Lsd (Limited Slip Differential)

SunnyTK

I have never ever seen a sticker anywhere on the diff's of any of my old nissan trucks.

What i did to test if i have lsd, was go down the street to a buddy's yard, and do a little burn out, did it a couple times, and only 1 tire would tear up the grass/mud, and it wouldnt go anywhere. I did that last year with my 89 SE 2-door (which had a LSD) and both tires tore the grass/mud. And about 3 days ago in the rain, it wouldnt catch traction nor swing the rear end loose

It's a sticker so yeah it "can" come off, but very few people have ever reported that a sticker did in fact come off. Usually they are just covered with dirt and grease and that leads people to think that they are not there... but again, yes it can come off.

a mechanical test is best by far, but looking for a sticker is a good easy start wink.gif

It's also possible that a PO added an LSD to an axle not originally equipped with one, thus no sticker biggrin.gif

Anyway

Jim, the link works for me car-part.com

Just a quick point about the orange sticker. My pathy came with Ziebart so the sticker was invisible. It can also fall off I'm guessing. The better way is to jack up the rear and give the wheels a spin. IIRC if they spin in opposite directions then you have LSD if not then, well you don't ;)

ehhh.... isn't it the other way around? if both tires spin the same direction, you have LSD.. if they spin opposite directions then u dont? :scratchhead:

spin the same= LSD (its locking them together)

spin opposite= Open (its dissipating the energy going through the drive train)

umm... i beg to differ on that, or it may not be the case 100% of the time.

I just recently sold me Nissan 240sx, and it had a vlsd (viscous limited slip differential) and i jacked up the rear end spun 1 tire, and the other would go the opposite way. That being said, it was my drift car, and it spun both wheels all the time on the pavement.

umm... i beg to differ on that, or it may not be the case 100% of the time.

I just recently sold me Nissan 240sx, and it had a vlsd (viscous limited slip differential) and i jacked up the rear end spun 1 tire, and the other would go the opposite way. That being said, it was my drift car, and it spun both wheels all the time on the pavement.

Different LSDs will lock up at different points, some will allow a lot more wheel spin before engaging. With the stock h233 LSD usually it will lock in pretty quick.