Acceleration Problems ?

Dage

Hey all its been awhile.

Anyway i own a 1988 pathy im in Australia and my problem is ( i dont know a hell of alot about engines, a little) but ive noticed today im having trouble with acceleration , its gotten worse the more i drove it today , so im not driving it anymore , i can feel it jolting not heaps but enough mainly when i hit 3rd and 4th gear its like its struggling for power and yeah its getting worse

any ideas would be great

thanks Dage.

any ideas would be great

thanks Dage.

Well, I'm not the most experienced guy out there, but I know it could be a number of different things. A few easy things to check might be, fuel filter(may be clogged)If you run it really low on gas a lot fuel pump or injectors may be clogged, or spark plugs,plug wires,distributor may be cracked or worn, check throttle cable for ware or slack, Air filter could be old. I would buy some seafoam, and follow the directions on the can, may clear gunky build up. And last but not least check your Transmission fluid. These are just some things I can think of could be many other things, some of the more experience members would be able to service you better I'm sure. (just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents) cat converter could be clogged as well

Edited by olddirtyrake

Well, I'm not the most experienced guy out there, but I know it could be a number of different things. A few easy things to check might be, fuel filter(may be clogged)If you run it really low on gas a lot fuel pump or injectors may be clogged, or spark plugs,plug wires,distributor may be cracked or worn, check throttle cable for ware or slack, Air filter could be old. I would buy some seafoam, and follow the directions on the can, may clear gunky build up. And last but not least check your Transmission fluid. These are just some things I can think of could be many other things, some of the more experience members would be able to service you better I'm sure. (just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents) cat converter could be clogged as well

Thanks for that i found the problem maybe i should of posted this under tyres.............Cheap spare tyres !! it turns out the shuttering and jolting was my tyre splitting that was yesterday today it exploaded and i thought the ass end of my truck fell off ha !! thankfully my spare tyre not my main tyres i run >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>pics here

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

when i brought the pathy the spare came with it.

Its a Dunlop snow grip or some crap like that,i couldnt see any signs of it being a retread it looked unused but who knows how long it has been sitting around for before i owned it, just forked out 170 bucks for a Maxis A/T 30x9.5 looks pretty good for a spare! the tyres im running at the moment are Hankook A/T when i get a new set i might get 31s muddys or A/T not sure yet, been advised not to get any bigger than 31s somthing to with the drivetrain of my model pathfinder the guy said i would lose heaps of power being a Z24.

• 2 weeks later...

That's not the first time I've seen those re-treads blow up. I usually throw a couple of those away a month...

Good thing it didn't cause any extreme damage or cause you to flip!

• 3 weeks later...

That's not the first time I've seen those re-treads blow up. I usually throw a couple of those away a month...

Good thing it didn't cause any extreme damage or cause you to flip!

I quit running retreads when one blew on me and flipped around and crinkled my whole wheel well.

looked something like this:

accident_2009_08_14a.jpg

Edited by sencaw