Diesel Swap

My motor over heated and seized up while my dad was towin his concession stand with it and I want to swap a diesel motor into my 95, but I dont kno if any diesel companys make a motor small enough. Does anybody kno of a diesel small enough

Before anyone recommends an engine to you have you thought this through? Do you understand how much work is involved in doing a diesel engine swap? It's not simply a matter of putting a new engine into place. You have to replace the gas tank, fuel lines, transmission, transfer case (unless you import a Nissan diesel engine), drive shafts (once again assuming you don't use a Nissan diesel), and replace the entire exhaust system. If you're using a newer diesel you'll have to rip out all of the old ECU and rewire for the new diesel ECU and new transmission ECU if you plan on using an automatic. Plus the numerous other little details you'll run into along the way.

Are you planning on still driving your vehicle on the street? Most state's SMOG laws prevent diesel engine swaps.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just making sure you're not biting off more than you can chew!

That being said yes there are diesel engines that will fit. Nissan made a four cylinder turbo diesel called the TD27 that was available in Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and South America. It makes 98HP and 159lb/ft of torque which is far less than the V6 your pathfinder probably has, and is less powerful than even the KA24 four cylinder so it is not what you are looking for. Nissan also made an inline 6 diesel called the TD42, which would give you a small increase in horsepower and a decent increase in torque. I have no idea if it would fit in the Pathfinder's engine bay.

International makes a four cylinder diesel that will probably fit. You would probably see an increase in horsepower and torque.

My personal suggestion? Look into installing an electric fan, it will increase your cooling ability quite a bit. Flush your radiator, and add high performance antifreeze. Make sure you're not towing more than the Pathfinder is rated to tow. If you have an auto (hopefully you do, it increases your tow rating by a significant amount) MAKE SURE you have a good external transmission cooler that is not fitted in line with the stock cooler. The stock transmission cooler clogs and causes your transmission to overheat and fail. Running a cooler in line with the stock cooler does not prevent the stock cooler from clogging and will not result in any cooling. Install a good cold air intake system, headers, and a full exhaust system. Squeeze as much power out of the V6 as you can.

My motor over heated and seized up while my dad was towin his concession stand with it and I want to swap a diesel motor into my 95, but I dont kno if any diesel companys make a motor small enough. Does anybody kno of a diesel small enough

You can easily source a Nissan TD27 for your '95 but be prepared to put in a lot of time, work and moolah. ;)

TD27 is definitely short on power, but they are very reliable and are very economical. If you really want to go the Diesel route, look at getting a QD32T, the Terrano R50 came with them, more power, still pretty economical from what I have heard.

If you want to stay Nissan. Then find yourself a SD33, or a SD33T. If you are not stuck on Nissan, then find a Cummins 4BT. The 4BT is the engine I want to put into mine when I get around to putting a new power plant in. My little Z24 just isn't enough.

Edited by Morningwould

Are you sure about this? I thought the manual was rated @ like 5k, and the auto was like 3500

It's the opposite the auto is rated at 5k and the manual is rated at 3.5k

AFAIK this is the same for most modern automatics vs manual transmissions. Part of this is because most people don't know how to drive a manual and the factory didn't want to be replacing burned out clutches under warrantee, and part of it is due to using parts in manual transmissions to make them easier to shift and drive at the cost of strength.

i also want to be able to blow smoke if possible and yes i understand how much work it takes to do a diesel swap ive helped a friend do one before but he had a gas f250 and we put a cummins in it the reason i had to ask is cause his truck has a huge engine bay but the pathys engine bay is really small

In my Diesel Tech class we're going to be swapping a John Deere diesel motor in to either a Pathfinder or a little Datsun 720. The John Deere puts out about 55hp and like 130ft/lbs of torque and we should easily be able to get 50 mpg out of it.

X2 on what Morningwould said about the Cummins 4BT.

• 2 weeks later...

We couldnt find any diesels so we just picked up an old Pathy engine with 97,000 miles on it and were workin on it now

Only 97?

That is basically brand new for these engines. Mine's at 230k and hasn't had any engine problems (transmission is another matter)

• 2 weeks later...

Only 97?

That is basically brand new for these engines. Mine's at 230k and hasn't had any engine problems (transmission is another matter)

yeah the one we just took out had 210k and didnt blow till he tried towin the trailer