Removing CV

jimmycapp

Its actually super easy, just make sure your hubs are locked. And I also found it useful to have a friend hold a screwdriver in the slots on the side of the rotor to keep it from moving.

sooooo, do I have to un-bolt the lower?

sooooo, do I have to un-bolt the lower?

you can remove it by removing the balljoint (3 bolts) then...having someone pry the strut assembly towards the oustide of the fender while you bend into shape the cv to get it out helps a lot...

That's how mine were done...2 guys, about 15 minutes each side...

S.

I'd recommend staying away from the ball joints, more things to go wrong, in my opinion.

This is how I did it, just took out the literally 3 Bolts, and the control arm dropped down, then undid the bolts on the cv, with a friend holding the screwdriver in the rotor and took out the cv. Make sure you remove the snap ring first though. Here is a link to the FSM go to page 12

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/2001/ax.pdf

Edited by 01silvapathy

The only problem about disconnecting the strut from the spindle, is if you have a lift, you most likely have adjustable camber bolts, even if you don't have a lift, someone may have installed them.

If so, and you disconnect here, you will have to do an alignment afterwards.

Common practice is to disconnect the ball joint. It also gives you a chance to check the balljoint for siezing, or wear.

If something is going to go wrong with the balljoint, you'd rather it happen on the hoist then on the road.