Ford Exploders

nismothunder

So as a few of you know my tranny went in my pathy...and now the 4x doesnt work in my 150 doesnt work and the fluid is burnt or something in it as well(really gotta punch it to get it to move...last fill up I got 10 mpg)So I talked to my mom(ready mommy,mommy I need your help) and shes agreed to buy me a decent second hand car(or truck) for winter driving.(read camaro is scary and rust free) so I've been looking around and found a few.

93 ford xploder,4.0 v6,5 speed stick,2 door,133k,4x4,need tires but the body is clean and it has new paint,white/black.No rust or bondo and the interior is mint.$1800

(and I can get a full STX body kit for $150 and I could probly turn around and sell it for 2k if its a lemon since it looks real nice)

93 ford bronco full size,302,auto,from cali,no rust,71k,blue,4x4,$3500

88 f250hd,new 302 with world products heads,headers,cam,little bit of rust but the kid that put it together dry lubed the wrist pins so it needs a rebuild,33 ssr's,dark grey with a little bit of rust showing above the chrome on the rear wheel archs.$2500obo

So I'm leaning towards the xploder since its a 2 door/stick combo,should get good mpg

and doesnt need any thing but new tires(bfg land terrains that are showing cracks between the treads

The bronco is a maybe if the test drive doesnt go ok on the xploder since it'll get at best 15 mpg with the 302 and AOD tranny.And the 250 is pretty much out since I dont have the time/space/money to redo the motor.

So if any one has any past luck with this gen xploder please speak up.

And the reason I'm not fixing the pathfinder yet is time/money/space and I've come to the fact that even since I fixed the frame in the rear the frame around the motor mounts is pretty much gone and it would be a ton of work to fix it.But the engine is still good(leaky rear seal=a lot of work)just had its timing belt,water pump,cam seals replaced at 178k,along with the rear end and t-case(there still good),rust free doors and hood and little stuff like speakers,p-side door handle,rear tires...but now the battory or altornator is bad(I can charge it up,drive it around,let it sit over night and come out the next morning and the battory will be died.

But the truck will stay until I get another pathy thats in good shape to build into a nice dd and trail truck.

I can't condone this ford infatuation you have but of all of the 3, get the bronco. One needs work (you already have enough projects) and the other one is an Exploder.

I'd stay the fark away from it...

B

I'd take a Bronco over an Explorer any day. However, of all the Fords we've owned the Explorer was BY FAR the best and most reliable of them all. 220k with very minor issues about a year or two years apart...not too bad.

I miss our old Broncos. Those things were beasts!

4.0/MT is one of the more bulletproof combinations Ford put out, and yeah they do pretty well for gas mileage. :aok:

I havent owned a full size bronco ever but I dont really care for the 92+ body styles...I've had a 86 b2 with a 2.9 and 5 spd but it was a free truck that needed a clutch and was more bondo then metal(really there was bondo half way up the windshield pillars)

And I found a 96 suzuki side kick thats white and has ok tires on it but has 160k and costs $1900 and I've looked around and every site I've found says that the engines last maybe 180k and they have timing belts not thats theres any thing wrong with them but I'm looking for something that doesnt need a lot of work and will last a long time.

And yeah I like fords but I only picked the good deals that I found.Full size blazers and s10s/s10 blazers are way over priced,I dont like dodges but I'm not saying I wouldnt buy one if the deal was right and all the jeeps I found are from 94-96 models and have the 4.0 in them with between 160-190k and they want 1600-2500 for them.And from what I under stand is there mainbearings start to go at 240k.

And nissans are way over priced as well.Theres a white 95 xe the same as mine and it has 130k on it and never had any maintance and they want 2k for it and the front fenders are all rotted out.

The broncos body is nice but the dash is really bad,cracked and faded,and the tires dont match.

And the xploder is a sport model and it really looks like it was owned by somebody that took good care to it and the carfax says that it was never in a accident.It doesnt have a cd player or big speakers and every thing like a kid owned it and its beat to death.And also I've priced newer model ploders and there was a 98 with the same engine(161k) and auto and it was owned by some kid cause the inside was hassed,cigerette burns,holes in the speaker covers and the center consel looked like some body attacked it with a knife and its priced 500 bucks more then the 93.

But what I'm looking for is something cheap and reliable...oh almost forgot,the broncos a push button 4x and the rear end is a 8.8 ,3.55gearsand the engine while a 302 is less power full then normal(non-cali sold) 302s.The xploder has 3.73 gears and has the front end style I like(boxy like nissans and 97-91 full size fords)

But ike I said if the engine and tranny are going south then I'll look at the bronco a little more closly(or I'll look the other way at the dash)

Explorer has new paint-thats a scary start to begin with with. Guarantee if from a rust belt area the quarter panel on the gas door side is messed with, the rockers have been touched and the core support is rotted or replaced. Have fun with the slave cyl if it goes bad, they suck. As B said your pushing it with all this blue oval stuff here... but I personally would go Bronco as well.

If you can find a bronco II that's the best option. Dana 44 front (if you get the right year), Ford 5.5 rear, good gas mileage, and a decent aftermarket support.

One question, why not just buy another pathfinder? :shrug:

Good point!! Hell, he already has a parts pig... ;)

B

Yep samari...

I saw one sunday and it looked decent but I dont know on the price and my mom thought I was joking when I should it to her...

but it looked nice but it had a flat tow hitch on the front and its at a offroad park so it maybe junk.And the 1.6 4 banger is slower then a moped and while they may get great milage I hear all suzuki engine dont last a long time with out a lot of work.

The xploder is really nice,I ran a magnit around it and it never lost its grip(1/4inch plus of bondo and no hold)

The engine looks clean but it looks like it was just pressure washed(no cleaned with degreeser) and didnt look to bad.I looked up xploders and the 90-94 are the best buy since there pretty much all b2 and ranger parts.Past 98 are junk with the 2002 being the worse year to buy because of tranny problems.

But then theres a 74 blazer with a 400/th350/np203 combo that just went up for sale...but I dont like 400 small blocks...I'll look at it but I dought I'll get it.The xploder isnt from around hear is what I'm starting to believe since there is no rust.Not even any on the frame rails.

And the xploder has a 8.8 in the back and a dana 35 ttb front witch is the same as b2s,and heavy duty rangers from the same era, not the 7.5 and 30 that went in strip down models.The 8.8 is a half ton axle.

Well I'm going to test drive it tonite and if all goes well I'll be picking it up tommarow and getting new tires friday(since money paying I'm getting some good meats...procomp xterrains probly sinces theres a sale going on.

And b2s and 4runners are hard to find...a buddy got a 85 with only 110k and new tires(junk tires) for 1100bucks but it has a ton of sufface rust and I dont plan on driving 250 miles to get a truck.4runners are all 93 plus,rotten and want 2500+ for them since there Toyota(they must last for ever since all of them seem to have 200k+ on them)

A sami on 44s...thats a milage champ...I could of bought one with chevy one ton axles and a big v8 for 3500 a year ago.

Well I drove the xploder and it runs decent.Brand new clutch and every thing,really stiff but gos in to gear slick.But I need to drive it again since the rear tires had about 10 pounds of air in them and I was a-swaying...

But then I found a classic with 97k on it.

A 77 pontiac bonaveel(Spelt Bonavelle but I pronoch it bon-eh-veel...like a player) for the same price,like new,301 v8,2 barrel carb.Was ownd back a guy that was 76 years old when he traded it in and I mean its mint.New tires,exhaust and the paint was just detailed(a nice yellow colar).It would be a shame to drive it in winter but you cant save them all.And think how good my jbls will sound with that big trunk under them for the boom...and I could even get a cheap pineer sub and box wire it up and it would rattle my whole town.The so called *tuner* cars and pick up truck gangstas (really there drive jacked up 4x4s but listion to tec9 and sh!tt and walk around grabbing there ballz...not thats theres any thing wrong with that its just that I secreatly wish I could be like them)wouldnt know what hit them

Edited by nismothunder

4runners are hard to find...a buddy got a 85 with only 110k and new tires(junk tires) for 1100bucks but it has a ton of sufface rust and I dont plan on driving 250 miles to get a truck.4runners are all 93 plus,rotten and want 2500+ for them since there Toyota(they must last for ever since all of them seem to have 200k+ on them)

there is a 88 with two engine available for sale over here for 2000 grand. If u want it, your gonna have to drive to pennsylvania.

If you can find a bronco II that's the best option. Dana 44 front (if you get the right year), Ford 5.5 rear, good gas mileage, and a decent aftermarket support.

One question, why not just buy another pathfinder? :shrug:

They do not have a D44 up front. It's a D28/D35 TTB front end.

A sami on 44s...thats a milage champ...I could of bought one with chevy one ton axles and a big v8 for 3500 a year ago.

Well I drove the xploder and it runs decent.Brand new clutch and every thing,really stiff but gos in to gear slick.But I need to drive it again since the rear tires had about 10 pounds of air in them and I was a-swaying...

But then I found a classic with 97k on it.

A 77 pontiac bonaveel(Spelt Bonavelle but I pronoch it bon-eh-veel...like a player) for the same price,like new,301 v8,2 barrel carb.Was ownd back a guy that was 76 years old when he traded it in and I mean its mint.New tires,exhaust and the paint was just detailed(a nice yellow colar).It would be a shame to drive it in winter but you cant save them all.And think how good my jbls will sound with that big trunk under them for the boom...and I could even get a cheap pineer sub and box wire it up and it would rattle my whole town.The so called *tuner* cars and pick up truck gangstas (really there drive jacked up 4x4s but listion to tec9 and sh!tt and walk around grabbing there ballz...not thats theres any thing wrong with that its just that I secreatly wish I could be like them)wouldnt know what hit them

Two things.

1) I thought you needed/wanted a 4x4 truck for winter driving.

2) You should not be allowed to type. Ever!. I have the disturbing desire to find you and cut off all of your extremities to make sure of this.

Thank you, I'm going to sleep now so I can have nightmares.

B

Yeah I was orignally looking for a 4x4 but my grand father,dad and uncle all drove a 78 bonavelle with the same engine from 78-94 and the car had more then 280k on it when it was finally junked.The car goes threw snow pretty good since its a full size and since it was a old mans car that looks like it was taken care of(really it looks new other then wear on the door handles from opening the doors)has new bfg T/A's on it and should last a long time I'm looking at it.But then again I think I would feel bad driving it in winter.I dont need a 4x4 for winter because I drove a 86 crown vic most of the time in the last few years(but it was a beater).I would still drive that but its starting to blow a little oil(191k),both front door handles are broke and the rear brake lines are froze on so I cant bleed them(new front lines and master cylinder)I would drive a fwd car but I cant find one with a stick (the bonnys a auto) and it seems like they have little to no traction on ice compared to my pathy or the vic.I looked at a nissan sentra with the 4 banger and a bunch of stuff done to the engine but I dont want a car with rotten rockers even though the sentra was pretty quick.I want a car or truck that will last a long time.But now I'm looking towards a 2 wheel drive 88 hardbody with the 4 banger,a stick,and only 70k on it...but its a 2(probly 1) wheel drive pick up...and pick ups suck in winter since theres no wieght above the rear tires.But yeah I'm looking around.I would of gotten slicks pathy but I would of felt bad driving it in winter since it looked real nice.I showed the car to my dad and he just smiled and said what would I want with it,I cant take that down to the river to my trails and its a old mans car.But it looks real good.I tried the xploder and every thing works in it even the factory casset player but we found a little rust on it(not bad for a 16 year old truck) just a head of the rear wheels on the rockers.Oh and its not new paint its just looks real good still.But it runs fine 4x works and all it needs is tires.

The k5 blazer is out because(like the bronco) it'll get 15 mpg at best(more like 10 with the 400).

But thats the same as my old k20...I'd make three hundred bucks and have to go fill it just and spend half of it(k20 was always thirtsy=4mpg)

And yeah I ramble on like I'm drunk and I cant spell(didnt you know that already) but when I ramble on its because I want to get everything I want to say out at one time.

i believe the car you are referring to, is bonneville. No such thing as a "bonavelle"

get the hardbody. I would never recommend an explorer to anybody, not even my own worst enemy. Why would you even consider that.

The xploder is nice,like I said it looks like it was taken care of,never smoked in and runs like new.The hardbody I dought I'll get since its been sitting at the same car lot for three+ years and is currently sitting on flat tires and covered in leaves plus they want $3500(plus its a base model,no ac or any thing) for it and I dont know what the frame looks like.The xploder I'm talking about is a first gen and there probly the best made.The second gen where probly the worse with the model year 2002 being the sh!tish model to get.The bonneville is thirty two years old and isnt rusty and has new tires,muffler and was just detailed.It looks nice and probly drives nice but I havent driven it yet but it was owned by a old man and has only 97k on it.