Funniest thing yesterday when I went to the movies

MrJim

So I took my girl to a movie yesterday and as I pulled in, there was an old beater Bronco II sitting there with the hood up and a young couple inside.

I pulled up and asked him if they needed a jump? He told me maybe. He said his girlfriend (maybe 16 yrs old) said it was the alternator or the solenoid. I told him to turn the key and it the solenoid just clicked. I put the cables on and no change. I had him turn on the headlights and they were very strong, and so I told him it could the solenoid or even the starter. He told me that it was certainly not the starter because it was brand new and had just been put on. I told him new starters do fail. From my experience, I have been able to tap on a locked up starter before as the key was turned and have it start working again, so I looked under the rig to maybe try that and I saw the power cable that goes to the starter hanging with the starter end nearly touching the ground. I told him, this could be your problem. He looked down and started screaming (yeah) OH MY GOD!! THE FREAKING CABLES ARE NOT EVEN CONNECTED! THEY ARE HANGING DOWN ON THE GROUND!! and then without skipping a beat, he looked again and and screamed (seriously) HOLY CRAP!!!! (she said calmly, "what is it") HE SCREAMED, "THE WHOLE FREAKING STARTER IS GONE!!! OH MY GOD!!! SOMEONE STOLE MY STARTER!!! WHY??? WHY??? WHY WOULD SOMEONE STEAL MY STARTER?? ITS GONE! ITS GONE!! THE WHOLE FREAKING THING IS GONE AND SOMEONE STOLE IT!! Well, we (the 3 of us) were trying to rationalize this thing as this guy walked in circles with both hands on his head screaming. and we asked when they last started it and where did they go and how long did it sit? He was screaming in hysterics still as she told us that they started it at her house a few miles away and drove over to the theater and turned it off. Then decided to go eat first and they tried to restart it and it only clicked. He was outside screaming that the cable had been cut. Cut right off and then started screaming why again as he started back into his circling. I looked under the truck and could see the cable and it was ripped off at the bolt. I asked him when it would have been possible for anyone to steal or cut anything if they were in it the whole time? He was like, "Hey, Yeah..." and I told him that the bolts were not tightened and probably fell out causing the cable to rip when it hit the street. He insisted that was not possible because the starter was installed by and actual mechanic. (wow)... I told him mechanics are people and people make mistakes. I also told him if it was a reputable mechanic that they should replace this starter and labor at no charge. I offered my cell for them to call a ride as our movie (couples retreat) was about to start. They thanked us and I told him he needed to hang onto that gal as she really did offer some good mechanical advise and suggestions. (because clearly he was not going to make it on his own)... Once again... Wow....

Okay, I am off to get my 9500lb WINCH installed... Yeah baby!!!! Later

Edited by MrJim

That would be quite irritating, but to lose it?? Over a starter?? You should have asked him where the loud clucking noise occurred and tell him that's where he would probably find it...

A real mechanic??

*snort*

B

I've actually heard of people stealing dumb things like power window switches and crap(yes someone scaled the fence at work, broke into a totled car and was taking the switches. actually a funny story) . What did they think the thunk was when it fell? "Don't worry about that, couldn't have been anything important. Proably just a stone from the tire..."

where i come from in poland this wouldnt be uncommon. they will even steal the antenna for your radio and steal your license plates. If you have nice bushes in front of your house, you might come home to discover all your bushes / flower have been ripped out!!!

If you have nice bushes in front of your house, you might come home to discover all your bushes / flower have been ripped out!!!

Dude, someone did that to my wife's late grandmother here in Columbus, OH, USA!!!

I worked with a girl whose husband had the ashtray with some coins stolen out of his cruiser, they left behind the generator, fridge, compressor. In total they recon they got about $2.50.

I'm betting they just needed cigarettes, I knew of a dirtbag like that...

B

I know, it's possible.... someone stole my mud flaps.... I know they were there this summer...man ... WHY WHY WHY !!!! ????? rolling.gifrolling.gif
biggrin.gif
I've actually heard of people stealing dumb things like power window switches and crap(yes someone scaled the fence at work, broke into a totled car and was taking the switches. actually a funny story) . What did they think the thunk was when it fell? "Don't worry about that, couldn't have been anything important. Proably just a stone from the tire..."

My sister-in-law's brother, stole a starter from a chevy 4x4 that was parked next to him at the airport one time when he returned fom a trip to find... that someone has stolen the starter from his camero! (could have happeend to a nicer person, the ISL's Brother I mean, not the truck owner lol.gif )

where i come from in poland

shiftyeyes_anim.gif

:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

My sister-in-law's brother, stole a starter from a chevy 4x4 that was parked next to him at the airport one time when he returned fom a trip to find... that someone has stolen the starter from his camero! (could have happeend to a nicer person, the ISL's Brother I mean, not the truck owner.

So wouldnt that make him your brother-in-law?

Just throwing it out there...

from a camro...would of had to put it up on jack stand for that...

shiftyeyes_anim.gif

:laugh: