Computer Help?

Toby

Got my laptop back today. So went to hook it up wirelessly to my router. Needless to say I've been in this spot for 3 hours after dropping numerous obscenities and damn near throwing this laptop and router. I've been dumbfounded.

I CANNOT connect to my internet. It works fine for my desk top. But my laptop refuses to. With security enabled I am not even getting the option to connect to the network. It shows up but I simply get "connect to another network" or "diagnose problem." Both lead me nowhere. I'm just completely dumbfounded.

Now I simply have an open connection with no password. But yet I am not getting any real connection. Just "limited connectivity". I go to disconnect and reconnect and I get the same thing.

Please help. I am not entirely technologically gifted. I know enough to get by but this is leaving me stressed and exhausted.

I remember going rounds with mine too. Are you trying to network to the desktop, or just access the net via the router?

I let my laptop search for wireless connections and chose mine, then entered the WEP key and pasword to access the router.

Trying to connect wirelessly. It shows the network as available. But when I go to connect I get some BS about how it can't connect. I don't even get prompted to enter any passwords.

On an open connection (with no security on my router) I get some crap about how I only have limited connectivity

So here's a good first step. Connect to the router on your laptop then try to bring up the router set up page (for linksys routers you point your web browser to http://192.168.1.1 the default password is admin, leave the user name tab blank). If you can't access the router set up from your laptop you'll have to do it from your desktop, make sure you leave your laptop connected to the router. From the router set up page you *should* be able to figure out what's wrong, as long as you're fairly tech savvy.

Heres how you should have it set up on both sides. Router should be set up as an open wireless network using automatic DHCP. Laptop network settings should be set up exactly the same (automatic DHCP, router assigned IP address). You should have no restrictions or options enabled on the router.

Possible things that have gone wrong: router or laptop set to an option besides auto DHCP, router set to allow only cetain MAC Addresses, incompatibility between your wireless card and the linksys router (I highly doubt that unless you have a really crappy wireless card).

When you say you "got your laptop back today" what do you mean? Was it in for repair? If so, I've seen quite a few times where they forget to hook up the antenna wires to the wireless card. If you put the laptop right beside the router and get a connection, that's probably your issue.

When you say you "got your laptop back today" what do you mean? Was it in for repair? If so, I've seen quite a few times where they forget to hook up the antenna wires to the wireless card. If you put the laptop right beside the router and get a connection, that's probably your issue.

Had the Hard Drive replaced. Again.

But for a minute I turned off my security on the router and the laptop got internet. Then I went to turn it back on with hopes it'd stay connected and recognize the network and it didn't.

Had the Hard Drive replaced. Again.

But for a minute I turned off my security on the router and the laptop got internet. Then I went to turn it back on with hopes it'd stay connected and recognize the network and it didn't.

What do you mean you "turned the security" on? Did you switch to an encrypted network, require a password to connect, turn on MAC address blocking?

What do you mean you "turned the security" on? Did you switch to an encrypted network, require a password to connect, turn on MAC address blocking?

enabled the security that was on it. so yeah I suppose a switch.

My sister got it to work today.

I've had quite a few problems with our Linksys routers. Currently I can't even get it to hook up. Ran the diagnostic, big whoop, went to the set up page, tried to re-install the software, etc. Nothing works...