BL Confusion

Soccerstudd5

I just got my new wheels put on, black cragar soft 8's with 3.75" BS, (will post pics soon) and I have a little rubbing at full turn, or when turning around 45 degrees and hitting bumps. So I started considering a 2-3" BL and the only place I can find one for a 94 is AC. What doesn't make sense to me is that the 2" is $170 and the 3" is only $145. This doesn't seem to make any sense to me, and I would like to put just a 2" on it, but it's going to cost a lot more.

2" BL

3" BL

What's the reason for the extra cost on a shorter lift?

Could I not just get the taller lift and cut an inch off the lift blocks if I wanted to?

I'm doing my BL this Saturday, did everything myself. We had some 50mm solid aluminium bar here at work and ordered fasteners from one of our suppliers. All I need to sort out is the bumper relocation, which I may not bother with for now as I am looking at doing my own front bumper in the near future.

Sorry Dave, you needed the mounting dimensions. I'll consider that a reminder and will bump the priority. If the photos still exist, I showed pictures of what can (pathetically) hold your bumper in place until you finish the custom one in a thread, BL in the Garage section?? I'll look...

My 2" lift kit had cast 2" blocks, not cut down. Ask Red where the hell he bought it from... ;)

B

Sorry Dave, you needed the mounting dimensions. I'll consider that a reminder and will bump the priority. If the photos still exist, I showed pictures of what can (pathetically) hold your bumper in place until you finish the custom one in a thread, BL in the Garage section?? I'll look...

My 2" lift kit had cast 2" blocks, not cut down. Ask Red where the hell he bought it from... ;)

B

No worries bud, thats going on the back burner until the house sells anyway, have to do my BL, replace my windscreen & sort my intercooler/scoop out before I do the front bar. Am going to be doing the BL at JADM4x4's place this Saturday, he has just scored an ARB or TJM bar off a non forum member in exchange for some parts off his old 87

Friends of mine did both a 3" and 2" BL for a Frontier and Pathfinder respectively. Both kits were ordered from 4x4parts.com (AC) My understanding was that the 3" kit was more organized and had better instructions. With the pathfinder you have to order the radiator drop down kit separate. Also, if you do the 2" BL on the pathfinder you have to trim the fan shroud. Not so if you do the 3" lift, if understand correctly.

It seems likely you could cut the 3" kit down yourself, but all your hardware will probably be too long. Depending on how the hardware is threaded (full or partial length) it could cause some assembly problems.

I believe AC cuts down the 3" kits to make the 2" kit so you are paying for their labor. they will also sell you a 1"BL for $100 but you have to e-mail them for it.

That makes sense, but still stupid IMO. A 1" BL might be the right size for me as I'm just trying to avoiding rubbing, but then again, I don't want to have to do this again if I upgrade to 32's, which I'm considering in the future.

he has just scored an ARB or TJM bar off a non forum member in exchange for some parts off his old 87

Sounds like a good trade... I'm jealous! Would love to be able to get my hands on a bumper, I even have a parts car to trade parts off of.... tired.gif

Friends of mine did both a 3" and 2" BL for a Frontier and Pathfinder respectively. Both kits were ordered from 4x4parts.com (AC) My understanding was that the 3" kit was more organized and had better instructions. With the pathfinder you have to order the radiator drop down kit separate. Also, if you do the 2" BL on the pathfinder you have to trim the fan shroud. Not so if you do the 3" lift, if understand correctly.

It seems likely you could cut the 3" kit down yourself, but all your hardware will probably be too long. Depending on how the hardware is threaded (full or partial length) it could cause some assembly problems.

So with a 3" lift, would I need the radiator drop down kit?

That makes sense about all the threading, but I have a set of taps at home that could probably solve that problem...

I could always just get the cheaper one and see how I like it, who knows, it may be what I'm looking for. shrug.gif

Thanks for the help all, things are a little clearer... now if I only have $150. Being in college sucks sometimes!

Looks nice and quite the deal, no?? :D

Also, if you do the 2" BL on the pathfinder you have to trim the fan shroud. Not so if you do the 3" lift, if understand correctly.

I think you meant that backwards, but no for the 2" lift, all you have to do is remove the the bottom shroud bit. I know there are plenty of people with a 3" lift who didn't do the radiator drop.

Exactly...

That makes sense about all the threading, but I have a set of taps at home that could probably solve that problem...

Remember, these are grade 5 or higher bolts. As a machinist, I question how easily and nicely they will allow die threading... :shrug:

B

Looks nice and quite the deal, no?? :D

Remember, these are grade 5 or higher bolts. As a machinist, I question how easily and nicely they will allow die threading... :shrug:

B

Thanks B. I like how it looks too! biggrin.gif

That's true, didn't consider that...

Edited by Soccerstudd5