Help Needed Cv Boot Replace

BigD21

Hi,

I'm an 88 Pathfinder owner in need of some advice in regards to replacing torn CV boots, Has anyone done this proceedure, if you have can you please give me some advice on how to pull it off .. wo 2 go!

I have the oem boots and the grease and the "well equipped" home workshop .. .. just no clue on the process

Thanks in advance

BTW: Some bogan pathfinder owner in west sydney stole the original FSM from Penrith public libruary and if your reading this grow a concinse and give it back! so we all can benefit!

the hardest part is pulling the CV out of the truck.

For the inners, you just pop off the metal backing plate and then remove the snap ring on the tri-bearing and slide it off, then slide the shaft out. Can't remember the outer procedure of the top of my head.

• 3 weeks later...

the hardest part is pulling the CV out of the truck.

For the inners, you just pop off the metal backing plate and then remove the snap ring on the tri-bearing and slide it off, then slide the shaft out. Can't remember the outer procedure of the top of my head.

Aye curumba .. thats what I feared the pro shops have a booty stretcher but in order for it to work you must be able to clear the CV at both ends .. yup it looks like the diff side is just bolts/nuts but the outer is a very large and super tight nut inside the locking hubs..

Maybe this could be a job for .. .. .. "Batmechanic" and his sidekick "Robthem" on the labour

well some things you just cant do yo self B)

• 2 weeks later...

Aye curumba .. thats what I feared the pro shops have a booty stretcher but in order for it to work you must be able to clear the CV at both ends .. yup it looks like the diff side is just bolts/nuts but the outer is a very large and super tight nut inside the locking hubs..

Maybe this could be a job for .. .. .. "Batmechanic" and his sidekick "Robthem" on the labour

well some things you just cant do yo self B)

CV removal on these is supposed to be a piece of cake, 30 minutes per side tops.

To do the outer boot, you have to remove the CV, remove the inner boot and joint, then slide the outer boot down the shaft and off. Installation is reverse of removal.

While I have replaced boots before, I don't bother anymore. By the time you realize the boot is torn, chances are you've got dirt/sand/dust/mud/other in the joint. Cleaning it ALL out so that you don't cause premature wear in the joint is very time consuming. For the cost involved, I just replace the whole unit with a rebuilt one, and save myself the hassle.