Should've paid attention

johnm

I pulled into a parking lot today at a small business, they were getting a delivery, so I thought, "oh I'll just park over here next to the fence and then the truck can get out." It's been raining all day, and next to the fence was typical alabama clay. I pulled in and didn't think twice. When I went to back out...wheel spin. The pathy had sunk a couple inches into the mud. I put it in 4H...4 wheel spin. I ended up getting out but left 6" deep ruts.

It was a little embarassing...first for getting into that situation, and second because of the ruts and the huge muddy mess I left in the parking lot. Next time I'll pay closer attention to what exactly I'm parking on.

yea! :D

And they would look cool too.

Seriously though, I'm thinking of going with BFG A/T or something similar. I kind thought about an all-season M+S, but I drive off pavement (or on crappy half-paved roads) just enough that I need an A/T type tire.

Oh and, you know, I shouldn't say I had 4 wheel spin, it was probably only 3 spinning...regardless I was going nowhere fast.

Edited by johnm

yea! :D

And they would look cool too.

Seriously though, I'm thinking of going with BFG A/T or something similar. I kind thought about an all-season M+S, but I drive off pavement (or on crappy half-paved roads) just enough that I need an A/T type tire.

Oh and, you know, I shouldn't say I had 4 wheel spin, it was probably only 3 spinning...regardless I was going nowhere fast.

bfg a/t got tested today by me, on a muddy muddy road, performed like a champ...you won't be dissapointed...

although, truxxus is apparently similar in price range

Yea, I had BFG A/T on an F150 back in the 90s and really liked 'em. Drove 'em on the road, sand, snow, rocky stuff (no rock crawling, just rocky trails).

I had a 4runner in the early 90s that had Kelly Safari SUV tires on it. I really liked those, they were great in the snow and mud when I went skiing in WA. It doesn't look like they make 'em anymore though. A buddy of mine had Bridgestone Revos on his 4runner and he liked 'em better than the BFG A/T they replaced.

I'd like to stick with the stock 265/70-15 radials, but that limits my choices quite a bit. So I'll probably end up going with 31x10.5x15 on the stock wheels, always assuming they'll fit. Living in Alabama I don't really have to worry about snow/winter weather, so I don't feel like I really need a second set of wheels.

Anyway, until I get some new tires, I'll have to remember to stay out of the mud.

Christ MZ, he said his pathy, not his back hoe!! :blink:

BFG AT are time tested tires, but also an old design. Had them on my last pathy and wouldn't hesitate to own them again but they are lacking in real mud. I went with the BGF MT KM2 this time around, but far too soon to rate them other than they hum a bit and have strong sidewalls.

Bridgestone Duelers (Revo AT, something whatever, someone will correct me) seem to be a favored AT tire. The tread design seems more versatile so consider them. Pezzy goes crazy places with them on her caR...

B

Bridgestone Duelers (Revo AT, something whatever, someone will correct me) seem to be a favored AT tire. The tread design seems more versatile so consider them. Pezzy goes crazy places with them on her caR...

B

Depends what country you live in :D

US and Canadia have "Revo's"

NZ (Maybe OZ too) have "D694's"

BTW "Bridgestone Dueler" is like saying "Nissan 4wd" There are a few :aok:

Having driven a pathy off and on the road with both BFG AT's and bridgestone duelers, I would definitely pick the duelers. The BFG's are way louder and rougher (but it is acceptable) than my duelers and on the trails I've been on, the dueler had a little bit more grab. I think I will be going back to bridgestone after these BFG's wear out. Though all my friends say the bfg's make my truck look more rugged. I don't care though.

I have the Bridgestone Duelers A/T on mine. I actually have both versions the Revo and the pre-Revo. The pre-Revo is a more agressive pattern and a harder rubber. It is also a little noiser, but not much in my opinion. Looking at the Bridgestone website it seems they have recently released the Revo 2 which is a further improvement to the Revo line. I think the Revo and Revo 2 are geared to improve the on-road performance and still give decent off-road performance. My preference is the pre-Revo type. All A/T tires are going to have trouble in any serious mud, but for essentially dry trails they should perform well.

:02:

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up, I got a set of BFG A/T KO, 31x10.5-15 on the pathy today. Those and set of new rear shocks appears to have fixed all my vibration, noise, ride and handling problems.

Plus, they look cool.