Lsd (Limited Slip Differential)

SunnyTK

K, I dont quite know how to work this new form type, So I hope I did the right thing in the right section lol.

quick question, Would a LSD from a 91-94 Nissan 240sx fit in a 95 XE pathfinder? Just found out today that the XE models dont got the LSD (found out the hard, but fun way)

oh i noticed that i have a diff up front, but im not too sure if they are the same open type front and rear, But i do know that the rear is open

Edited by SunnyTK

K, I dont quite know how to work this new form type, So I hope I did the right thing in the right section lol.

quick question, Would a LSD from a 91-94 Nissan 240sx fit in a 95 XE pathfinder? Just found out today that the XE models dont got the LSD (found out the hard, but fun way)

oh i noticed that i have a diff up front, but im not too sure if they are the same open type front and rear, But i do know that the rear is open

I don't think i've heard of a 240 having the correct LSD for our rear axles.......but there is a common swap from a 300zx that we grab their rear LSD, and it fits our Front IFS differential.

Really, your rather lucky yours is open in the back, because you can more easily get a locker (not all lockers will fit the LSD carrier), so maybe look into that route?

Btw, my XE has LSD, and I don't think any came with an LSD front diff from the factory

There is very little definition along the trim lines (XE/SE) when it comes to what options go with what trim levels.

Many XE's have LSD's and there are lots of SE's (including mine) that did not come with one ;)

I don't think i've heard of a 240 having the correct LSD for our rear axles.......but there is a common swap from a 300zx that we grab their rear LSD, and it fits our Front IFS differential.

Really, your rather lucky yours is open in the back, because you can more easily get a locker (not all lockers will fit the LSD carrier), so maybe look into that route?

Btw, my XE has LSD, and I don't think any came with an LSD front diff from the factory

The 300zx LSD swap is not common for several reasons. One they are almost impossible to find, and when you do find them they are ridiculously expensive. This is because they are very big with the drifting and rice community. Also it is not just a straight drop, modifications have to be made for it to fit properly in our front differential.

As mentioned putting in a rear LSD is much easier. If you can, just grab the entire rear axle because as (AFAIK) all rear LSD axles also have rear disc brakes (unless of course you already have rear disks).

The 300zx LSD swap is not common for several reasons. One they are almost impossible to find, and when you do find them they are ridiculously expensive. This is because they are very big with the drifting and rice community. Also it is not just a straight drop, modifications have to be made for it to fit properly in our front differential.

As mentioned putting in a rear LSD is much easier. If you can, just grab the entire rear axle because as (AFAIK) all rear LSD axles also have rear disc brakes (unless of course you already have rear disks).

afaik its the only front lsd option though.

No they don't all have discs. Magregors old 95XE and our parts 95XE both had an lsd diff with drum brakes.

Though mine is an open diff with drums... fail.

If you can, just grab the entire rear axle because as (AFAIK) all rear LSD axles also have rear disc brakes (unless of course you already have rear disks).

afaik its the only front lsd option though.

wrong and wrong.

the type of diff you have has NO effect On what type of rear brakes you have

and camini & 4x4 parts both sell front lsd

Hmmm. Lockers i hear? :)

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=165_313&products_id=741

Are there any lockers for the front? I dont want to get a air-locker becuase they are way over pricey

not sure, but I'd think a full time locker would not be too great on CV's, but someone probably makes them SOMEWHERE

not sure, but I'd think a full time locker would not be too great on CV's, but someone probably makes them SOMEWHERE

I dont see how it would be any different than a LSD, and LSD's dont do any damage to CV's. Im no mechanic or engineer, but as I see it, there would be less torque going through both axles at once, as apposed to a open diff where all the torque goes to 1 at a time.

I dont see how it would be any different than a LSD, and LSD's dont do any damage to CV's. Im no mechanic or engineer, but as I see it, there would be less torque going through both axles at once, as apposed to a open diff where all the torque goes to 1 at a time.

An LSD "can" slip, lockers do not. It's true in just about all IFS street legal production trucks. Lockers just tend to not agree with them when one wheel gets ito a positon that it cannot turn... something has got to give and the CV tends to be the weakest link. Compare it to a rear solid axle, a locker can break an axle shaft in them aswell... and they tend to be a lot stronger than CV's :togo:

Another question for you though, are you sure you don't have an LSD... it could just been heavily worn.

Easiest way to tell is to look for an orange sticker on the back of the. The other way would be to jack it up and do a mechanical check.

If you truely have an open diff then you are good to go with a locker, but if you have an LSD then you will need to get an open diff carrier to install a locker

wrong and wrong.

the type of diff you have has NO effect On what type of rear brakes you have

and camini & 4x4 parts both sell front lsd

Well that's why I said AFAIK, I had never seen or heard of an LSD rear that had drums up until this point. :shrug: I just assumed that if they threw the LSD in there you got the disks too.

Well we all know what happens when you assume! :lol:

Another question for you though, are you sure you don't have an LSD... it could just been heavily worn.

Easiest way to tell is to look for an orange sticker on the back of the. The other way would be to jack it up and do a mechanical check.

If you truly have an open diff then you are good to go with a locker, but if you have an LSD then you will need to get an open diff carrier to install a locker

Just a quick point about the orange sticker. My pathy came with Ziebart so the sticker was invisible. It can also fall off I'm guessing. The better way is to jack up the rear and give the wheels a spin. IIRC if they spin in opposite directions then you have LSD if not then, well you don't ;)

Edited by ticker

Okay, there is this site that found long ago where you can find any parts for less. Its a national database for salvage yards and the best thing to do is search for your part in ALL AREAS, not just local to you. They ship so much that you get really good deals on shipping cost. Do an ALL AREA search, then look at page numbers at bottom of the page and select the one with the * beside it. That is the lowest priced part. Go there and work your way up the list. Things at the bottom sometimes say they have damage or something, so read the comments. The site is car-part.com and I have saved a ton of money over the years ordering stuff from them.

The "link" option is not working on the forum in IE by the way... :)

No they don't all have discs. Magregors old 95XE and our parts 95XE both had an lsd diff with drum brakes.

Though mine is an open diff with drums... fail.

Yeah, my 94 XE has the LSD, but no disk brakes. I thought about upgrading that...