Mitsubishi Monteros

navygz19

My brother in-law is looking to get a 4x4 winter run-around vehicle to do some ski runs and what-not and so far, this is the best bet yet. He really wants an X, but for what he's looking to spend in cash (less than $4k) all he's turned up are 2000's with a million miles on them and just as many stories from the P.O.'s to go along with them. He's not interested in Exploders (they're a dime a dozen), and WD's in the northeast are nothing but oxidation experiments these days...and R50's (sob) are not an option. He found this one in Hartford for sale by a guy who owns a small (illegal) dealership and doesn't speak any english. He drove it today; it shifts great and sounds perfect...no trans. slippage and has lot's of power.

3n63m63p15O45Se5Rb9adc7dfc4852f74142f.jpg

3n83kd3m65Q05Pe5Rb9ad4d21e5d4ef211a31.jpg

I dig the stock clinometer and altimeters these things have as well as the retro interiors. Anybody have any experience with them??

Edited by navygz19

i owned one of them. pajero here in australia. all the mod cons to go with it. wasnt bad on fuel. towed a trailer nicely on a beach aswell. heaps of power. and the all wheel drive factor was exellent aswell xonsidering you could go from 2wd to all wheel drive when driving up to 100km per hour. only fall back is doing a clutch. its a royal pain in the a$$ and very expensive. but over all for a 4by ill give it a 8.5 out of 10

I'm not much for the newer ones, but I've owned a couple of the older 80's 2 door monteros and raiders. Those ones are awesome. They even have a spring loaded suspension under the driver seat. Similar to an air ride seat in a semi. I'm trying to pick up another one from a guy on craigslist at the moment.

Elko11.jpg

Edited by Morningwould

Oh those things...lol. My buddy had one for a few months. We wheeled and beat the piss out of that thing before he got rid of it. Awesome little rig, went through anything we wanted it to. We bounced it off rocks, lived off the redline, plowed through mudholes, jumped it, etc.

Doing a quick google they have even less aftermarket support than we do! :lol:

Yeah no kidding, but he's not too interested in making it a trail rig. We'll throw on some new meats and what-not but that's probably about it.

Sounds like a decent vehicle from what I'm gathering. Funny, anyone I've spoken to usually has a "my buddy had one of those" stories and they're usually the same...and I TOO had a buddy who had one and wheeled the hell out of it!

If I could only find a Mitsu. Raider... :beer:

any 4x4 suv is easy to tip over :shrug:

i say go for it, unless you can find an older 4runner or pathfinder. just make sure it isn;t a salvaged truck or has any liens on it

Edited by nige

I'm not much for the newer ones, but I've owned a couple of the older 80's 2 door monteros and raiders.

Elko11.jpg

Thats a cubby factor truck right there,gf traded her pick up for one,88 raider from utah

and its awsome,some kinda lift(I think 3-4,leaf springs) and 33inch mix and match

a/ts.But I have a Q aboot it.The 2.6 4 banger runs well but only when it wants to

it seems.when she got it,it needed a tune up and air filter.I bought a k&n and replaced

it.But it only runs decent when 2 of the 3 clips that hold the lid down are under instead

of on top and then installing the wing nut.If there not set up like that then it has no

power above 25-2600 rpm.does it sound like a vacuum leak or something else.I'm leaning to

ward a vacuum leak.

The new ones look nice but look kinda funky with the body kit steps on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we picked up a 1997 Monty with a hair over 220K on it last week. All things considered, the thing's in remarkably good condition; no dents, good paint, very clean interior and all electrical works. Driving wise, it's great...comes with the 3.5L rated at 200hp (I think). It's a cool truck...rear jump seats (like the Disco SE7's), factory rear air locker, full skids from front to back, factory altimeter/clinometer, etc.

It needs new tires (31x10.5) has a leaky valve cover gasket and bad heater core, otherwise it's fine. I'll post some pics up later.

Yeah I was actually under the impression it was front and rear locking diffs, turns out it's only rear.

As for the skids (not that I really trust any "skids" from the factory), there's one on the front, one under the subframe, the t-case and the gas tank. We'll see how built-up they really are :-)