Key Code

PATHFINDER95NI

Yup, some younger, inexperienced hands broke off my OE key in the door and now I need a new key. I have called all the Nissan shops/dealers and they have said that the code has been erased. I am looking at taking out a door cylinder and having that redone but I was wondering if there are any other steps that I may have overlooked.

Thanks all!

Nick

I thought all 90 and later nissans had key codes recored by vin. Did nissan lose ALL those records?(or am I just wrong)

A talented locksmith can make a key based off the tubmler arrangement of a lock. I think any guardian security shop or other reputable shop should be able to do that.

OR you can have a random key cut and have all your locks and IGN keyed to that new key. A new key and fresh tumblers makes a lock harder to pick.

A talented locksmith can make a key based off the tubmler arrangement of a lock. I think any guardian security shop or other reputable shop should be able to do that.

OR you can have a random key cut and have all your locks and IGN keyed to that new key. A new key and fresh tumblers makes a lock harder to pick.

Or down the middle, the locksmith can take the broken key and hand cut a new one from it.

Back in the mid 90's, the dealership had to record the key code dring registration, a practice that was usually skipped due to lazyness. Now a days they are recorded right at the factory.

Look in your glove box, look for a sticker with a X____ code on it. Thats your keycode.

If not, call a local locksmith and ask them how much it will cost to make you a key. They can either use a wax impression, or remove the door lock cylinder and using the tumbler orientation create a key from that. Phone around, expect to pay probably $100-$200 to have it done.

I'm with GG on this. Get a blank, line it up nice and clamp them together. Get to work with a dremel and a set of needle files, start large and test it for (smooth) operation. Once you are there, wire wheel it and you are good to go. I have replicated several bent, etc keys that way.

B

I would call around to some other nissan dealers. A couple of years ago I went to my local dealer with the x code off my glove box. He said he just needed the VIN. I told him I would come by the next day and pick them up. He quoted me 20 bucks each. When i came by to pick them up the next day Another guy was there and he gave them to me. I asked where I pay for them at, He said don't worry about it. So I got them for free. And they both worked flawless in my truck.

Copies of copies will eventually get off enough to cause problems. The ones that came with my 2nd hand truck was an old copy and thrashed. I had to wiggle it in all the locks to get it to work.

Dealer I used was Superior Nissan in Fremont,CA They also asked to see my registration and ID before they would make the key

Mark

Edited by msavides

When you go to the dealer to get a key made do they make you a nissan key or some crappy universal one? I'm picky and keep breaking the cheap copies.

My keys I got from the dealer were definitely better quality than the ones you get from the local hardware store. The were nice heavy with rubber heads, They were not Nissan keys though.

Sorry for being absent so long after asking a question guys but Ive been busy with work and finding a solution for the 'Finder. Well thanks for the all the replies, but I was able to get the key cut after all! :jig: Yup, after all the searching high and low I call to order a new drivers door lock cylinder (thats the lock the key was broken in, and now cant be removed) and after talking with the parts person, she tells me to call 1.800.NISSAN1.

SO IF ANYONE NEEDS A KEY CUT, JUST CALL 1.800.NISSAN1 AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO GET YOUR KEY CODE IF YOU HAVE A VIN AND ARE AT THE DEALERSHIP. :aok:

Thanks again!

Nick

Back in the mid 90's, the dealership had to record the key code dring registration, a practice that was usually skipped due to lazyness. Now a days they are recorded right at the factory.

That is correct. They were supposed to record it in the Nsisan database when the vehicle was sold to the original owner, some dealerships did, some did not. Since about 2002 IIRC they have all been recorded.

here is a photo of the key. It was a curtis brand key.

f_2cwaa6qm_48e37f8.jpg

That is the same one home hardware cut me and it broke in 2 months. I'm looking for oem nissan key blanks. You'd think they could order something like that. I'm one of those people who likes everything to be original lol.

Edited by adamzan

That is the same one home hardware cut me and it broke in 2 months. I'm looking for oem nissan key blanks. You'd think they could order something like that. I'm one of those people who likes everything to be original lol.

I think the Key is (pardon the pun) To get the key cut as accurate as possible and not so much the quality of the key itself. If the key works smoothly (cut properly) you should not have to put much pressure to turn the key and it should not break. An improperly cut (even slightly off) will put extra wear on the key and on the tumblers on the lock. That is why I always stick to the 1 copy rule. I have an original cut. and make only 1 copy from the original. I never make a copy of a copy. When I bought my truck. the key that came with it was from Ace hardware and was worn considerably. It did not well in any lock (only when wiggled in the lock) It would not even open the rear glass hatch lock (the most unused lock on the truck) This makes since cause the lock was in practically new condition and the key was worn. The tumblers had not worn out with the key. I was not going to make a copy of that old key. When I got my new keys cut from Nissan it worked perfectly and smoothly in the glass hatch lock. This told me that the key was cut properly and was not going to cause unnecessary wear. This key also work quite well in every other lock on the pathfinder as well.

It is much cheaper to replace you key every year then replace the most used lock cylinder when it wears out. especially if you keep an original cut key unused and use it only to make a copies. And getting a key made of a harder metal could cause the tumblers to take all the wear.

This is just my take on it. others may have a different opinion.

Mark

Edited by msavides