Maf Sensor Upgrade?

SunnyTK

Before I start, Just wanna mentioned that I tried Searching but only came up with how to clean the maf, and sensor issues

Last night, I ordered an ebay ram air intake, and I noticed that the pathys MAF sensor is very small and restrictive compared to the intake piping.

Now, I havent gone out there to measure anything, but the Pathy's MAF LOOKS like it is about 2" - 2 1/2" through.

So I was thinking... The 300zx (Z32) has basically the same designed motor... The 300zx MAF sensor is 3" in diameter, which looks to be the same as the ebay piping diameter, and also alot less restrictive...The 300zx MAF is a big upgrade for 240sx's however, the car will need a piggy back tuning program to manage the fuel. The 300zx (Z32) MAF code is N62.

Just wondering if anyone has tried and tested the 300zx (z32) MAF on the pathy's?

Edited by SunnyTK

housing and sensor. i dont think the housings are the same, but again, not sure and wont get my hands on a 300zx MAF until monday.

I have a 300zx MAF wiring harness laying around, I already know that I will have to splice, and re-wire the 300zx MAF to the Pathy's Maf :crossedwires: , but I dont know if I would need a tunning program... because it basically is the same motor, fuel maps should be pretty similar. The N62 MAF was used on all DOHC VG30's in the 90's turbocharged or not, so really I dont see that much of a difference, but their might be a reason why they didnt put them on pathy's.

I just noticed that the VG33 from the R50's have a similar MAF to the DOCH VG30's (Z31)... anybody tried to use a (R50) MAF on a (WD21)?

Edited by SunnyTK

That would be a good upgrade alot of ppl do that for my z31 300zx (vg30e or et). It is very common upgrade for them but i am pretty sure they have to use a tuning program for it to run right. Another MAF people seem to use is a mustang one.

ya its a common upgrade for any nissan sports car, but i know for 240sx (s13) and (S14), you will need some kind of piggy back like a apexi safc.

I also did a similar thing back in the day to my old Toyota supra (but used a lexus v8 MAF), and also needed a apexi safc to control the fuel.

I spoke with Clark Steppler at JWT a few weeks back, inquiring about turbocharging my Pathfinder. He said the stock VG30e MAF was good up to about 270 hp. I think that if you are making less power than this, making it bigger isn't going to do anything for you.

JMTCW,

Bob

I don't have much input on this other than I have a spare (truck) maf housing that I plan to bore over (probably incrementally larger) and test to see if it compliments my headers/custom exhaust. It might be a suitable alternative... :shrug:

B

Bob, how is the diameter related to HP? Seems to me the MAF size should be related to the engines bore, stroke, compression, RPM, etc (air volume capacity).

If your information is correct, then the biggest restriction is the stock air box/filter??

yeah i double checked on my z31 forum and you would need some way to tune it. It would probably have some weird stubble because our ecu and recognize the into from the z32 maf or the cobra maf.

Edited by edicer2

^ya I was worried about what the MAF might send to the ecu...

This only came to my head becuase I wanted to find a way to make a constant 3" intake without a 2 1/2" restrictive maf. And its not worth it to go get $300 for another Apexi SAFC when I have no plans to turbo/supercharge the motor...

^ya I was worried about what the MAF might send to the ecu...

This only came to my head becuase I wanted to find a way to make a constant 3" intake without a 2 1/2" restrictive maf. And its not worth it to go get $300 for another Apexi SAFC when I have no plans to turbo/supercharge the motor...

would be cool to supper charge or turbo it though :)