Sheep and they work well (not IFS)

Removed the front sway on mine entirely and left the back one in place. Body roll is only slightly exaggerated without the front sway and original bushings on the rear one. Driven it all the way to North Carolina and back like this without any handling issues. Kind funny when starting out because the torque cause the one corner to lift up more then the other without the sway bar.

Try it this way and you might decide it isn't worth trying to come up with a disconnect. I did.

A disconnect for the rear is good for when you off-road.

Edited by andreus009

I don't have either sway bar on mine. It is a bit tippy in the turns but not terrible. I dont know if it made a lot of difference on the trail, but it did seem to help some. Either that or I just told myself it was helping and I believed it. :mellow:

• 4 months later...

I made a set of quick disconnects for the rear sway bay. I noticed about 4 inches more travel with it off. I just don't know what to do to keep it from hanging down below the axle when disconnected.HPIM1831.jpgpicture with sway bar disconnected

Edited by jwmyers23

Just remove the front, it's worthless. Even with 5" of lift on my 93, mine doesn't roll and different with rear only. I have both removed on my 88 and it has tons of body roll, but I kinda like it. On the rears, if you want a quick disconnect option, just unbolt one end link, takes 5 minutes.

I made a set of quick disconnects for the rear sway bay. I noticed about 4 inches more travel with it off. I just don't know what to do to keep it from hanging down below the axle when disconnected.picture with sway bar disconnected

I disconnect 1 side only, that gives freeflex and keeps it from hanging donw. @ some point I plan to invert the sway bar so the ends mount to the axle and the clamps mount to the frame. The ends on the axle will be heims with a lync pin and when Its disconected they will clip to a braket on the body to keep them out of the way.

Edited by MY1PATH

Never understood the need to disconnect both sides, don't taking one loose basicly make the swaybar useless since it ain't solid from end to end?

exactly, it controls sway by twisting like a torsion bar and wanting to return both ends to the same height.

with one end disconnected there is no force to twist it so the free end just does whatever the opposite end does.

HPIM1855.jpg

The disconnect I made. I took out the swivel bolt, had the cup filled with weld, and drilled a hole for the pin. Works great.

I like that, same idea, but no tools needed (aside from making it that way). Most discos I have seen cut the drop bar in half and had a sleve with a pin.

Thanks, I work for the govmt so I have alot of time in my day to think up stuff like that. It works great I can take the pin out without getting under the pathy. The pin is for a hmmwv windsheild.

Edited by jwmyers23

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up on my sway bars after both broke the same day. I have a hole in the floor under the rear seats where the thing let loose under compression. I have completely changed the rear end to a triangulated 4 link with no sways or pan hard. The on road handling i find is not anymore unstable than before just more body roll. Its still my daily driver too :P

• 3 months later...

My pathfinder has 3+3 lift I run no sway bars. I would say removing the sway bars made about the same amount of body roll increase that the 3" BL made, That is just my opinion though. Removing the rear sway bar make a big difference in offroad flex.

• 1 year later...

HPIM1855.jpg

The disconnect I made. I took out the swivel bolt, had the cup filled with weld, and drilled a hole for the pin. Works great.

FAIL !!! :doh:

It sounded like a great idea too bad it wasn't. The idea behind the swivel bolt is so when the sway bar flexes the bolt can move with it. See where I'm going. The solid pin just snapped the SB links.

Here is the problem with a quick disconnect on the rear. The end of the sway bar will move up and down as the axle moves. It will actually move so far up that it will hit the bottom of the truck. That's not a problem if you don't have the link hanging strait down. A quick disconnect will always have part of the connecting link hanging strait down from the upper mount. So imagine how long the link will last with the sway bar moving up and down and hitting it. Our best bet is to just remove the upper link mount on one side and swing the link down and zip tie it to the sway bar so it stays out of the way. Or just completely remove it.